Merthyr Imp

Football Days

4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

well done Nottm Forest

Been on the sauce Mary? Get your glasses on & read it again :crazy: 

Not been on the sauce or need new eyes but i do no how to say sorry  with out offending any one

I know we have to take some of the media reports with a pinch of salt but this headline surprised me "Bail out for EFL clubs"

The media is saying that division one and two players may be put on furlough and be entitled to government help to supplement wages to a maximum of 2,500 pounds a month. I really hope than no taxpayer funds go to the Premier and Championship league prima donnas that get mega money. They should have stashed enough away from their multi million salaries to look after themselves. The should be no money going to the oligarchs that own the clubs either. It also seems that many clubs are laying off their non playing staff, (those who are probably paid the least)

I believe it would be a good time for many clubs to get rid of their non performing players first. Would they have redundancy agreements in the players contracts?

Long time (and long suffering) Forest fan here.

My first match was in 1968, I believe. My dad got given some tickets to a Forest home game against Blackpool, and took me along. I was 9 at the time. I think Forest won 2-0. I didn’t start going regularly until the mid-70’s. I remember watching Duncan McKenzie playing for Forest before his transfer to Leeds. I had a break until 1981 (missing the absolute glory years), but I then went to every home game for most of the early to mid 80’s. I remember Forest  beating  Watford 7-3 (Can’t remember the exact score) in the League Cup. I went for a pee just before half time and missed 2 goals. Had some really memorable matches when Forest were challenging for Europe and in the 1984 UEFA Cup run. I was there when we entertained Celtic at the City Ground. I was in the Bridgford End and quite a few Celtic supporters got in there, but there was no trouble and some great banter. A fantastic atmosphere and when we drew 0-0 we thought that was it, but we won the away leg 1-0. I also remember watching the Reds play Anderlecht in the semi-final, with Anderlecht in their Purple shirts. 

I couldn’t afford to go much after I got married and had kids, but I’d try to take my lad along to a few games each season. We W ere there when they played Sheffield Utd in the play-offs and Dawson got sent off. Also, when they played Yeovil in the play offs. 

I hardly go at all now, but still follow their progress with interest.

9 hours ago, TrevA said:

I remember watching Duncan McKenzie playing for Forest before his transfer to Leeds.

During his time a Forest he did two separate loan periods at the Stags. Made a total of 16 appearances and scored 10 go0als, not a bad effort.

It's just been announced that Barrow are National league champions and Notts County will be in the playoffs for a place in league football.

• Upvote 1

Barrow  in Furness?

• Upvote 1

Thanks Nottyash. I was born in Barrow so was interested. The name of Quigley brought back memories of sweet makers. Don't hear very much about Barrow so pleased they are doing well in football.

I'm not a football expert but even I know there was a Johnny Quigley in the Forest Cup-winning side of 1959.

Is there a connection anywhere ?

I don't know CT but as a child and through my teenage years when I stayed with my grandparents the name Quigley and Quiggins were always around. I seem to remember that they had a stall in the market selling sweets and local rock ( can't for the life of me think what they called the rock). Don't think I ever knew them but certain names even now take me back in time , I was about 5 when we left Barrow to come to Nottingham as dad joined the police force.