Margie # 24

Frequent bus services has been uppermost in my thoughts in the past couple of years. We bought some land in rural Buckinghamshire, well actually we've only paid the deposit so far. 2 years ago is seemed a brilliant and exciting prospect to build a house in a village equidistant between our two sons ........ then I started having major doubts about the whole idea. Firstly, the boys have their whole lives ahead of them and could move anytime (they probably don't want Mum and Dad within spitting distance after 11 years of us being 100 miles away!) And secondly, the bus service down there is nothing like what we've enjoyed living in Nottingham (plus there's not even a village shop). Where we live we don't even have to check a bus timetable ......we just walk to the end of the road and a bus arrives within 3 minutes.

Going to dig my heels in, I'm staying put!

• Upvote 7
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie # 24 Frequent bus services has been uppermost in my thoughts in the past couple of years. We bought some land in rural Buckinghamshire, well actually we've only paid the deposit so far. 2 ye

So Mick, you had A Ticket to Ride.

Sorry, I did veer off the subject of Bus Passes there. The fact is, since having a bus pass I use public transport a lot more, it's convenient for me where I now live, with the added bonus that it's

Lizzie. #26. Our village is quite well served by shops and other services as we have a Spar, a very good butcher, 2 hairdressers, a Post Office, 2 pubs, doctors' surgery, pharmacy, 3 churches, library, Community Centre, Sports & Social Club, and a good Primary School. Most weeks, I never leave the village as Tesco delivers here as well! But for the sake of the older people (not me!) who rely on the bus to have a day out in Ely, I wish the fare payers could use the bus a bit more so it will be deemed viable

Catfan, not sure about that as the council is wanting to spend less money and our bus isn't a priority for them - they are going to review the bus situation in a year, I think.

Sorry, I did veer off the subject of Bus Passes there. The fact is, since having a bus pass I use public transport a lot more, it's convenient for me where I now live, with the added bonus that it's free. I lived in villages for 30 years before coming back to Nottingham and never ever caught a bus during that time, I drove 50 miles a day just getting the kids to school. I enjoy driving but no doubt the time will come when I will be unsafe on the roads!

You're fortunate having a good variety of shops in your village Margie, they're obviously well used and that's good. This village we are/were thinking of moving to has no shop, 1 pub, a couple of churches and is 3 miles from the nearest market town. Not that far I suppose but a long way on a mobility scooter when I get my driving licence taken off me!

• Upvote 3

We have no shops and two buses a day,one pub,one church and a village hall which doubles as a post office on Friday mornings,still applying for me bus pass though,never had owt for nowt before,not the right attitude to have but I think I'm turning into a grumpy old sod so why not

Rog

• Upvote 3

No Chippy,there is a mobile one that visits the next village (Bassingham) on a Tuesday evening or the "proper" chippy which is 6 miles away in Navenby, the pub in the other close village Norton Disney (2.5miles)sells fish and chips to take away on a Friday evening only,About the only thing worthy of owt in our village is ME thumbsup

Rog

• Upvote 2

In our village we have a reasonable bus service - 17 a day to and from Shrewsbury. BUT - five of those are "Twerly" (!) - before the half past nine deadline. It certainly isn't a regular interval service - one or two long gaps, two or three occasions when two buses run within half an hour or so of each other, and in the afternoon two buses coming back are scheduled at the same time (leaving Shrewsbury by different routes, and going to different final destinations). But the last bus home is at five past six, and there are no buses at all on Sundays. Some are operated "commercially" but others are specified and supported with council funding, so they are always at risk from local authority spending cuts. While some services are well used, others run nearly empty.

Forgot to say, our village also has a Chinese/Chippie and an Art Gallery (posh or what - the Art Gallery, not the Chippie!) and 2 little cafe/ tearooms... Sorry, I know this is supposed to be about bus passes..

• Upvote 1

Me & Mrs Catfan had a wander to Ruddington today, no particular reason just somewhere to go & have a stroll & look see.

Went in the Frame Knitters Museum & spent a couple of very pleasent hours, well worth a visit too.

• Upvote 1

I can understand that, Ian. A few years back, when I was mid-50s, I had an extended health problem. Because of it I got offered the winter flu jab as a vulnerable person. Turned up with the crowd of owd 'uns and felt a right fraud.

I have a flu jab every year, but I still get the flu........

It's the hot weather !!!!!

Plantfit, just been looking at your post about where your village is.... Does it begin with a 'c' and have a name link with Nottingham?