Hi All

I have always been interested in the history of Sneinton, just wondered if anyone knew much about the meaning behind the road names in Sneinton in regards to local history.

Kind Regards BKT

There's a lot to go on ! Do you have any specific ones in mind ?

Some of the road names can be explained by the era when they were built.

Mafeking Street, Kimberley Street, Ladysmith Street, Port Arthur Road, Baden Powell Road, all fall into an obvious group from the Boer War.

Finsbury Avenue, Holborn Avenue, Sandringham Road, when someone worked their way through London suburbs.

Windmill Lane is self-explanatory - there use to be lots of them up there.

Manor Street - location of Sneinton Manor house.

Sneinton Hermitage - hermits in caves.

Coming up to date on the old railway lands - Ivatt Drive and Gresley Drive, named after steam locos.

The awkward one is possibly Sneinton's most famous road, where William Booth was born - Notintone Place. It looks like a typing error.

• Upvote 2

You're right ! But the famous people who live in London also have a place in Sandringham.

Staying with the London connection, there's a Loughborough Avenue in Sneinton. There's a Loughborough Road, Loughborough Junction, Loughborough Primary School, in south London.

Older road names (pre 1900 or so) can have a historical reason for their name, but in more recent developments the names can be almost random; the planners think of a theme (trees; footballers; London; lakes; local celebrities; animals) and work their way through the roads.

I reckon a lot of the time it's decided by "stick-a-pin-on-a-page". Looking at Skipton Circus which I guess was built in the 20s/30s, nearby you've got Ipswich Circus and Shelford Rise, Findern Green, so somebody just opened an atlas of Great Britain. Kilby Avenue and Weedon Close could be anything; the name of the builder's dog.

Westwood is probably one you'd have to ask the man who named it, although Kentwood next door is presumably connected. In that area there's Bleasby, Thurgarton, Castle, Trent, Ashfield, so the local map had obviously come out again.

Not to mention Sandringham, which isn't in London.

• Upvote 1

re: #2

History[edit]
220px-Nottingham_Map_1831_by_Staveley_an
Nottingham and Sneinton, as they stood in 1831

The history of Sneinton is inextricably tied to that of its near neighbour, the City of Nottingham. When the area that is now Nottingham was settled by the Anglo-Saxon chieftain "Snot", he named the settlement "Snottingham" (the homestead of Snot's people, where inga = the people of; ham = homestead),[2] and the area east of the city, also settled by Saxons, was called "Snottington" (the suffix ton = farmstead settlement).[3] Sneinton is mentioned in theDomesday Book, where is referred to as "Notintone", which represents the Norman pronunciation of an Anglo-Saxon placename, with the "Sn" dropped in favour of "N", which was easier to say in the Norman language.[4] The Norman pronunciation of "Nottingham" stuck, whereas their pronunciation of "Notintone" did not.[3] In the years between 1086 and 1599, "Sneinton" became the agreed way of spelling the village name.[4]

• Upvote 4

I've learned something new today ! For some reason it never occurred to me to look up Notintone.

And the map on that link is a much higher-res version than the one I previously had, so it might be making future appearances.

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread tonight when I was trying to work out why Port Arthur Road got its name. I had guessed that it was a link with Port Arthur in Tasmania. I never thought of a Boer war origin! This suggests that the houses were built around that time. My dad's family moved from Moreland Street to Port Arthur Road sometime between 1911 and 1917. My dad's great grandfather had an elder brother who was deported to Tasmania in 1840 and he ended up at Port Arthur in Tasmania, a very unpleasant prison. This was the only Port Arthur I had heard of until tonight!

#2 Thanks Cliff Ton, I have learned a bit more history tonight.

Moreland Street was off Meadow Land so I guess it got its name from "more land".

#1 burtkt I hope your research is going well.

Very interesting the map on post 10.

I didn't know about the toll bar across Mansfield Road.... bottom of the hill at the corner of the Forest. And I didn't know that Canning Circus was called Sion Hill.

I had come across the hill on Woodborough Road being called Goose Wong Lane,petering out in those days into just a footpath to Mapperley top....and the Jewish cemetery is marked on Sherwood Street and is still there today. The map is worth it's weight if only for exactly positioning the windmills in those days.

It also shows how remote and isolated the top of Mansfield Road was in those days; apparently it was a favourite haunt of highwaymen and robbers.

"Cavalry Ground" is the Forest; all the shading on the left is now the cemetery; Sherwood Street is still called that + North; there is no Forest Road or Mapperley Road yet

forest_1.jpg

Edale Road - Derbyshire village.

Skipton [circus] - Yorkshire town

Ipswich [circus] - Suffolk town

Anyone know Steve Brown and his sister (Rosemary?)? Used to live at 19 Rossington Road in the 60s.

• 8 years later...

Premises, prior to Akin's on Colwick Road, was an interesting shop up to guessing roughly 1962

Brew...Rental properties, Notintone place mid fifties, 

Never seen I picture from this period.

Has Manor St/House, Sneinton been covered ?

4 hours ago, HSR said:

Brew...Rental properties, Notintone place mid fifties, 

Never seen I picture from this period.

I've not seen a picture of Notintone   Place as it was , only after it was converted to the Salvation Army care home and General Booth's preserved house.

I think they allow visitors, maybe I'll go one day.

I was born in the attic of the house directly opposite before we moved down, no idea why, and lived like troglodytes in the basement. 

A Couple of my Aunt's, born 1921 and 1926 rented property when first married in Notintone Place, pre WW2.

Are the street level property, on the right new builds?

Brew..we my not share the same dentist, but likely shared the same rubber Gas Mask..

Like me, your a DR Killinski supporter, in the surgery the smell of TCP was greater than the fag smoke...

But he made House calls...

He was a large chap by my recollection, but always wore a waistcoat with his suit.

Not been there for a long time and probably wouldn't recognise it now; but yes I well remember the disgusting smell and taste of those rubber masks.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, those masks, I must of undergone them a few times, but as a stubborn 7 year old I thought I could beat it. There was a toy shop over the road, Got to pick my car beforehand..still have it today.

This reminds me, hope it's still there, haven't been on street view for over 10 years..

Why does the Church on the corner of Sneinton Rd have a reference to, ?? might have been Dunkirk, Basford but definitely not Sneinton.

This alway's has puzzled me. Big stone in the side wall