Working with horses

Echo,

I have spoken to the Whitaker's and yes they would be happy to meet your boy and also there could be a vacancy coming up. He will find they are a very nice family and certainly not bullies. I will PM you with names/telephone number. BTW their farm/stables is situation close to Bingham, not too far from Calverton.

• Upvote 8
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you everyone that has welcomed me. Sorry for not replying sooner. My eldest son was dragged by 2 horses he was trying to lead from a field back to the Stables where he works & didn't want

Hi Echo, I can't promise you anything but I do know the Whitaker's, the show jumping family and will have a word with them on your behalf, if you wish. They only stable thoroughbreds both their own a

Dear Everyone, It is with great happiness & joy that we report some fantastic news to you. After his work Trial, at last we can say that our Son has greatly impressed the Whitaker's in both tha

Dear Robbie,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I have tears of hope & joy at last & our whole family cannot Thank You enough. I will await your message with happy expectation & go there whenever we are asked to.

He used to live at Bingham when he did his 5 yr volunteering & prior to being Full-Time at the stables he is currently at, what a coincidence.

What can I say? I am speechless for once Ha! Ha!

Echo

x

• Upvote 2

Dear Smiffy49,

Yes, sadly it does happen more than you think. And Thank you for the tip to my Son & others looking to work with horses & about volunteering. He volunteered for 5 years & he was very happy & over the moon when his employer offered him the full-time salaried position. Unfortunately, the first day he was working as a paid employee, his employer changed & started buying him.

But please, if everyone that is interested in horses & who is physically fit, could volunteer for even just an hour a week/month or more. There could be so many more people that are ill, have any sort of disability or life limiting conditions could be helped to enjoy a few moments in their lives that helps to take their minds off the pain for just a moment - then so much happiness could be brought to people who would otherwise not have the chance to experience horse riding because of a lack of volunteers.

Or if you could volunteer in any other capacity where your interests are. What else would you be doing in that hour or 1/2 day etc? Getting away from the T.V for a couple of hours would do you good, make someone else feel good & keep you fit as well. Isn't that worth it? And if you are not sure about horses or in another capacity, go there & ask them to show you the ropes, you never know, you may like it & you could meet some lovely like minded people? Also, you would certainly get fit. I would certainly volunteer if I was fit, but cannot do so because of my health.

I am sure this is not the norm about employers, my Son has just been unlucky & I know that there are some fabulous employers out there who do look after their employees. My Son will try & keep his spirits up. He cannot fail to be hopeful when there are so many good people that have contacted me on this site rooting for him.

Dear Catfan,

Thank you for your message, & so sorry to hear of your son being made redundant, that must have been a tremendous blow to him & yourself, 18+ years is a lot of time. It's hard seeing your family struggle especially when it us your own child. Really pleased for you that he is now going to be starting work on Monday. The very best of good wishes to both of you & your family & we wish him every happiness. You must let us know how he gets on.

Echo

x

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't worry about typing too much, we love reading your posts, and wish your son a speedy recovery. I hope he gets a great job soon, it sounds like he is due for some good luck.

• Upvote 1

I've been really enjoying this thread and can't wait to find out the outcome to Echo and her son's problem. A lot of credit must go to Robbie for the time and effort he's put in with his dealings with the Whitaker's. I applaud you, Robbie and hope things go well for Echo's son. :)

• Upvote 6

Michael,

I too have enjoyed Echo's thread and hope for a successful outcome. She PM'd me earlier and has made contact with the Whitaker's, so progress being made. Thank you for your kind comment, I'm glad that I was in a position to help.

• Upvote 6

We cannot Thank Robbie enough for all that he's done for us & for the first time in a long time, we are excited & very hopeful for a successful & happy outcome. I have to ring the Whitaker's tomorrow, hopefully with a view to arranging for them to meet our Son. So Hopefully I might be able to write a good update tomorrow. Wish us luck.

Our Son is very amiable, he likes everyone (except she that shall not be named - his employer) & has a good sense of humour when the aforementioned person is not stamping him into the ground. He is a survivor, having gone through what he has/is going through. But if there is one wish that we could have come true, is that we want him to really enjoy life again & not be afraid that when someone comes up to him to pat him on the back, that it is to say "well done". Not for him to cower down like a beaten dog & be afraid that he is going to be hit. I don't know if he has been hit, because he won't say or admit it, but knowing how his employer is, in my heart I believe she has done it on more than a few occasions. I wish I could prove it, but I can't. So as long as he gets out of there, it is the best outcome ever.

We will have something to celebrate when he's out of there, we just want to go in & scoop him up - but he says he does not want to be on the dole & he is a very proud person. So we have to respect his wishes. I could say more about his employer, but I do not want her to get the idea that he is leaving until he hands in his resignation. Because we worry what she will do to him, I cannot risk putting any of our real names on here, because of this we hope you understand.

I am looking forward to tomorrow now, I am excited & cannot wait, neither can our Son.

Thank you Robbie so much, & whether it works out with the Whitaker's or not, we want to Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. And if you ever go to the reunions of Nottstalgia, I would like to be the first to shake your hand in person. Also to Thank everyone else for the support that they have given us on this site. We are overwhelmed by all the love & kindness that people have conveyed to us in our quest.

Sleep well all of you

Echo (Cakey Lady/Rottweiler)

x

• Upvote 4

Dear Catfan,

We would love to come to a Nottstalgia meet up when everything is sorted & we have had a good rest. Do you have dates & whereabouts? I will probably find them somewhere on the site, but to be honest, I have been so busy & tired that I haven't had a chance to delve into the site further than this.

We would like to Thank anyone that would care to meet up with us in person that has supported us through this, it isn't enough just to type Thank you, but it is all I can do for this moment in time. All of the support that we get from everyone is truly & most gratefully received.

Echo

x

• Upvote 3

Thank you Echo.

The next Nottstalgia "meet-up" is on weds 15 july at 11am at the Arboretum in Nottm where we are having a picnic in the park.

This is a friendly gathering of some lovely Nottstalgia members.

Don't worry if you can't make this one, meet ups on here can take many months to organise & by reading this forum you will see when plans start to take shape ".

Good Luck for tomorrow !

• Upvote 1

Dear Catfan,

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately we are in the thick of it still & will not be able to make that one. We have appointments on Wednesday with Dr's/Dentist for ourselves etc we cannot change them & we have been putting off for ourselves as we needed to be free to care for our Son when he was injured & needed us more. We don't know until in about 1/2 Hr when we are taking our Son to meet The Whitaker's & that is a priority.

When I was between about 2yrs old to just before my 9th Birthday, I lived on Burns St, across from the Arboretum, apart from a couple of years, when my 2nd youngest Sister who is 2 1/2 yrs older than myself spent a couple of years together in two different children's homes when I was 6yrs old & whilst our Mother recovered her health. My Father was attacked & killed & my Mother had a nervous breakdown. We came out of the homes & we moved to Lenton Abbey, it is then that I went to Beeston Fields Junior.

We used to go to the listen to the Sunday Concerts in the afternoon at the Bandstand in the Arboretum & we loved it. Mind you, I could open my bedroom window & hear it. I loved roly polying down the bank there & getting ice-cream afterwards with my family. Every opportunity I was there feeding the ducks & talking to a Cockatoo that lived there for about 100 yrs. When the Peacocks displayed to the Peahens it was magical for such a little girl. I went nearly every day. For a time, my Mother worked as a waitress at the Arboretum Restaurant, it holds happy memories for me. Years late, it was coincidence that I moved into a flat there 5 doors away from my house as a child. I can still remember where I walked up & down & where I placed my feet on the pavement on Burns St whilst holding the hand of my Dad or Mum.

So I would have gone if I could & will look out for the next one. How often are the meets held & are they at the same venue? It would be extremely cathartic & very powerful for me to walk those steps again. My childhood house & the flat where I lived in my mid 20s are still there but I have only passed by in the car & not stopped since. And strangely enough, I didn't think of the previous memories when I went to live in my flat there, I must have blocked it out because it was too painful thinking of my Dad. But you know what, I am ready now - strange where life leads us down a path we do not expect or think about going years later.

I have to go now, to prepare myself (nervous) for ringing the Whitaker's at 9am. Will let you know how it goes.

Echo

x

• Upvote 3

Interesting thought. If this woman is a bully, then maybe she gives her horses a hard time. Any chance of catching her out? She doesn't deserve to be able to employ people.

• Upvote 2

Dear Bilbraborn,

As soon as my Son is out of there I will make it my life's ambition to expose her. We need a documentary filmmaker that is an expert in this sort of thing - anyone know of anyone'?

There is lot more than what I have put in my thread about what goes on, but cannot say anything further at this present moment in time.

Echo

x

• Upvote 1

Good morning everyone,

Sorry for the delay in writing this, & it is fantastic news that my Son, myself & his Stepfather will be going to meet the Whitaker's next week, hopefully with a view to employment. I cannot say anything more at this present moment in time. Except to say it is a thrilling deveopement & another step forward for my Son. He couldn't sleep last night for the excitement of me talking to them this morning & awaiting news of when he was going to meet them because he has followed the family's successful careers since he was a tiny boy & it is all he can think about until next week.

So Thank you once again to all of you especially Robbie who has done so much for us. Robbie & I are in touch via personal messages because of the privacy issue, which I am sure that you will understand & respect that we cannot tell you all of the details. I was absolutely terrified of speaking to them because they are so famous, but I needn't have worried. Robbie helped me see that underneath their fame, that they are just an ordinary, delightful & friendly family & we cannot wait to meet them in person. Please wish us luck for next week, it is going to go very slowly waiting for something so important that could change our Son's life, I hope I don't muck it up for him.

It was a very difficult call for me to make initially. The phone signal was bad where they are & we kept missing each other's words & our voices were fragmenting. I thought to myself that I sounded like a frog in a blender being whizzed around on pulse speed Ha! Ha! It can't have put them off because arrangements have now been made, but I am normally more eloquent than I was. At least they will be able to understand what I am saying when face to face. But I will still be nervous at first, but I am sure that they come across this a lot in life & are used to putting people at ease. We cannot wait.

Hopefully, a better chapter in his life will begin.

Echo

x

• Upvote 5

I'd also like to wish you and your son the best of luck for next week, Echo. The Whitaker's have heard of your situation and have agreed to meet you so it looks very promising. It's natural for you and your son to be a little apprehensive about next week but I'm sure that once you meet them you'll be ok. I'm assuming they would have heard about your son's work history from Robbie so all you have to do at the interview is be happy, cheerfull, and show them that your son is the sort of chap that they'd enjoy working with. :)

• Upvote 1

Thank you, I can hardly type now with tears of joy.

Sorry to cut this message short, but I need to go to the Walk-In Centre because it seems as though I have a very painful water infection. It's probably due to the stress of it all, that's what usually happens to me. I need to nip it in the bud, as I normally wait because I do not like to trouble the Dr's. So I try & see if I can get rid of it myself. But last year it turned into a Kidney infection & I cannot afford to be ill now, it is not an option. - too much to sort out.

So this might be my last statement for a while until I feel better. But I will let you all know of any further developments with my Son as soon as possible.

Thank you all again for your support.

Echo

x