Working with horses

Thank you everyone that has welcomed me. Sorry for not replying sooner.

My eldest son was dragged by 2 horses he was trying to lead from a field back to the Stables where he works & didn't want the horses to be hurt/killed when they were spooked by a car going too fast. He has learning difficulties & his passion is horses. He held on as he didn't want them to get killed on the road & he was knocked out. He does not remember anything until he was in the hospital Serious Trauma Unit. Injuries: Broken Jaw, deep cut to his Face, One tooth knocked Out, one cracked Tooth & all the Skin was scraped off his Chest & left arm, severe bruising all over his body. He has to be on very soft food (baby food for 6 weeks minimum), off work for the same amount of time. But Thank Goodness he wasn't Paralysed & will recover. (He went to Beeston Fields Infants).

I probably shouldn't use this forum for this, but I could have lost my son & I ask all people who drive near horses/fields or Stables, even if it is occasionally a cut through on a country lane like this was, to be Horse Aware? Someone driving even a little too quickly to get somewhere a couple of minutes earlier could have cost him his life & my world would have fallen apart. Please promote Horse Safety at all time.

He is paid minimum wage as it is & now only gets £88.45 SSP & this is not enough to pay the bills in his flat where he lives independently. He has worked Full Time all his life & this is the first serious accident he has had - hopefully the last. He can't wait to get back to work & is frustrated that he has been signed off. His employer has not even sent him a get well card & doesn't care - just swears & bellows at him & frightening him until he us quaking in his boots - but he won't let anyone do anything because he is afraid of losing his job.He has had enough of the way he has been treated badly & wishes to find better employment & work with friendly people. For this they will get the best worker the employer could wish for. Despite his learning difficulties he is a Strong Rider/worker who can ride any type of horse, big or small that he has come across.

Does anyone know of a Full-Time Groom/Stable Yard Vacancy in a caring Stables? He is honest reliable, Non-Smoker, Dedicated, Can work alone or as Part of a Team. He is used to dealing with School Horses, Part & Full Time Liveries, Racehorses, Stallions & Riding For The Disabled with Children & Adults, Dressage, Jumping etc. He helps out the Instructors in lessons & Hacking Out & is learning Dressage Himself. He can Muck Out, Tack Up (Care For Tack Too). He can also Platt Tails etc. Can drive a tractor & forklift (needs to renew his licence for his forklift) & is great at repairing fences & field/paddock management, He needs a job where he is encouraged & not shouted at & treated with respect like he treats others. He has devoted 20 years of his life to Horses & wished to continue.

He has his own motorbike transport. If anyone knows of a live out vacancy around the Calverton/Notts area & can help, please let me know? He needs a chance.

Thank you & Sorry for this long message.

Echo (Female)

x

• Upvote 10
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you everyone that has welcomed me. Sorry for not replying sooner. My eldest son was dragged by 2 horses he was trying to lead from a field back to the Stables where he works & didn't want

Hi Echo, I can't promise you anything but I do know the Whitaker's, the show jumping family and will have a word with them on your behalf, if you wish. They only stable thoroughbreds both their own a

Dear Everyone, It is with great happiness & joy that we report some fantastic news to you. After his work Trial, at last we can say that our Son has greatly impressed the Whitaker's in both tha

The very best of luck in your quest, Echo.

Here's hoping your son makes a full recovery in a short time and gets the job of his dreams.....nothing like working with horses!

PS...Don't apologise for the length of your posts...just post some more so we can share in your memories... hellothere

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your well wishes, & very kind comments. We need a lot of luck for him. Everyone's kindness brought tears to my eyes & I will definitely keep you posted as soon as I am able.

Echo

x

• Upvote 1

So sorry to hear about your son's trauma, but am pleased he is on the mend now. I really hope he will find full time work with horses as he sounds a very capable person . I don't live in that area so can't help in the search for any work, but I wish him (and you) all the best for the future...

• Upvote 1

Sorry to read of your sons accident and hope he recovers fully and as quickly as possible Echo. I sincerely hope that he finds the work he is hoping for, and strongly deserves. If there is anyone out there who needs to employ someone with his skills, it seems like they would be pushed to find a better, loyal and willing person as your son. I send my best wishes for him.

• Upvote 1

Echo, like everybody else, I wish your son a complete recovery and success in his search for a chance in life. Echo, when I read your post the thing that stood out a mile was what a wonderful mother you are. I hope that you'll keep us informed regarding your son.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, it means so much to know that there are really kind & caring people out there to take the time & trouble to say such lovely things & be thinking of him. Fingers crossed he gets a job soon, then he can get away from the tyrant of an employer he has that puts him through hell. If as many people that can do would be so kind as to pass on his information, then that would be great.

Echo

x

• Upvote 5

PS: I am just a very ordinary Mum, doing what a Mother should do, but your comments are really appreciated. I will keep you informed of his progress. Thank you once again & I cannot believe that people we have never met are being so kind to us - that is true generous spirit indeed. Love to you all, your friends & family are so lucky to have you.

Echo

x

• Upvote 6

Echo: your post touched me very deeply,my middle son works at our local racecourse-as a job to save for college. I worry sometimes too! Be bold and ring a stud or top yard,go and meet local racecourse boss and ask if he/she knows of any vacancies. I am sure there is a stable hand organization.. Come to Ireland there's at least 20 around here..good luck.

Hi Echo, so sorry to hear about your son, having owned horses myself, and my youngest daughter was a yard manager for a local equestrian centre in Newark, I understand completely his passion and hope that he recovers soon and is back where he wants to be. I don't know of any jobs in your area but when my daughter was looking for jobs we used to look on the following web site www.yardandgroom.co.uk/jobs/united-kingdom/nottinghamshire

Try googling "horse groom jobs notts" for other sites. Unfortunately work with horses is never particularly well paid but you can certainly find a more caring employer. Good luck with your search and let us know how he gets on.

• Upvote 3

So sorry to hear about this Echo. My love for horses means that I always slow down and give them space. Unfortunately there are many who don't. If and when your son gets somewhere better to work, this employer needs exposing. I am pretty sure that bullying in the workplace is illegal.

• Upvote 4

So very sorry to hear this Echo hope your son makes a speedy recovery, its very sad that a lot of people don't slow down and give a wide birth to horses etc. horses are such lovely animals. best of luck for you both in the future.

• Upvote 1

PS: I am just a very ordinary Mum, doing what a Mother should do,

Echo

x

Welcome to a site with ordinary people as members :)

• Upvote 1

In Newark there is a Farm related Shop called 'Mole'.

They have a noticeboard, try putting a notice up with his details.

Hi Echo,

I can't promise you anything but I do know the Whitaker's, the show jumping family and will have a word with them on your behalf, if you wish. They only stable thoroughbreds both their own and other peoples. Their grooms and staff are highly trained and suitably qualified. They don't run a riding school so this may not be the type of work your boy is use to or wants but then again it could be a great opportunity to be involved with some of the best horses in the country. Please pm me if you are interested and I will give you contact details

• Upvote 9

Hello everyone,

So sorry for not replying to all your wonderful responses until now. My Son is recovering well, but the quietness of our little old fashioned quaint village with no shop & 1 pub was getting too much for him & he decided that he was well enough to go home this week to Calverton. Although loving the village, he said he is used to being so active with working full-time & there is nothing for him to do here except go for a walk about 3 - 5 times a day trying to get his strength back & rehabilitating himself, or watching T.V (which he doesn't do). He would rather go riding horses or his motorbike (both of which he cannot do at the moment), or fishing, which he can do. So between shopping for him & travelling up & down the motorway about 100 mile round trip every day, Dr's, Hospital appointments & sorting out paying his bills, his bank, getting him financial help because he's on SSP, Dentist & trying to get round Stables to hand over CV's etc we are absolutely exhausted & haven't had a moment to do much else. But glad that he stayed until he got to a point he could look after himself & he is very happy to do this. We are still going to do his laundry, shopping, housework & run him about etc. but we understand it is difficult for him to be living back home having been independent for about 20 years. He is happy in his own little flat, so that makes us happy too.

We will still be seeing him about 3 times a week & then as he goes back to work - once a week. He can reach us by phone/messaging/email/Text/ FaceTime too, so we can keep an eye on him. Emails are better at the moment with him still not being able to speak properly, but that is getting better by the day. The cut on his chin has healed & stitches taken out. The skin on his chest & under his arm is almost healed over but very very sensitive & sore, like the new skin over a burn. He still looks like he has gone 50 rounds with Mohammed Ali though 😰😰, because of all his bruises. It is easier to say where he isn't bruised in all colours of the rainbow. His broken tooth (which is very painful too) needs to be taken out, but the Maxio Facial said they would sort his tooth out when his jaw has healed fully. They will also check to see if he has damaged any other teeth that he's not aware of & sort those out as necessary. They think that the root is still in from the one he lost in the accident as well. He is petrified of the Dentist, so the Surgeon said he would give him a G.A.

We took him to pick his wages (SSP) last week & his employer didn't even bother asking him how his recovery was coming along. Then she wanted him to walk to the top of a field full of horses to tell someone that she was going to the pub & that he (other person that was doing my Son's job) had to come back & mind the office. He hardly had the strength to walk from the car into the yard, let alone up a hill into a field, why couldn't she get up & go herself - lazy? Needless to say "I was not amused". IS SHE ABSOLUTELY REAL OR WHAT? What part of what I said about the Surgeon telling my Son that he wasn't to go near horses until he was fully recovered did she not comprehend?

Forgive me if I am repeating myself, but 5 days after the accident, his employer said he could come back to work & do jobs like repairing fences & picking up poo etc. I told her politely, but in no uncertain terms (through gritted teeth) that he was lying in a bed trying to recover from a very serous accident that could have killed him. She got really angry & tried to bully me, but I stood my ground & said she was being absurd & unreal about his recovery time. She was absolutely livid with me. Asked if she treated her staff like that, she didn't reply & waltzed off cursing & swearing under her breath. I don't swear (unless stubbing my toe etc) but I was sorely tempted, but didn't want to lower myself to her level. I just hope this doesn't reflect on my Son, but she'll have me to deal with if that is the case. I am not known as the "Family Rottweiler" for nothing. I love sorting out problems, but my Son won't let me near this one.

He knows he won't get a reference, because if you leave this particular employer she doesn't want you to get a job elsewhere (probably because she has a slave - my Son, that is already there to do her bidding) & because of not having a reference, he said he will struggle to get a new job because she will say bad things about him. I said that if she says he's not good at his job, why has she not sacked him & employed him for all these years? I tried to reassure him that if prospective employers know that he has stuck at his job for all this time & that he's been there through all of her bullying, that he's worth employing. But all he sees is that she will make it impossible for him to get employment. I told him that that is what bullies do & it is about her controlling him & making him too afraid of her & the alternatives. She has a very bad reputation in the area & everyone knows of her & what she has done/doing & is capable of. When I have dropped off a CV & before looking at it, they have asked where he works currently & when I have told them, they say oh ".....'s" & they say yes, we know her she is a tyrant, but if we had vacancy, it wouldn't stop us employing him. This is heartening to hear.

But it is early days yet & we Thank all of you for all the support that everyone is giving us, it keeps us going & gives us hope. So please keep the suggestions coming & we are hoping & working hard towards getting him a better job, career & outcome from that which he has now.

I will try my hardest to answer as many individual messages as I can asap, but because we are trying to look after my Son, time & energy runs away & it is difficult, so sometimes I will have to put a communal reply. For those that don't know me, I myself have Spinal Mobility issues along with many other health problems & my Husband is my Full-Time Carer. Our energy levels are depleted, but our batteries will be fully charged soon & the "Ferrari" (my red Luggie scooter) will not be needed so much & kept for longer in the garage. But we cannot Thank you all enough & joining this lovely community is the best decision that I have made for a long while & I hope that you don't get bored with my extra long messages.

Robbie:

I sent an email message this morning to my Son about the Whitaker's, Thank you. He sometimes doesn't get a signal, so I have to be patient because it depends where he is on the site. If he's fishing, he won't get a signal until he pops back to his flat, maybe fir a drink or something. He will only be about 1/12 minutes from his flat signal, but it makes all the difference. A few messages have come through whilst typing this, so he might have replied & I will look after posting this. We didn't get back until 11.30pm last night & went straight to bed with exhaustion, so only read your message this morning as soon as I got up. We appreciate your efforts & suggestion. Because I am new to this mode of communication in this Forum, would you please be so kind as to tell me how to send a PM ? Thank you.

Very Kind Regards to all.

Echo (my Husband & Son now call me Cakey Lady & well as Rottweiler).

😍 x 🐎

Although still on soft

• Upvote 3

PS: I meant to say at the bottom -of my last message, that although still on soft food, we have got him to try new foods that we like, & that he can cook in his slow cooker that are tasty. We also bought him a smoothly blender yesterday so that he can enjoy lots of good fruit drinks that will do him good & help his jaw to heal faster - he thinks that it's fantastic. His favourite is banana. In this heat 36.3 yesterday, I don't think he'll be making the Chilli or Curry that we have just taught him how to cook though Ha! Ha!

We hope all of you have a fantastic day.

😰🍝😰

• Upvote 2

You can send a PM to any member by clicking on their name and then on the link to send them a message.

Be aware that sending any information by PM, this cannot be seen by and responded to by other members, as it would in these forum posts.

• Upvote 1

Just an update to let you know that my Son has always respected the Whitaker's & thinks to work for them would be his dream come true. He never thought that it would happen because of his current employer bullying him. So if there is the slightest chance to do this he will grab it with both hands & run until he dropped.

It would be our dream come true for him too.

Thank you for trying from the bottom of our hearts - even if it doesn't work out, you are trying to help him/us. He just needs a chance to show what he is capable of. We are so proud of him for holding down his job of working with horses, especially under his current difficult circumstances.

x

• Upvote 1

A sad tale and often repeated all over the country from time to time.

For anyone who loves horses a possible rewarding thing to do while looking for a job is to work as a volunteer for the RDA (Riding for the Disabled) in your local area.

Just google it to find the one nearest to your location.

Working as a volunteer truly help you to help other people of all ages and disabilities to gain confidence in life.

• Upvote 1

Two weeks ago after 18+ years my lad got made redundant, a couple of years ago he helped a young bloke get a job where he works, he stayed for a year or so & moved on.

A chance conversation last week resulted in my lad being contacted by another employer after the young bloke put my lads name forward for a position where he now works.

My lad starts his new job on Monday ! A better firm as well. No more 18 hour days & travelling the length of the country either Still in electrical & IT work.

So Echo, don't let your son despair, good things DO happen once in awhile !!

• Upvote 1