There's a few posts regarding England's Women footballers on the 'Advice On Girls' thread. Here's my post from there.

I've watched all the England games and will be watching the Women's Word Cup semi-final against the holders, Japan. It's on BBC1 tonight at 2310. If England win tonight, and they'll have to be at their best to do so, they'll play the USA in the final. I'm looking forward to watching England v USA in the final. :)

• Upvote 3

Come on you LADIES!!!

Kick off is at midnight.

There are 3 Notts County ladies representing England,

6 Laura Bassett who is a likely starter in defence having played in every game bar one.
14 alex greenwood also started in defence against Colombia and came on as a sub against Mexico
23 ellen white played for 61 minutes up front against France and then came on late against Canada

They call Football "The Beautiful Game", watching our Ladies World Cup players you can see why, i know i am a very tiny cog in the great planets wheel but so proud of them

• Upvote 2

When my youngest lad was 10 we went to Amsterdam for a football tournament and there were lots of girls teams there . The quality of football then was brilliant so it as moved on tremendously since then. I am talking about 1986.

A very sad end to their campaign but they deserve royal welcome coming back home. We've not had much to cheer about for the men's team over the past years and I wonder about the difference in money earned and spent on the two squads.

• Upvote 1

The ladies have put the men to shame. There was more commitment and passion over their last few games than there was over a full bleady season with the blokes...

• Upvote 1

What a sad ending to the game. An own goal from Laura Bassett, the Notts County player, ended Englands chance of playing in the Women's World Cup final. England hit the woodwork a couple of times and went close a few times but Lady Luck wasn't with them. We should all be proud of our ladies for all their efforts and they certainly had the country behind them. I think you'll see a lot of interest in women's football in the UK and this can only be a good thing.

Below is the Nottingham Post report.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Women-s-World-Cup-Notts-County-ladies-England/story-26819969-detail/story.html

• Upvote 1

I've just been watching England Women beat Germany 1-0 to claim third place in the World Cup after extra time. It was the first time that they'd beaten Germany and they did it with ...A PENALTY.

How sweet is that, beating Germany with a penalty. :congrats:

• Upvote 2

Well done, ladies. I noticed that when they scored a goal they did not take their shirts off and run down the pitch twirling the shirts around their head.

• Upvote 1

Well done the ladies football team. To be honest I would rather watch the women play football, there is no faking injury and rolling around the pitch as much as there is in the mens game, and no spitting and foul language.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes it was a great effort by England Ladies and I was proud of them. When we first started Ladies Football thought it was a real struggle just getting to use pitches - Peter

• 7 years later...

I have, when I was 14 on a European tour in 1964. I remember we stayed at a hotel in the Canton of Diekirch and the only station you could get on the lower end of the medium wave band was of course Radio Luxembourg on 308 meters as it overwhelmed any other stations.