Beautiful Nature Photos.

Catfan posted a YouTube video on here somewhere to help me.  He might have sent it as a PM though, thinking about it!  If he reads this thread he may oblige again.    

I was in the local supermarket today, here in France.  I was in the pet food aisle and heard tweeting. Looked up and a pair of sparrows were pecking away at a small bag of seeds that someone had hung up for them off a high shelf.  Really sweet, I got my phone out to take a photo but by the time I'd turned the damn thing on and messed about zooming in they'd flown up to the rafters!  

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a beautiful photo of a Kingfisher in a flower.

Dunnock     Rog

I may have posted this photo before but I thought it was worth a second look. It is an Atlantic Grey Seal pup on the foreshore near Duncansby Head, Caithness. I took a scramble down a very steep cliff

Strange co-incidence  . It was a bit of a "wider family" walk on the beach at Portreath today .

My son asked his mother-in-law if she had seen her friend Lesley over Christmas .

As he said it , weirdly , the said Lesley just happens to be striding past to the rocks at the far end of the beach . She's a volunteer for all sorts of wild life rescue and shouted that there was a seal in trouble . She'd got a phone call to attend .

It was tangled in fishing net , struggling in a quite strong surf at high tide .

Lesley and son's M.I.L. waded out and dragged the seal onto the sand just as the professional marine conservation guy arrived . He removed the netting and Lesley kept the seal covered with a towel.

I didn't know any of this as I was late arriving , just came upon the group of about 20 onlookers standing in a circle round two people crouched down on the sand (hadn't seen the seal) . Thought it was some sort of prayer meeting until my son explained :)

I did see the guy pouring some rehydration liquid down a tube into the seals innards.

Anyway seems the seal should be OK and was carted off in a special carry bag to be refloated somewhere along the coast where the sea was calmer .

31160069443_7d3c13ace2_b.jpg

Strong surf today 

31130108924_1abdd2d7c5_b.jpg

• Upvote 5

Pheasant just over my garden fence,in the long grass just out of view was five of his girlfriends,he was keeping a close eye on them because there was another cock bird calling not far away,I feel a fight coming on

P1050420_zpsywpzq5d0.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 2

Why do the males of the species always get possessive and want to fight?  He should let one of 'his' ladies go to the other male ....if she wants to go, that is!

(Yes I know, it's about passing on part of oneself to become the next generation....)

• Upvote 1

Whoever wins the fight wins the bird so to speak,it's about survival of the fittest if the weaker cockbirds was to breed with the hens they would produce weaklings and the possible extinction of the species in time,don't know what happened with humans though,theres some right idiots about,that great book "The Darwin Awards" comes to mind

Rog

• Upvote 2

I presume you're still talking about feathered birds?  In the future, with humans, it may well be only females who choose which male they want - some do already with sperm banks!  

It's a wonder the male of the species isn't feeling a bit threatened already...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today on the Nottingham-Beeston canal,nine cygnets,mum and dad,proper nest full

P1050650_zpsmyqanxqn.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 8

What a lovely picture Plantfit. The canals can sometimes look dark and dirty in places, but they have a good assortment of wildlife surviving well  on them. We have a few Swan families on ours; but never seen above five Cygnets at a time. A couple of years ago we stood and watched as a fisherman successfully untangled one cygnet that had got entwined in his line. Swans, Herons, Kingfishers, Wrens, Ducks Chaffinches, Sparrows, Starlings, Geese, Buzzards, Robins, Pied Wagtails Coots, Moor Hens and many more. You managed to get a really nice picture. Well Done.

• 1 month later...

Fledgeling Puffin telling us how big the fish was that he caught for his tea:

34859122393_193a860322_h.jpg

Making a final approach to landing:

34858860723_9b3038af79_h.jpg

Fulmar flying along a cliff edge.  Not a flap of the wings - all done using air currents; amazing:

35538474121_244d0a45c7_h.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • 3 months later...