Beautiful Nature Photos.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a beautiful photo of a Kingfisher in a flower.

Dunnock     Rog

I may have posted this photo before but I thought it was worth a second look. It is an Atlantic Grey Seal pup on the foreshore near Duncansby Head, Caithness. I took a scramble down a very steep cliff

Not knowing much about the ways of the wild, I thought it was just coincidence  that a Mrs Blackbird and a Sparrow, kept turning up at the same time to feed from my makeshift bird table, just outside my patio door. I decided to investigate further and was thrilled to learn it wasn't my imagination and that sometimes they do form a relationship, it's called 'cross species feeding' and that it can be the results of a few situations. So now I have learnt something and feel blessed that they visit my table  and only seem bothered about my close presence if I move to quickly. I have tried many times to get a photo, but one usually flies away. This one is a bit dark, but the best I have managed over about two weeks trying.  https://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/gbw/gardens-wildlife/garden-birds/behaviour/cross_species_feeding

FSCN0440.jpg

• Upvote 1

We have a regular male blackbird as well Jill. He has a white band on its right leg so it must be registered some where. Just looked it up and this is the information I found. I think I might have a job on trying to focus my binoculars before he takes off. Will give it a go .

You don't know how thrilled I am at this little, probably out of focus picture. If you look closely you will see the head of a 'Bluetit' and it is inside. Yep i said inside, not outside or near, our bird house. Hubbs went out about half an hour ago and I was sitting very still.....waiting, and it paid off. In a flurry of excitement there were, three scrapping robins, the Mr and Mrs thrush and their young adopted sparrow, all snaffling the currants and seeds on the table. But the even more thrilling bit is that after four years of disappointment we have two super quick 'Bluetits interested in our box. Here goes....you might have to study the blur. But I love it.:biggrin:

DSCN0468.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Great news for you Carni, nothing like seeing these little fellas using a house you put up for them, that'll keep you busy now looking out for them

Rog

Here's one I tried ages to get a picture of,out of all the bird nest boxes I have put up round about this little fella chose the one thats falling to bits,just goes to show they are not that particular or it could have just been facing in the right direction

woodhall_show_12_004.jpg

Rog

• Like 4

It is a Wren Carni, apparently they build several nests then take the hen to see which one she likes, if any,

The Gannet picture I took at Bempton cliffs just up the coast from Bridlington,the cliffs are full of nesting sea birds in the breeding season from Gannets through to Puffins including my favourite the Kittywake,I have quite a few photo's of them all if you are interested I'll post them

Rog

Don't worry about blurry pictures,you managed to get one in your nest box, I have a nest box near the kitchen window (where I get most of my garden bird pics) and there is a Great tit who keeps nipping in and out and I have never managed to get a picture of him yet,he's too quick for me so you did great to catch him,I did get a nice pic of a Greenfinch this week,I'll post it here after I upload it to post image

Greenfinch as promised, when I take a picture through the kitchen window I make sure I don't have the kitchen light on and I close the blind at the other window so that I don't have any backlight

P1060410.jpg

Rog

• Like 5

Plantfit, we have a wren every year nesting in a cherry tree trunk right next to our wheelie bins.  Unfortunately we think the local cats get to the nest because we’ve never ever seen any babies.  I saw a wren flitting about that area the other day so hoping she has more luck this year.  

Like I say Lizzie the cock bird builds a few nests and lets the hen bird pick which one she wants to lay her eggs in, hopefully she will pick your nest this year

Rog

Living in a very built up area we don't get many unusual birds come visiting, but we did have a Woodpecker, just the once, a stray duck , (lost on its way to the pool at the West Park). Last year we were visited by a group of Goldfinches, but we have mainly, Robins, Blackbirds, Thrushes, Sparrows, Blue tits, Magpies, Pidgeons, Jenny Wrens, Long tailed tits, Hedge Sparrows, once had a Budgie, but couldn't catch it? Forgot about the Bats. I'm sure that I have forgotten some?

My next door neighbours had an extension  added which took away all my view from the patio door by where I sit, so  last year we planted a Red Robin (Not the bird) and the horrid white wall I have to look at is slowly being hidden by our plants. Thus we are getting all these lovely wild birds come to feed  so close to the window. It has opened up a really enjoyable interest for us. :)

• Like 1

Carni,"you don't get many unusual birds"? they are all unusual,great little characters that never fail to bring some colour to our lives,keep feeding them and they will come to you,you'll get to know their little habits,at the moment we have a Blue tit that climbs inside the peanut cage to get a nut when it's nearly empty,I've tried to get a picture of him inside the cage but not managed it yet,

Here's a few more from Bempton cliffs

Guillimots

Guillimots.jpg

Kittwake

Kittywake.jpg

Puffin

Puffin.jpg

Razorbill

Razorbill.jpg

Enjoy the birds,they're great fun

Rog

• Like 4

They really are good fun. Something going on all the time. We are getting used to the things our regulars get up to. It is so interesting to see the little sparrow with either one or both of the Blackbirds. They come to visit us many times a day. I have read about cross feeding and I think we are lucky to be experiencing this in our garden. I wonder if they will abandon it now the new season is upon us. For some reason our regular two Robins have become three. Lots of scrapping going on. They must be fighting to win the gals attentions. Can't wait for tomorrow to see what they all get up to.:)

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Like I say Lizzie the cock bird builds a few nests and lets the hen bird pick which one she wants to lay her eggs in, hopefully she will pick your nest this year

Rog

We did hear babies in the nest last year but then it went very quiet, too soon for them to have fledged.  

Oh dear,hopefully they have better luck this year,although they do fledge in a couple of weeks though and hide in the shrubbery so you never know.

Here's a Long Tailed Tit, I think I posted it before  but it might have been in another thread

P1060258.jpg

Rog

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The picture of the hovering Gannet is interesting. Birds, like aircraft, rely on the air travelling over the curvature of the top surface of their wings to create a low pressure to give 'lift'. In the picture you can see the minor feathers being sucked up by the low pressure.

• Like 1

Thats right Dave,not forgetting the "swept back" wing shape of the Peregrin when in a dive,and the swan doing a circuit of a lake/pond before landing so that it knows which way to land into the wind, what we (humans) have been doing for just over a hundred years the birds have been doing for thousands if not millions

Rog

Another one for you Dave, you can see the "leading edge" of the wings in this and the feathers at the back of the wing facing down to slow the bird down ready for landing

Bempton_cliffs_2010_007.jpg

Rog

• Like 3

A few more Gannets,our largest sea bird, each bird is on a nest and they come back to the same nest site year after year,there is plenty of squabbling among the birds during the breeding season and the noise is something to remember,if you ever get the chance to visit Bempton Cliffs you won't regret it,the sights,sounds and smells are unforgettable

Bempton_cliffs_1.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Mute Swan, I took this picture while the swan was circling round looking for a headwind to land into for a more controlled landing which he did, very aerodynamic shape, I wonder where the idea came from when Concorde was first conceived?

Mute_swan.jpg

Rog

• Like 4