Beautiful Nature Photos.

I don't want to begin a new thread, so will put my ornithological question on here.

For years I have suffered terribly with a nagging question for which I cannot find the answer. I have sleepless nights over it, and the search through countless books and internet sites have all drawn a blank. It is this:

Do birds squint when they fly through rain; or do the raindrops hit their eyeballs like bullets? :)

Colin, re photo of swan. Note that the wing leading-edges are drooped to give the camber to the upper side of the wing, just like aircraft.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a beautiful photo of a Kingfisher in a flower.

Dunnock     Rog

I may have posted this photo before but I thought it was worth a second look. It is an Atlantic Grey Seal pup on the foreshore near Duncansby Head, Caithness. I took a scramble down a very steep cliff

I asked that question many years ago and was told by someone from the BTO (British trust for Ornithology) that the birds eyes are on the side of their heads (apart from Owls)  and because of their beaks and airflow over them it deflects rain drops/snow drops away, not sure if that was the fact or not but this guy was one of the Trusts top bird counters and lifelong member.

I think they also have a type of secondary eyelids that closes/opens front to back as opposed to the "standard" eyelids that closes/opens top to bottom, the former eyelids is I think transparent

Rog

I've posted this before but I think PB took care of that,anyway,Bee Orchid, int it just great how nature works,making these flowers look like Bee's to attract other Bee's so that the plant get pollinated and life carries on

Bee_Orchid.jpg

Rog

• Like 5

Today I managed to get a picture of Britains smallest bird The Goldcrest,not very good pictures,bit blurry but I will stick at it until I get a better one

P1060422.jpg

P1060423.jpg

Once again just outside the side kitchen window,he was climbing down the Silver Birch tree trunk looking for small insects etc in the bark

Rog

• Like 2

Carni,The Blue Tit is 11.5 cm (4 1/2 inches)

Goldcrest is 9 cm (3 1/2 inches) so quite a bit smaller not as easy to photograph as the Blue tit because they are very twitchy.

I like your Blue tit pictures,you did very well to catch them in the doorway to the nest box

Rog

Long Tailed Tit

P1060424.jpg

This is a pictured I've been trying to get for sometime, Blue Tit climbing inside the peanut cage to take a whole peanut instead of clinging on the outside of the cage and pecking little bits,clever

P1060427.jpg

Rog

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure about this one at the moment but I think it might be a Twite,on the bird feeder just outside of the side kitchen window this afternoon

P1060453.jpg

P1060455.jpg

Any help will be most welcome

Rog

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I may have posted this photo before but I thought it was worth a second look. It is an Atlantic Grey Seal pup on the foreshore near Duncansby Head, Caithness. I took a scramble down a very steep cliff to reach the breeding colony but it was worth the effort. Nothing was disturbed during the taking of this photograph.

30603026023_4e1da58515_c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Collard dove, quite rare in the 1950's but considered a pest now,especially around farm yards

P1060465.jpg

This one and his mate decided to clear up some spilt corn from my bird feeders

Rog

• Like 2

There's a couple of pairs of these doves that nest in our garden, Rog.

• Like 1

On the subject of Doves (Above): there was a big flock of the large 'Chestnut Breasted Doves' living in my garden in the hils above Addis Ababa, so one day, seeing as how meat was scarce in Ethiopia at the time,  I thought I'd have a go at making pigeon pie.  I made a rudimentary catapult (Would modern kids think of this?) and managed to bring down one of the doves.  Alas, when plucked and cooked there was not enough meat to feed a mouse, let alone the two of us!  Please note: doves are tiny - it is the feathers that make them look as big as pigeons.  I never took a shot at another living bird after that.

• Like 1

Took this picture a few years ago when on my way to work,the lane is between Navenby and Scopwick,Peacocks in the road, theres quite a few out here now and breeding successfully

peacocks_on_my_way_to_work_(1).jpg

Rog

• Like 3

When I lived at Cinderhill there were a couple of peacock regulars that went into everyones garden, if we were lucky they would open their tails  for you. 

Living where we do we don't see many wild birds. Being in a vineyard area I think the farmers have chased them all away. I regularly see woodpeckers though and pheasants, but then the hunting season starts and you don't see them for a while. I would abolish hunting if I could ,its a cruel sport and the hunters trample over all the fields and vineyards.

• Like 2

I too would abolish hunting because it appals me that people possess such a bloodthirsty mindset. I'd make an exception for humans who were cruel to animals, murderers and paedophiles. You can hunt them to your heart's content and save the taxpayer a fortune into the bargain!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1