Beautiful Nature Photos.

We get Buzzards flying overhead all the time ,  where we are. I reckon that because they soar, with open wings, they are the perfect posers for photography. So Rog, let us into the secret as to what equipment you use. I'm sure it would be of interest to our budding nature photographers. Great Shot !!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a beautiful photo of a Kingfisher in a flower.

Dunnock     Rog

I may have posted this photo before but I thought it was worth a second look. It is an Atlantic Grey Seal pup on the foreshore near Duncansby Head, Caithness. I took a scramble down a very steep cliff

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

We get Buzzards flying overhead all the time ,  where we are. I reckon that because they soar, with open wings, they are the perfect posers for photography. So Rog, let us into the secret as to what equipment you use. I'm sure it would be of interest to our budding nature photographers. Great Shot !!

Just my Fujifilm Finepix S bridging camera, nothing special, the Birch tree in most of the bird pictures is about three feet away from the kitchen window where I sit with my laptop and the camera is close by so perfect for getting closeup pics, as for the Buzzard pic, my camera was on about 50% zoom. Here's a pair with the camera set at normal no zoom

Buzzards-6.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bloomin heck you are always there at the right time to catch these birds on film, great photos plantfit.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MRS B said:

Bloomin heck you are always there at the right time to catch these birds on film, great photos plantfit.

Not really, the birds are there all the time it's just a matter of having my camera close by, what about this one just saw him/her walking down the hedgerow in the field at the back of my house a few years ago

wildlife-004.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 1
On 11/11/2022 at 10:34 AM, Beekay said:

A Muntjac deer no less ! (Britain's smallest).

We had lots of Muntjac in our garden in Hertfordshire, living in 5 acres of ancient woodland.  We loved seeing them wandering about but unfortunately they ate an entire newly planted rose bed.   We found that the only plants they wouldn’t touch were marigolds.  
We had a pair of wallabies living in the wood too, they were quite a talking point in the local. When we first spotted them I rang Whipsnade Zoo, which was fairly close by, but they insisted they hadn’t lost any.  

Did you know that muntjac originally escaped from Woburn Park in the 1920’s and are now officially classed as an invasive species ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MRS B said:

Did you know that muntjac originally escaped from Woburn Park in the 1920’s and are now officially classed as an invasive species ?

Yes I did know that, having lived in the Beds, Bucks and Herts corner of the country for 30 years.  Woburn and Whipsnade were regular days out when our kids were young.  
A much bigger ‘pest’ in the area are glis glis, or edible dormouse.  Brought into England by Walter Rothschild, a naturalist living in Tring, again just down the road from us.  We suffered electrical damage from those little blighters on several occasions.  

On 11/13/2022 at 4:42 AM, LizzieM said:

A much bigger ‘pest’ in the area are glis glis, or edible dormouse.

Just shows how you never stop learning. I'd never heard of them so I looked them up on the webulator.

It seems that there are some 10,000 of the little beggars concentrated around Tring in Hertfordshire, as LizzieM says. They only grow to a maximum weight of 4 - 5 oz so you would need quite a few for a feed after you had skinned and boned them. Apparently they still eat them in Slovenia and Croatia!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Bit of an international flavour in this one, Canada Geese 

I'm not a fan of Canada Geese; they seem to multiply every week, and they've ruined the footpaths and grass areas along the Embankment.

They peck the grass down to the soil, so in many areas there actually isn't any grass. And their droppings completely cover the footpaths along the riverside and it's impossible to walk along there without treading in the mess.

• Like 1

I'm sure they are not a native (to this country) species therefore should be classed as invasive but for some reason whenever an injured bird is taken for treatment it is released back into the wild when it's better, this doesn't or shouldn't happen with other invasive species, don't know why but I agree with you about them CT they are a menace and disease carriers, those other disease carriers, pigeons, are in the process of being bannished from our towns and cities and feeding them is discouraged and in some cases carries a fine so why not with these Canada geese

Rog

Probably classed as another invasive species, Egyptian geese, populations are on the rise, I think a lot of these birds/animals was bought into the country by the wealthy land owners so they can show them off to their wealthy friends, trouble was they never gave a thought as to what would happen to these species after the wealthy owners passed away

Woodhall_wildlife_(6).jpg

Rog

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm not a fan of Canada Geese; they seem to multiply every week, and they've ruined the footpaths and grass areas along the Embankment.

They peck the grass down to the soil, so in many areas there actually isn't any grass. And their droppings completely cover the footpaths along the riverside and it's impossible to walk along there without treading in the mess.

Pales into total insignificance beside that worst of pests, homo sapiens. Thankfully, the birth rate Is falling in many countries.