Beautiful Nature Photos.

These seem to be multiplying at a fair rate out here, there was a big problem with some of them attacking motor cars and causing damage to the paintwork in one village, it seems they can see their reflection in the motor cars paintwork so attack it thinking it's a possible rival, I took this photo on my way to work a few years ago, they were blocking the road and showed no signs of moving out of the way until they were ready

peacocks_on_my_way_to_work_(1).jpg

Rog

• Like 3
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a beautiful photo of a Kingfisher in a flower.

Dunnock     Rog

I may have posted this photo before but I thought it was worth a second look. It is an Atlantic Grey Seal pup on the foreshore near Duncansby Head, Caithness. I took a scramble down a very steep cliff

We had a dozen Guinea Fowl that wandered around, laying eggs in flower beds (so we never knew how long they’d been lying there so never risked cooking any and we occasionally had to buy a few more birds when Mr Fox came visiting. They were very good security guards and made a lot of noise when visitors turned up.    But your photo has reminded me @plantfitthat occasionally a Peacock popped over for a day long visit, he never stayed overnight.  A chimney sweep came one day and asked me if I realised I had a lot of peacocks in the garden, he thought the Guinea Fowl were peacocks!  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Pales into total insignificance beside that worst of pests, homo sapiens. Thankfully, the birth rate Is falling in many countries.

I agree that Homo Sapiens leave a lot to be desired, but that doesn't change my opinion of Canada Geese.

• Like 1

Canada Geese are everywhere, even here in Ga.  They hang out at some of the lakes around here.  Closest canadian border is Ontario and that's over 900 miles from here.  Alberta, my old home is over 2000 miles.  They sometimes fly over here in V formation.  Dogs just watch 'em and lick their lips.

We used to enjoy Guinea Fowl but haven’t seen them in Waitrose for some time. There was a flock in the village once but I’ve not seen them recently. They used to roost in the trees. Canada geese fly over regularly though and I spot loads of them in the fields.

Long eared Bat, on the wall in my old works office (an old farmhouse) was told I wasn't allowed to take photo's of Bats without a proper licence, oh well too late to apply for one, this little fella was about the same size as a matchbox

DSCF3844.jpg

Rog

• Like 3
6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

We used to enjoy Guinea Fowl but haven’t seen them in Waitrose for some time. There was a flock in the village once but I’ve not seen them recently. They used to roost in the trees. 

The fact that Guinea Fowl roost in trees is the reason we got them, with no need to lock them away from foxes every night.  When we fetched them home, in cages in the back of the car, we let them out and the first night they decided to sleep in a willow tree right next to our bedroom window and as dawn broke they made such a racket and obviously woke us up.  So we struggled to catch them using a huge fishing net, this took several hours, and put them all down the bottom of the garden, in the boys treehouse, on the edge of the wood.  When we released them a few days later they realised the surrounding oak trees were a perfectly acceptable place to roost and peace was restored at dawn. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a big fan of the Canada goose but just had to take a picture of this one, here she is tending the nest after laying seven eggs, This is near the side of the road at the Brayford pool Lincoln today Sunday 16th

DSCF2108.jpg

Rog

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Not exactly beautiful but.. this morning I walked down towards King's Moss and turned into the fields by a pond known locally as the 'Twelve Yarder'.  Nobody seems to fish there,and the water always seems dark and gloomy, but this morning there were several of these chaps in a sunny shallow part of the pond.  Whether they were gasping for air in the heat, or after flies, or maybe upset by the recent rains, I wouldn't know, and I don't know much at all about fish.  PP?

The biggest were at least 18" long.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hsPKhwZvmTSFxPiG8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mCpvdbkL48kCg2So8

Otherwise, just a normal idyllic day in the rich meadows beneath mighty Billinge Hill.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/brYGYE4zANsRsqDcA

I was also pursued for much of the way by Horse Flies.. or 'Clegs'.. words don't exist to express my hatred of these little  B&$^&£ds!!

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2023 at 3:07 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Is this a pigeon ?   I've never seen one in this colour scheme before.

Pv7fxTN.jpg

On the Embankment mixing with all the ducks and swans etc.

Maybe in witness protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Female Sparrowhawk trying to shelter from the rain yesterday on my garden fence in front of the living room window, I took the picture through the window that's why it's not all that sharp

Kestrel-4.jpg[/ur

Rog

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

Well done Kev!

I've been wanting to see nacreous clouds all my life and came to Nottingham a week too early!:(

• 2 weeks later...

Recent visitor to the bird feeders, Cole Tit, the feeders are about three feet from the kitchen window and I took the picture through the window thats why they are a tad blurred

DSCF2530.jpg

DSCF2532.jpg[/ur

Rog

• Like 2