Things you don't/rarely hear anymore

People who chomp when eating apples, and people who clatter and suck when eating Polo mints.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad chopping off-cuts of wood into sticks in the backyard, to start the fire with. Then when the fire wouldn't 'catch' and a page of the Post held up in front of it, the sudden whoosh as it all ignite

The suck and splosh of a ponch in a dolly tub.

One of my pet hates ........ people who make any noise whatsoever when they are eating !!

#24. My youngest grandchildren still say their times tables out loud but they don't know all of them yet - only the 2x 5x and 10x - cos they're only 4 and 5 years old. They see it as a game, trying to outdo each other

• Upvote 3

There was a newspaper seller at the bottom of Hanley Street that my dad swore blind used to shout, "pork pie and vinegar"! lol

• Upvote 2

(Exclamations)

'I'll wring his neck!'

'Wait till your dad get home!'

• Upvote 1

Knife grinder on his bike shouting,two tone horns,ladies swilling water and bleach on window sills-steps-slabs, the soothing voice of Alistair Cook in the morning,the end is high men..preaching as they walked.

Rooting about this morning in the Garage came across some nice black shoes i'd forgot i had,and low and behold they had 'segs' in em,just polished em up and will be wearing them tomorrow,.............so listen out for me...lol.

• Upvote 1

Do folks still call others 'gormless'? Haven't heard that in years, and anyway, if you aren't gormless, does that mean you are gorm?

• Upvote 1

When I lived in Annesley Rows there was a mobile fishmonger who used to call out "Any wet fish, fried fish, ki-ppers!" and a rag and bone man who used to shout "Ag bo!"

• Upvote 2

A milk float, I actually followed one up Mansfield Rd this morning. The first one I've seen in years.

• Upvote 1

Annesley Red: I worked (Wokt) down Annesley pit for a couple of years during the late 60s, hence the Rows house.

• Upvote 2

Dad chopping off-cuts of wood into sticks in the backyard, to start the fire with. Then when the fire wouldn't 'catch' and a page of the Post held up in front of it, the sudden whoosh as it all ignited, and sometimes the newspaper with it. Then the sound of swearing!

• Upvote 8

#50: I was at an auction last week and a chrome plated £sd money box was up for sale. It had slots for all the different denominations of coin but no key. Had I won it I may have had many hours of poking and prodding each time I wanted to "Spend a penny" :)

• Upvote 1