Things you don't/rarely hear anymore

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad chopping off-cuts of wood into sticks in the backyard, to start the fire with. Then when the fire wouldn't 'catch' and a page of the Post held up in front of it, the sudden whoosh as it all ignite

The suck and splosh of a ponch in a dolly tub.

One of my pet hates ........ people who make any noise whatsoever when they are eating !!

Fynger #53: I think the amount of cuckoos depends where you are. Here in the north of Scotland there are quite a lot of cuckoos.

They still ask for "scraps" with their fish and chips around here.

We were in Whitby a couple of weeks ago and had fish and chips and my partner asked for batter bits and the guy in the shop said do you mean " scraps" LOL

The first time they ask you if you want "scraps" is a bit of a shock.When Charles and Camilla paid a visit a while back they called in at a local fish and chip shop that had won an award;Camilla was served a portion to try and the young girl serving her asked if she "wanted "Scraps" with it?"

When I was a nipper we used to go the chippy for free batter bits, eventually the owner said we had to buy something so we would buy a penny fritter then get free bits with it. Very tasty they were too, frowned on by the nanny state as being pure cholestrol I should think....

• Upvote 2

#6: When cooking fish and chips I always dribble some batter into the hot fat to make "Batter bits". Mrs Compo thinks I'm disgusting but what the heck - yer only live once.

• 11 months later...

From halfway along the Vic Embankment, the tumultuous sound of the crowd when Forest score.

Don't think even the locals have heard that for a while

slywink

• Upvote 1

You rarely hear passengers on buses saying to the driver where they are going - not round here anyway as it is a flat fare - they just plonk down their £2 or show a pass. They are usually engrossed with their phones anyway! It fascinates me on my way to work in a morning - I pass the journey counting the number of 'silent' travellers. I look forward to the day someone realises they are on the wrong bus............

Here in the North of Scotland buses will still drop you at a requested place. For example: I was on the bus travelling from Inverness to Wick the other week and an elderly couple got on and asked for a particular spot and the driver stopped right at their front gate; even though it is not a designated bus stop.

• Upvote 2