Things you don't/rarely hear anymore

You can no longer wake up in the middle of a still summer's night and through your open bedroom window (on the high ground near Mapperley Road) catch the sounds of:

- a steam train emerging from the Mansfield Road tunnel, clanking through the Carrington Station cutting, before going quiet again as it plunges into the Sherwood Rise tunnel

- distant barges hooting on the River Trent

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad chopping off-cuts of wood into sticks in the backyard, to start the fire with. Then when the fire wouldn't 'catch' and a page of the Post held up in front of it, the sudden whoosh as it all ignite

The suck and splosh of a ponch in a dolly tub.

One of my pet hates ........ people who make any noise whatsoever when they are eating !!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Creepers/Basford Miners Welfare I attended a wedding there Saturday night I only drink in town, so it could be me, but they called "Last orders at the bar" at 11pm? I've not heard that for years? They even had an old fashioned flashing sign saying "Last Orders" that then moved over to "Time" Thought I'd gone back in time. :crazy:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

When coppers stopped you when speeding: "Who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?!"  Nowadays it seems to be an instant breathalyser test and then a speeding ticket.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, they always used to come out with real corny snippets. In the early 60's, I was once asked if I could read, by one cocky oik, as late one Saturday evening, I was parked on the frontage of the council house. I told him that I could read, and he then asked, was I honoured in parking there. Other cars were there, but he only confronted me, as I had long hair, and an MG. A £6 ticket came my way.

Several days later, I was parked outside the Flying Horse, and was asked by a similar oaf why I was still parked there, well after my hour was up. As I felt somewhat belligerent, I told him that as no other cars were in the vicinity, it didn't matter. Another £6. 

• Like 1

As a youngster (17) I got stopped for speeding on Radcliffe Road. My old banger of a car was a bit noisy and the policeman asked if there was something wrong with it.

No I replied with a smile, it's just old, a bit like yourself!

No sense of humour some people, fine and endorsement...

• Like 1