The above programme is on BBC 4 tonight (Saturday July 11th) at 10.45pm.

Artists appearing include Rolling Stones, Tom Jones, Status Quo, Procul Harum, Stevie Wonder, Queen, Julie Driscoll and the Kinks.

• Upvote 3

Folks are still debating whether A whiter shade of Pale was based on Bach's Air on a G string or. Ich Steh mit einem fuss Im Grabe. Rough translation from the German =. I have my foot in the grave. Either way it was instumental. (No pun intended). In turning me on to Bach. A love I have to this day. That music grabbed me. I doubted that most groups would compose something like that and started researching. I have the music for WS of P. I lean towards the one foot in the grave. Which I am working on learning to play.

Yes it does.

So does 'Air On A G string'.

Both pieces ('I Stand With One Foot In The Grave' and 'Air') were 'borrowed' by Matthew Fisher who was a music student and called on his knowledge of classical music to create something 'Bach-like'.

Still sounds great.

They did have other hits, as Ian has pointed out, but nothing of the magnitude of 'Whiter Shade Of Pale'.

While watching that BBC 4 programme you become aware of the sheer quality of the music - almost all of which I can remember after 40 odd years.

I had the same feeling when watching that Peter Kaye 'Car Share' thing when they are listening to Forever FM and singing along with all the records.

Yes, I know that it's easy to just pick on past hits and say how great they were.

Not all of the music then was fantastic. It's just that the vast majority was.

And I certainly recall that singing along with what was on the radio was a common occurrence.

Never happens now with modern stuff.

• Upvote 1

There was some embarrassing crap released in the 60's and 70's believe me. I'll list my worst personal examples when I've got six hours to spare !!!!!

Anything by Gerry & The Pacemakers, Freddie & The Dreamers, Billy J Kramer and Hermans Hermits for starters.

Other than early Beatles, Searchers, Hollies, Big Three, the Mojos and The Merseybeats, the rest of the Mersey and Manchester sounds were utter drivel.

• Upvote 2

Then there were Dave Clark Five, Brian Poole & The Tremeloes.

Goodies were Spencer Davis Group, Nashville Teens, Who, Stones, Kinks, Pretty Things.

Yanks were Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Doors, Santana, Allmans, Tim Hardin, Tim Rose, Vanilla Fudge and The Lovin Spoonful.

• Upvote 1

Manfred Mann, Small Faces , TYA, Family, The Nice, Jeff Beck, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin and Savoy Brown were good too.

• Upvote 1

Although I had many American singles from the late 50's, Chuck B, Bo Diddley, Everly Bros, Gene Vincent, Little Richard, Johnny Tillotson, Johnny Burnette, Ricky Nelson, Buddy Holly and the like, I couldn't abide Elvis, oily momma's boy.

Also, Billy Fury was creepy beyond belief. It's probably because I was duffed up by three Teddy boys when I was about 13 that I had an aversion to greasy quiffed hair. Daft really but !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Had loads by Pitney ,Orbison, Sandy Nelson, but only two by the Beach Boys.

• Upvote 1

I'm a big Elvis fan. The Rock & Roll/Rockerbilly Elvis, not the Las Vegas big band Elvis which I didn't like. I thought that Elvis Presley showed what a great chap he was in the '1968 Live Comeback Special' where he involved his audience and had fun. I've never heard a ballad by Elvis that I didn't like. No matter which singer you mention there will always be the rubbish recordings mixed in with the good.

Elvis was quite good up until 59, although I liked His Latest Flame and The Girl Of My Best Friend.

I liked Ral Donner. Great voice.

You're right Michael, even the best make some mediocre stuff. There's even a couple of Rory's I'm not keen on. LOL

I don't have a particular fav. in terms of music Genre' i like all sorts depending on mood,place and time,was never really into the heavier rock of the 70s,but on my recent holiday came across a band called 'Travelling band' who i could'nt get enough of,so went back to the bar they played in most nights,the wife could'nt believe i was 'rock n rolling' in me shorts till midnight (must have looked a bugger) did'nt even wear me Tie,...........nice to get home and put one on though,

Even bought one of their 'T' shirts,which ive given to my youngest Son,like i say time and place for everything, :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

No tie. !!!!'m. FFS you rebel you. LOL

• Upvote 1

Re #7.

There was indeed some embarrassing crap. but in general there was more superb stuff than not.

Hence we are still listening to it 40 years later.

Whenever I hear David Bowie pontificating about music, I think it's worth reminding him of some of his earlier efforts like 'The Laughing Gnome' and 'Rubber Band' (and maybe even Tin Machine !)

He wrote a little dittie in 1967 called 'Over The Wall We Go' by Oscar (Paul Nicholas - real name Oscar Beuselinck) which was about all the prison breaks that were happening at the time. (All coppers are nanas....).

Is that the kind of stuff you were referring to ?

• Upvote 1

It's in the crap category for certain.

Novelty records always peed me of too.

• Upvote 1