Bowie did some fantastic stuff - no doubt about it. But he also made a few turkeys along the way as well!

I think I'm right in saying that his most successful album was 'Let's Dance'.

Great songs, great playing, great production - and his voice was at the top of its game, but he actually tried to disown it a few years after.

Maybe he was trying to be arty and 'left field'.

The follow up album was garbage. It didn't sell anything like as well.

I bet most people can't even remember the title.

(Black Tie White Noise).

I wasn't a fan of the 2013 album either.

GOOD RECORDS!! Zoot money:do the uncle Willie,Eyes of Blue:supermarket full of cans,The mighty Avengers: so much in love,Hedgehoppers anonymous: good news week,zager & Evans:2525, The Standells: lil' red riding hood, cpt Beefheart: safe as milk,Graham bond Organization: long tall shorty,The big three:some other guy,Simon Dupree: kites. Also Herd,Move,Edgar Broughton band,Marauders,Nashville teens,AND!! For the ladies, YouTube this beauty"SHAPE& SIZES"..RAIN ON MY FACE.get listnin!!

Some great stuff there Ian. A fantastic one hit wonder was Something in the Air by Thunderclap Newman. Great record.

Re. post 27.

Pete Townsend had a lot to do with the success of 'Something In The Air'.

He produced it, played bass on it (Bijou Drains) and published it.

A few years before Speedy Keen's death he said that he had been trying to track him down in order to give him a cheque for a million pounds. Such was the success of the record.

It may have been a one-hit wonder but it was used so many times for different things - as well as being such a well-played golden oldie.

I think I'm right in saying that John Keen had been Townsend's flatmate and also his chauffeur. It was his fast-driving that earned him the name Speedy.

Amazing that one hit could set you up for life !

• Upvote 1

Very interesting Barclaycon,some great artists on the Track label; inc..Arthur Brown. Norman Greenbaum became a goat farmer..another great one hit merchant!! A lot have follow ups..but bomb.

Ha. Norman Greenbaum.

Yes you're right Ian, another fantastic one hit wonder.

Spirit In the Sky was covered by loads of people - Elton John, Bauhaus, even Gareth Gates.

It's still used in movies and TV programmes today.

I loved the guitar sound on that record. Produced by Erik Jacobsen - who did the Lovin'Spoonful, Tim Hardin, Chris Isaak.

I was doing a programme on local radio and was asked to track down the follow up to Spirit In The Sky.

It was called Canned Ham.

Not very good (!)

• Upvote 1

Canned ham it was!! Did local radio here for four years, in the 80's I made tapes for loads of shops and salons in Nottm at £5.00 a throw that's how I got really into music.. then I did so many house parties..12 hour sessions!! Dj'd here but got fed up..now I stage the odd album night.I buy a 180gramme LP bring my HiFi and huge speakers into a hired room and invite "listeners". It works!! Any cult lp suggestions??

The Animals first album ..... Sheer brilliance. Spooky Two ....... Spooky Tooth.

Not a bad song amongst them.

Now come on folks. What is crap and what is good? Remember the saying about one man's meat? Most of it must be a matter of opinion. I love the Beatles and have on my PC just about everything they did. But not everyone likes this. I think a lot of modern music is crap. But my grandkids don't. I like Rock'n Roll and most of the popular bands of the sixties, also Motown. My work mate is into Jazz. My Dad loved the Dance Bands, but if he heard the Rolling Stones his comments were unrepeatable. That is what music is about. It is something we enjoy.

• Upvote 1

Nobodies mentioned Fleetwood Mac...