personal documents etc..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father-in-law's certificate for crossing the equator during WW2.

Found this in our house on Hall Street. The house was owned and rented by Mr Wainman. Cannot put an accurate date on it but it is either wartime or early post-war.

Those of a certain age will remember National Service. If you were eighteen years of age and fit you were called up. The first image below was sent to me by my employer, Rolls-Royce at Hucknall, relay

When I lived in an old farmhouse (kitchen dating back to 1600's) I had the deeds and transfers of sale going back to 1784, the oldest ones being hand written on parchment by quill pen and ink. Sadly I cannot show them as I passed them on to the new owners of the house when we left, as I felt they should stay with the house. They made incredibly interesting reading charting the history of the Lownds who originally owned the house. What was really spooky about them was the similarity between the Lownds family and my own, for example John Lownds died on my birthday and was buried in the churchyard in the village from where we had moved. He had 3 daughters who survived childhood, Charlotte, Elizabeth and Ann.....my 3 daughters are named Charlotte, Samantha's middle name is Elizabeth and the youngest is Joanna.

• Upvote 2

US visitor's visa c1984, They used to let anybody in.

img145_zpsgkookw6c.jpg

Catfan,

"INDEFINITELY"? Does that mean you could still have been there legally, if you had not returned?

Don't think so Mick, I always thought it was a visa for lifetime use NOT residential status, period of stay was I think only 6 months at a time.

Unless someone knows better then I am all ears !

When you were not required to have a visa to visit USA, I fixed my old passport with the visa stamp in it (saying INDEFINITELY) to the new passport, just in case. I went to America, showed the passports and the man, who immediately crossed out the visa and wrote on it ' cancelled without prejudice'.

• Upvote 1

When I went through in to the US they attached a card to my passport adjacent to the visa & removed it when I left.

A friend of mine left the US one day before her 6 month limit & was "grilled" by US Immigration Service at length wanting to know where she had been etc.

Darn it. Went to look through mother-in-laws paperwork we brought back with us after her death. Many years ago she showed me a receipt for a burial plot in the General Cemetery. It was for 6 guineas, and was to hold 5 people. She must have tossed it when having a clearout. Can you imagine how far down #1 was? And it would be hand dug as well.

Found this in our house on Hall Street. The house was owned and rented by Mr Wainman. Cannot put an accurate date on it but it is either wartime or early post-war.

Wainmans%20store_zps00btpgmu.jpg

Ration%20list_zpsrecqaxd3.jpg

• Upvote 5

#35 chulla............great pieces of history there chulla,.....we were taught the same style of window dressing at Marsdens early 60s,........if you promise not to tell anyone,ive got a certificate for window dressing.......shuush.

#37 stephen.............yes lovely flowing handwriting,and somehow prices looked better in old money.

The ballpoint pen killed off hand writing skills, probably why we weren't allowed to use them at school way back, fountain pen, pencil, or those "scratchy blotty" pens only.

The only good use for those scratchy pens was darts practice...

Thats right ayup' and the lap top has almost killed of writing alltogether,apart from crosswords (easy ones) i hardly ever write anything.

Maybe not a personal document as such, but of interest I hope. My mother visited America in the early 1950s - by boat of course in those days - going there on a ship called the Georgic (an ex-White Star Liner) and returning on the Queen Mary. This is a postcard for passengers showing details of the voyage:

Queen20Mary_zpswkcvl7zo.jpg

• Upvote 2

Some fabulous stuff appearing in this thread. Thanks gang, I'm loving it.

Those of a certain age will remember National Service. If you were eighteen years of age and fit you were called up. The first image below was sent to me by my employer, Rolls-Royce at Hucknall, relaying the instructions they received from the Ministry of Labour. Because I was undertaking an apprenticeship the call-up was deferred until it ended at my 21st birthday. The second image informs me of the deferment. In the intervening period National Service was ended and I missed it by a couple of months or so. This pleased me no end as it would have seriously interfered with my lifestyle - rock and roll and motorbikes.

National%20Service%201_zpsmw3zdyxz.jpg

National%20Service%202_zpsxyit006x.jpg

• Upvote 3

Here's one I had from the Governor some years ago; note the telephone number!

scan0006.jpg

• Upvote 2

Another item from my mother's American trip - a breakfast menu from the voyage out on the Georgic.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsggopwtxg.jpg

If it was me, I think I would have started with the Chilled Orange Juice, not being much of a one for Wheatena or Briskies. I'd follow that with some Broiled Bacon and Fried Eggs, although the Roast Lamb from the cold buffet looks tempting - never had cold lamb for breakfast I must admit. But no Carmalt for me, thanks - I'd settle for toast and marmalade.

All washed down with Ceylon Tea. I'm afraid I would never touch Instant Postum - you can't beat freshly brewed.

• Upvote 2

Here's a couple more items from my old suitcase. Note the price of HALF a cow in 1987 - and that includes shipping on the MV Monsunen from West Falkland to Stanley some 70 miles by sea. Also of note is the cost of having two ball joints replaced in my Landrover series III:

scan0007.jpg

• Upvote 1