You CANNOT Be Serious !

There's a team of "hams" over here do antenna repair work, OK you say, well try jobs on towers up to 2000 feet towers!! They charge over $100 an hour, minimum a full days work.

As a young fellow I used to work on rooves with my dad, a builder, he would think nothing of shinning up a triple extender wooden ladder with a crawler ladder on his shoulder and stick the crawler up to the chimney stacks while I footed the ladder then climbed to the junction to pass dad a bucket of mortar or some slates, while he sat happily on the roof.

Then in my 30's I became a Telecom tech and did the pole climbing thing and again used to go up and down some real scary big telegraph poles, especiallly around Sherwood and Mapperley park, in all weathers.

As I grew older I have become a wuss with heights and now actually fear them ! just watching part of those videos with the idiots playing with their lives scares me to death !

As we become older I think our lives become more precious, mine has anyway.

• Upvote 3

Your last comment is so true, banjo48. Many of the Nottstalgians have health problems and value every minute of their lives. Then they see videos like the one's above where people gamble with their lives. And let's not forget that any mistake is certain death, as is shown in my post #4. But lets not also forget that the young have always gambled with their lives in one form or another and always will.

mick2me post #2, watched the video for about 4 mins, now i am sitting at home looking at a screen and i feel sick and woozy watching, god knows how these lads can do this, on the one hand you have to say, bloody stupid idiots etc. but then again they have obviously got guts i mean would you do it.

• Upvote 1

Some enjoy climbing towers for a living, after all, someone has to install and maintain those antennas on towers, and not all towers have lifts. Over here, if a warning lamp fails on top of a 200 foot tower upwards, the FCC and FAA levy a huge fine.

On the real big towers, the guys carry a toilet roll and a couple of empty plastic bottles....I'll let you guess what for...LOL

I used to have a mate who frequently went up this tower at Walnut Grove, Ca, to service his commercial radio repeater and antennas. This tower has a lift from ground level to the radio vault. He said it takes about 30 minutes to ascend the tower. The tower carried several local TV stations, with the main amplifiers at ground level, one was 6Mw!! That was channel 3 in Sacramento pre digital broadcasting.

Its funny, i've sort of gone the other way. When I was an apprentice I was scared of heights, but had to make best of it or lose the job. I'll never forget working on re-wiring the RC Cathedreal on Derby Rd. in the early 60s. I was scared crawling around the scaffolding trying to run Pyro. No where near as high as the guys on the video are going. But I had heard of guys dying from falls of just a few feet. As I've gotten older I'm not so bothered and will happily run up a ladder, much to my wife's dismay. Maybe when you know that most of your life is now behind it you it doesn't bother you so much?

Just saw an item on the news last night that more over 65s die from complications of falls than just about anything else.

My climbing days are done, my knees are screwed up from crawling on low faces years ago. I used to climb small towers, but now its crank up tilt overs from me or straight tilt overs where I can install my antennas at ground level.

My neighbour when a builder roofer used to laugh at my fear of heights. He once said to me "Catfan" if that roof was on your back garden you would run up & down it all day long without a problem. Just think that he said. Sod that.

29 Sep 1932, Manhattan, New York City, New York State, USA --- Construction workers eat their lunches atop a steel beam 800 feet above ground, at the building site of the RCA Building in Rockefeller Center. --- Image by © Bettmann/CORBIS

skyscraper_2343046b%25255B1%25255D.jpg

If God had wanted me to like heights, he'd have given me wings.

Well I can cope with that !!!!!

Looking up can be pretty risky, them pesky birds have good aims...LOL

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...