St Patricks church

when I was about five (born in 1953)I can vaguely remember going to this church.it was below lower parliament street on the opposite of the road to the bus depot and before London road.i know the priest was father soar,although I cannot see how this helps. does anybody know of any site with photographs of it?when was it demolished,as I can only remember going there a few times?thanks for any help.

redbowen, if it's the one I think you are referring to, it was at the junction of Parliament Street / London Road / Canal Street. Demolished in the late 60s / early 70s.
nGJpd6x.jpg

And a wider view showing its position relative to the rest of the world. The white building in the centre is the Plumptre Hospital / Almshouses which is still there today.
9cOguIX.jpg

• Upvote 3

My dad worked on the demolition of this church, it was probably 1978 /1979 as I was still at school, I remember that I went with him a couple of times.

I seem to remember that one of his workmates had a bad fall from height on that job, there was not much H&S then.

The church bell, or bells were given to a school in Wilford, St Patricks catholic school. I wonder if they still have it.

Looking at a photo of the school, there is a large bell on the wall outside the entrance I wonder if that is it.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...