redbowen

St Patricks church

when I was about five (born in 1953)I can vaguely remember going to this church.it was below lower parliament street on the opposite of the road to the bus depot and before London road.i know the priest was father soar,although I cannot see how this helps. does anybody know of any site with photographs of it?when was it demolished,as I can only remember going there a few times?thanks for any help.

redbowen, if it's the one I think you are referring to, it was at the junction of Parliament Street / London Road / Canal Street. Demolished in the late 60s / early 70s.
nGJpd6x.jpg

And a wider view showing its position relative to the rest of the world. The white building in the centre is the Plumptre Hospital / Almshouses which is still there today.
9cOguIX.jpg

• Upvote 3

that is the one.thank you.this is my first post but I have had tremendous enjoyment following all the other topics.keep up the good work.

redbowen, if it's there to be seen then Cliff Ton will find it, lol. I'm pleased that you've found what you're looking for and that you're enjoying Nottstalgia.

• Upvote 2

From a different angle. The road disappearing off into the horizon is London Road, and all the large buildings in the middle distance are Boots at Island Street.

VGbUcEg.jpg

• Upvote 1

My dad worked on the demolition of this church, it was probably 1978 /1979 as I was still at school, I remember that I went with him a couple of times.

I seem to remember that one of his workmates had a bad fall from height on that job, there was not much H&S then.

The church bell, or bells were given to a school in Wilford, St Patricks catholic school. I wonder if they still have it.

Looking at a photo of the school, there is a large bell on the wall outside the entrance I wonder if that is it.

• Upvote 1

My son was baptised at Saint Patricks in 1973 by a very pleasant Irish priest. I remember all the rubble and waste ground from demolition all around.

Lot of my school mate attended St.Pats..went on to Becket or Corpus/ 

then they almalgamated in '76?

Welcome to. Nottstalgia, Dorothy.  Hope you find lots of stuff on here to interest you.