The greatest year for music? 1975 perhaps

I would put 1975 high on the list and remember Test Broadcasts of Radio Trent in July 1975.

It only played a loop of half a dozen numbers but they were all great sounds. Great times.

I have been trying to remember the tracks.

I think this was one of them?

Me neither Kev. Music.......... No way. !!!!!!!

Other than hits by The Eagles, the rest of the charts were totally dire.

Mainly disco and novelty records..... Oh and Shawaddywaddy.

The was some great stuff, but on albums.

'75 had some belters Mick..Tears on my pillow, johnny Nash. I'm not in love,10cc.ms grace,tymes.January, pilot.I think they re-released, space oddity, bowie.Course then..Queen,with that monster hit!! Mud,art Garfunkel, even kojack..old Theo himself!! Some faves of mine: highly,john miles.i'm on fire,5000 volts.Also I have Lyn Paul's divebomb single"it oughta sell a million"..alas it didn't!!

Everybody's musical tastes are different but as far as myself and others that I know are concerned, the 70's were appalling. The decade started off with the embarrassingly awful and narcistic 'Glam Rock' and finished with the crude and aggressive 'Punk' era. Things got so bad as far as I was concerned that when I moved down to Essex in 76 I gave up listening to Radio 1 and switched to classical music.

Things weren't all bad, you just had to hunt around for it, fortunately I got to know personally Trevor Dann and John Holmes from Radio Nottingham and Paul Gambaccini who was at Oxford University and editor of the UK edition of Rolling Stone Magazine. Gambo used to be sent hundreds of albums from the States to be reviewed so my tastes became very 'Country Rock' orientated, there was more to American music than the somewhat bland Eagles at the time, Little Feat, Lynard Skynard, Steely Dan all spring to mind. On the UK front there plenty of stuff around that rarely got played on the radio. A memorable occasion was when Trevor Dann and John Holmes met me for a pint and took us to the Radio Nottingham studio to witness a live and very contraversial interview with our favourite, John Martyn. I sat at the sound desk with Trevor who was convinced the powers that be would pull the plug at any moment as such that was being said was very litiginous, in particular they were expecting a call from Elton John's solicitor, though I doubt whether Elton ever listened to Radio Nottingham! As for John Martyn, fuelled by a mixture of very strong weed and a crate of Shippoes Nut Brown Ale supplied by Radio Nottingham, he couldn't care less what he said about anything or anybody. A very nice bloke though, I turned down his offer of a lift to his concert at the Uni as I wasn't confident I'd survive the trip, bloody brilliant concert though, just him and Danny Thompson at their best.

The 70's was a good decade for bands at local venues, particularly at the Uni, I can't remember everyone I saw, some spring to mind, The Faces, Curved Air, Vinegar Joe, Stone the Crows, Osibisa, Nazareth, The Average White Band, Chris Spedding, Loudon Wainwright 111, Gill Scott-Heron, Ralph McTell, Mike Chapman, Tom Paxton, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Captain Beefheart, Procul Harum, Groundhogs, Steelers Wheel, Peter Framptons Camel, Focus, Renaissance, Caravan, Supertramp, Duster Bennett, The Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, Jackson Heights, Cockney Rebel, Ian Matthews Southern Comfort, Edgar Broughton and not forgetting Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, etc etc etc.

I never saw or wanted to see any Punk bands, as for Glam rock, Mud turned up to perform at my ex's Derby Hall end of term ball at the Uni and to everyones surprise performed Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones numbers all night. Roy Woods Wizard appeared at the Uni and spent most of the time being obnoxious and spitting at the crowd. T-Rex were very disappointing with Marc Bolan in 'Me Me' mode, we nearly gave up on them and contemplated going to the Buttery Bar instead but couldn't get out the room.

1975, fine if you didn't listen to Radio 1 or watch Top of the Pops.

• Upvote 1

Great stuff Pete!! That's the stuff I love,must say I am envious you saw Ian Mathews and Gill Scott Heron. Music IS personal.. To be honest its not types of music I don't like..it's songs or artists. Punk I suppose added to the mosaic of music. It was on the cards! Paganini was the Johnny Rotton of his day. Still, I'd like to have seen mr,martyn on the nut brown..slagging all and sundry!!

Anyone who slags off 'Aunty Elton ' can't be all bad. LOL

I saw Ian Matthews at the Boat Club. I did my usual trick of getting the best spot with the roadies/manager/girlfriend/soundesk. In this instance Ian broke a string and handed his guitar down, the replacement was out of tune and to my astonishment neither he nor the roadies could tune by ear so, while the band carried on, I tuned up, handed him his guitar then put a new string on the other one.

The first time I saw John Martyn was in 1972 at Trent Poly Union Building. They stuck him in a relatively small room next to the bar while The Sutherland Brothers had the dining hall to themselves. People kept walking past him to get to the bar talking to each other as if he wasn't there, that didn't last long, he stopped playing and threatened to 'Chin' the next person that came along, nobody dare go past after that.

One band I forgot to mention was Roxy Music, we saw them in the Poly dining hall before they were famous, must have been 72 as well. Their next appearance was in the Nottingham Uni gym, that was the only band that ever appeared in there, the floor got wrecked and cost a fortune to put right.

By the way Bubblewrap, after reading your post I dug out my copy of L A Woman, hadn't played it for years, still bloody brilliant.

Anyone who slags off 'Aunty Elton ' can't be all bad. LOL

John Martyn referring to Aunty Elton as a 'F*****g Woofter' and explaining how he'd once threatened to 'Chin Him' on stage all being broadcast live on Radio Nottingham at 7:00 in the evening was a joy to behold, poor John Holmes who was doing the interview did'nt know whether to laugh or cry while Mr Martyn sat in front of the mike with a big grin on his face and a bottle of brown ale in his hand.

I saw Roxy at the Poly. They were different to say the least. I think Rik Kenton (Nottm lad) was still with them on bass, but I can't be sure. It was due to the colossal amount of Shippos brown & mild that I'd previously consumed.

I saw Roxy at the Poly. They were different to say the least. I think Rik Kenton (Nottm lad) was still with them on bass, but I can't be sure. It was due to the colossal amount of Shippos brown & mild that I'd previously consumed.

He was, he got interviewed by John Holmes on Radio Nottingham as well.

For some reason they put the 'stage' at the opposite end of the dining hall that night, we stood on chairs at the back of the hall and got a clear view until they played Virginia Plain at the end and we had to have a dance around.

I knew Rik vaguely prior to those days, late 60's. He was good on lead guitar too. He jammed with some of my mates downstairs at the Miltons Head. (The original one).

Pete, my older brother told me about the gym floor, did they pull up strips of it??

They put down a variety of matting in the vain hope of protecting the floor from the heavy duty platform soles that were in fashion at the time, the experiment failed.

There were some odd characters about that night as Roxy had by then achieved considerable fame. There was bloke called 'Iron Man' who closely resembled Frankenstein's monster and stood staring in front of Andy Mackay. Eventually the band stopped playing mid tune and gathered together to stare back. After a while, acutely embarressed, Iron Man drifted away into the crowd.

#24 reminds me of a time I saw Steve Earle at Cambridge Corn Exchange many years ago.

A drunk near the front kept demanding that Steve sing a certain song, and he replied several times that it wasn't in his repertoire for the evening.

After about four or five attempts to shut the guy up, Steve leaned forward and said 'If you don't shut up, I will personally see that you don't get home tonight ' ...... From then on, perfect silence. LOL

Steve is certainly not a man to mess with.