A treasure trove of old railway pictures

My thoughts too MI, although it's maybe a Black 5.

The engines in the marshalling yard are definitely of ex GE origin to my mind. J 15,17,19 and 20, of Hill and Holdens designs.

I was interested in the sequence around 1.35 where the train goes past the old Broad Marsh bus station. You can clearly see a West Bridgford bus and an NCT bus, both at the stops for Clifton. It's quite possible I could have been on one of those buses.

5 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Good picture quality on that video.  Considering the time it had to be 8mm or super 8.  Makes me wonder if it was actually 16mm.

The first part at Leicester is fairly amateur wobble-cam, but the later material on the train and at Victoria seems at least semi-professional.

• Like 2

Kind of on topic.  I was chatting to a rather cultured old chap today as I waited for a tyre repair at a tyre place in St Helens.  The chap told me he was a retired analytical and industrial chemist. now living in the 'Railway House' on the former site of Crank Station, which was on a long dismantled line between St Helens and Rainford, Lancs. I pass there quite often. He told me workmen doing stuff at his house had dug up an old cast iron sign for 'CRANK', which he'd had restored.  Also, parts of the platform.  Best of all.. somehow in past he had acquired one of the name plates for Coronation Class  'City of Manchester', which he reckoned now has a value of around £35k!!!!!  The other is in a museum in Manchester.

Col

• Like 1

There's certainly some cash in railway memorabilia these days. I wish I'd saved my few treasures !

Me too.  Most of mine were small bits 'liberated' from the sidings at Toton, along with the odd small instruction.  ( Do not use the Toilet whilst.. etc...)  :)

Lots of opportunities missed.

Watching a documentary last night about railways and it was showing  St Pancras Station and it said that the red bricks used to build it were manufactured in Nottingham and that the red stone used was from Mansfield, never knew that!

I think most of the heavy engineering came from the north and midlands,not sure and as you say it was their railway,they could transport it

Rog

• 3 weeks later...

Ah,The Tecalamit air operated grease pump, ,still used in the quarrying industry and probably other industries

Rog