Scriv

A treasure trove of old railway pictures

Scriv    114

I have struck upon a little gold mine for Nottstalgia's railway fans; photo albums published by a chap called David Ford, comprising pictures taken by his father in the 1940's - 1960's and by himself in the 1970's/80's. Lots of stuff from all over the UK but plenty from the East Midlands, including some interesting ones of the early preserved GCR.

Some of the older ones sre not of the best quality and have deteriorated with time, but there's a veritable cornucopia of memories for you in here. And thanks to Mr. Ford for publishing them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/sets/with/72157632973221514

Enjoy!

• Upvote 3

Some great stuff Scriv,Hereford/bulmers was always a nice spot. Princess Elizabeth seemed to be there a lot.Rotherham shots are nice too. Settle and Low Gill remind me of the '76 heatwave.

Trevor S    1,992

Thanks Scriv, great photos of a bygone era.... hellothere

Compo    3,723

What a long-shot! Last night I saw a picture of a B12/3 at Nottingham Victoria in a 20yr old Steam World magazine and determined to see if there were any photos of a B12 at Nottingham on the internet. I have just this minute come off DavidWF's site in order to post the Web address here and lo! Scriv has done the same - talk about coincidence! Some great shots on there too.

When I saw the name DavidWF I wondered if it might be our own DavidW.

albert smith    425

Phew, what a collection! I clicked on 'Nottm. Midland in B & W' and almost the first photo is Bob Revill & Dvr. Adrian Rowe on a 3f at Basford. I fired for them both in later years, when I mentioned to Adrian that I had a 3 year old son he made him an 'engine' out of scrap bits, a yard long, sit in the tender, pram wheels & cotton bobbins for chimney & buffers! he thought it was great but it was b----y tiring pulling him around the yard in it.

Ouch! the sons got a bus pass now!!!

• Upvote 1

Compo    3,723

Had another look at this collection of photos and found some great shots of Daybrook.

Chulla    4,345

One for the railway buffs; found it on YouTube.

The shed is 9A Longsight, and  the Jube is Sarawak

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

plantfit    3,201

Don't you just love big machines? enjoyed that video Chulla thanks

Rog

Smiffy49    574

Great film, now that is nostalgia!

• Like 1

albert smith    425

Nice one Chulla, 10 years before my railway time! 10 hour shifts & 'disposing' of the engine was the norm. in those days but a pity the 'preparation' of the engine wasn't shown as it involves the driver squeezing up to oil the inside motion. I could be wrong but I think the LH side rod should be @ 5 oclock, the RH rod would be @1 oclock to put the 'inside' bits forward to allow the driver space between the firebox/ashpan & the bigend etc. Still a tight fit and woe betide the cleaners if the driver got dirty! A standing joke was if the driver had a bit of a 'belly' and got stuck the fireman would shout 'hang on I'll bring her forward half a turn', it made for a very quick descent!

• Like 1

loppylugs    5,210

Good little film.  Thanks for the link Chulla.  The guy on the opening picture looks like my late uncle Arthur.  I doubt that it was, but he was an engine driver when I was a kid.  I thought he was ancient, but he was probably only in his forties or fifties so he could have been driving back in '38.

Chulla    4,345

Here you are Albert and Loppy. My God, just look at the labour, time taken and working conditions. No wonder we have diesels nd electrics.

• Like 2

NewBasfordlad    2,584

That film is a cracker, most of us love steam loco's without a thought for the level of maintenance they need.

The guy climbing in the fire box reminds me of yours truly climbing into large gas boilers at Notts Uni many years ago.

Thanks Chulla.

Willow wilson    103

See the palatial accommodation of the shed booking clerk? Straight from a 30s Ealing film.

Interesting to see what happens in the unglamorous down time, breathing all that dust. The controlled cooling period, never heard of that before but obvious when explained and I guess it was still a hot task working in the firebox. And the job titles were certainly unambiguous.