• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Getting used to seeing the Robins around town and quite like the idea of bringing a bit of colour to the streets. In fact today I took photos of a couple of them on my travels. Here I present the

Catfan, apartĀ from brightening the streets up and encouraging people to discover each and every Robin, they will be auctioned off at the end of the season and all proceeds will go to The Nottinghamshi

One more point if I may. It's pretty much certain that Clough will be remembered the A52 Nottingham to Derby is named after him, as to T&D every time I hear the bolero I think of them.

8 minutes ago, NewBasfordlad said:

^^^Think your right on that one the main use of the bow in battle was the 'arrow storm'. However there must have been some very good archers if they practiced enough for it to alter their skeletal remains.

Ā 

Didn't someone write an account of Falkirk where it was said the Scots ran looking like 'hedge hogs'?

Ā 

Sure.

I don't know about Falkirk, but I would have loved to have seen it, or maybe not. A bit too close for comfort. Good writing though. You seem a bit of an expert?Ā :)

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Ā although Chulla would, in his saffron- robed wisdom

Ā 

Such wisdom is only sent down from the gods to the chosen few.Ā 

• Like 1

Jill I wouldn't know if it was good or bad, the only reason I know the name is through T&D.

Ā 

I don't get involved in the 'classical' music debate but otherwise have a varied taste from traditional English folk, to the Stones for a lively evening or back in the courting days a little Moody Blues in the ladies ear.

10 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

In a bottle labelled Tibetan Tipple!

Ā 

What drink switches you on to Bach? syrup of figs? lol

• 4 months later...

Again?

Ā 

It used to be a regular thing when I lived in Nottingham.

Ā 

More common, though, was his arrows were nicked so often there was a stock of spares kept in one of the caves further down the road.

Ā 

BTW, has the statue been changed? He looks a lot younger than when I was around (or is it just me getting very old?)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, trogg said:

regarding these pigeonsļ»æ in Nottinghļ»æļ»æaļ»æļ»æļ»æmļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ

Ā 

Pigeons? I think you'll find their Robins? Robin, Robin Hood. You must have seen them their is 33 all over Nottingham City Centre, look quite impressive all painted by different artists.

Hoodwinked

http://www.hoodwinked2018.co.uk/robin-sculptures/

• Like 1

They are over 6 foot tall so must weigh a bit,Ā those down the train Station might have took a kicking,Ā lots of Leicester City fans taking liberties down the Canal house this afternoon my spy's tell me had to close the pub down,think they batteredĀ Notts 4-1Ā 

• Like 1

Getting used to seeing the Robins around town and quite like the idea of bringing a bit of colour to the streets. In fact today I took photos of a couple of them on my travels.

Here I present the City Ground Robin and Rockinā€™ Robin which is outside Victoria Baths

1_D39_C7_CE-_A140-4966-9_BB5-_D9_EF1_D065824_C02_D-1202-4662-_A061-_C80_F01_B328

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Catfan, apartĀ from brightening the streets up and encouraging people to discover each and every Robin, they will be auctioned off at the end of the season and all proceeds will go to The Nottinghamshire Hospice, a worth cause surely?Ā 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Nottingham is no worse than any other British city in regards to violent crime. Ā Itā€™s very sad that gangs are using guns and knives, and it IS gang warfare weā€™re dealing with ....... the ordinary man in the street should have nothing to fear in my opinion. Ā  When we hear about someone being fatally injured in a knife attack I doubt that person is a regular hard-working man or woman, thereā€™s always something dubious about them. Ā Drugs, booze or a woman is usually the reason for the attack. Ā 

Ā 

We have a business in Jamaica, my husband has spent a lot of time there, especially Kingston, during the past 20 years. Ā Never ever has he felt threatened, even though Kingston has a bad reputation and there are hundreds of murders in the city every year. Ā In fact only last week the teenage son of one of our employees was shot in a nightclub. Ā The bullet went through his chest and out the other side! Ā Miraculously he survived and heā€™s going to be fine. Ā He was targeted because of a woman ........ Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

I've read you have to prove you've got Ā£3000 before you can even take part in the auction! Ā  I read that bit of info on the Woodthorpe Park Fb group who have been fundraising so they can try and get one ...

Yes Margie, itā€™s the Sherwood FB group that have organised a crowd-funding campaign to try to get one to put either in Woodthorpe Park or on Mansfield Road in the middle of Sherwood. Ā Now Mapperley Park are wanting one too. Ā There are 34 going under the hammer this evening so if they all sell for Ā£3000 plus then the Nottinghamshire Hospice will do very well out of it. Ā I loved seeing them dotted around the city this summer, fun for families and all for a good cause. Ā My favourite was Rockā€™ Robin that stood outside Victoria Baths. Ā Ā 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully thousands will be raised for this worthy cause.

I think it would be better on Mansfield Road in Sherwood in full public view, as that might deter any idiots trying to 'improve' what it looksĀ like. Ā If it was in the park, it wouldn't be so protected at night ...

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure Sherwood will have secured a Robin Margie, I think the one they hoped to get went for Ā£3500 and I know they had more in the pot than that. Ā Looks like over Ā£1 million pounds was raised tonight for the Hospice which is outstanding. Ā Probably a good job I didnā€™t go to the auction because the one I would have liked went for more than Ā£4KĀ :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

A great result by all concerned.