What's In Your Car Boot ?

That reminds me of a time when I was in the Air Force. A friend lived on RAF Sculthorpe and he had an old Mars Bar Viva that was making a bit of a racket from the back end somewhere. I went into the boot and hung over the back listening for the noise whilst he drove up and down the runway!

• Upvote 1

In the wheel well are: Proper full-size spare wheel, extending wheel brace, jack, hi viz vest, first aid kit, roll of spanners, warning triangle, umbrella.

I wonder how many people are aware that they may not have a proper spare wheel in their car. It may well be a space-saver, or even a tube of foam for injection into the flat tyre.

Having a puncture in the middle of nowhere today can be a lot more difficult than it used to be.

That reminds me of a time when I was in the Air Force. A friend lived on RAF Sculthorpe and he had an old Mars Bar Viva that was making a bit of a racket from the back end somewhere. I went into the boot and hung over the back listening for the noise whilst he drove up and down the runway!

I lived at RAF Sculthorpe for a couple of years myself, 1966/68, while based at West Raynham. Great ex - USAF base now sold off to private housing.

There seems to be two groups of people here. The 'be prepared for anything ' types, and the scruffy sods lik me who use the boot as a store room.

• Upvote 1

My boot contains snow tracks, winter survival kit, many shopping "bags for life", a trolley bag from about 20yrs ago, a few car tools and a broken fishing net.

Just thinking how much money dumping the spare or putting one of those temporary spares in has saved the car manufacturers over the last few years, but the prices just keep on going up. Saw a news item the other night that said on average Americans are keeping their cars for eleven and a half years.

Tomlinson #28: I was at West Raynham in 1970/71. It was just a spare base by then with a squadron of Bloodhounds to make up the numbers.

SWMBO's car has no spare wheel, just a can of spray stuff that is supposed to keep you going until the next tyre place - great if you are travelling at 1am and get a flat tyre!

• 3 years later...

I have a Ford Fiesta ST line ECO Boost, I was going to take the alloys off & give em a good scrub, could be the first time I've opened the boot, I knew I did not have a spare wheel, but also ain't got a jack or wheel brace? Phoned Ford UK asked them she replied! "You haven't got a spare wheel why would you need a jack?" Fair point.

D0arjs9WkAA2ZwY?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

Just had a new car and after a couple of weeks noticed that the parcel shelf was missing. Phoned showroom and they said they would order one. Time passed no parcel shelf. Phoned again and was told it didnt need one as glass was non see through. Oh.. Checked and its not its clear so phoned again and they said they would order one. Still waiting up til last week. Apparently we have to pay for it . My husband told them to keep it. I only carry shopping bags in the boot and when I arrive home they are emptied so any would be theif can see whats in there so no sense.

Everything has to be extra nowadays.

Boots wouldn't hold everything I need to carry, so have a cargo bed, pickup truck. Was supposed to be the wife's, she liked it on the test drive, but now her leg is giving her a lot of pain, she has a job climbing in the drivers seat, even with the step sides, passenger side has a handle she can grab, so it looks like the truck is mine.

Only thing I don't like is it's automatic transmission, I like the adjustable pedal feature, electric seat adjustment, dash readout and all the other bells and whistles.

So now we have to look for a small pickup truck lower to the ground.