Windows 10 At Last !

Today's the day & with a bit of trepidation I decided to download & install the latest offering from those wonderful people at Microsoft !

P1020462_zpss4nj9cb1.jpg

P1020472_zpsb3rtgxqp.jpg

P1020469_zpsjdgnyo1e.jpg

P1020475_zpsrtkbakmf.jpg

P1020477_zpssiygdfjx.jpg

Here we have it, free & gratis !

P1020480_zps2jebwnjp.jpg

P1020476_zpsnzhrf9ln.jpg

Even allows a back up to be made, either USB or DVD.

P1020478_zpsmcmtbjap.jpg

From start to finish was under a hour with absolutely no problems & everything working fine for now ! (fingers crossed).

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anything which prevents karaoke happening is a good thing.

PHEW, I'll tell you what; I have been all Shook Up AH HAHA and Panicky for the last 19ish hours. Late last night while I was getting settled for my last dose of Nottstalgia for the day, I looked at my

I like all the different pictures it keeps showing me (and asking me if I like them - very polite)

As yet I can't fault it, in fact it was the easiest install I have ever done from Win 98 upwards ! Absolutely no problems at all, went in like a dream.

Everything working fine & I will give it a few weeks & if still OK I will install on Mrs Catfan's PC !

Being a PC thicko it's took me long enough to understand what I've got...change would just confuse me completely. I can't see that upgrading would make any difference to my using a PC as what little knowledge I have doesn't cover 1% of what the machine is capable of. I'll stick with 7

• Upvote 1

Mmm yeah. Bootup.

I bet it's not ready to go after 12 seconds !

Usually you find that even though the desktop appears there's still loads going on - connecting to networks, internet etc, libraries loading, so on and so forth.

Plus in a real-world situation there will be OS updates, antivirus updates, flash player.....

Don't get me wrong, if it does boot up quicker I'll be delighted.

I'm assuming that it doesn't have that retarded jigsaw that was standard with Windows 8 (The metro interface).

Looking forward to hearing more about your Windows 10 experience.

I'm still on 7, it will do me for a few more years.

• Upvote 1

Not really relevent to me now as I've just moved up to a Macbook, but from what I've heard is if you've got 7 then stick to it for now !

I did read that this new 10 will share you wifi connection details between contacts by default so must be switched off, but no idea how or why.

I know a couple of chaps that have been running the beta version and they were not too impressed, and were the one's saying keep 7.

Ready to go after 12 sec bootup !

I ran Win 7 Ultimate for along while & still like that one, however Win 8 was much faster, love Win 8 / 8.1 only upgraded to Win 10 cos it didn't cost me anything. !

This is the first O/S that all my drivers migrated over no problem, the "experts" say if your PC peripherals work OK on 7/8 they will work fine on 10 !!

It will be interesting to see what figures Microsoft give for the number of upgrades. I suspect most, like me, will wait for the good and bad reports to come through before taking the plunge.

Wondering how you managed the dual boot with Linux/Windows, Catfan? I wanted to do that on my laptop and tried to set it up. Somehow, Linux dumped Windows and I could not boot back in. So I was thrown in at the deep end with Linux. ( I had backed up my data). Anyway after the learning curve I was happy with Linux. My wife has said she would like to try Linux, but I am reluctant to try as I don't need the hassle of trying to bring her up to speed on Linux so I would like for her to be able to easily go back to Win 7. Any ideas?

Did the upgrade from Win7 on the laptop last night. Took about an hour to install, then another hour for me to change display settings, check that old software works, then clean up the crap left using CCleaner and Registry Cleaner.

Somehow, and don't ask how I managed it, I lost the Start Menu. Everyone else works.

So, I'll probably roll it back to Win7 and try again when I can be bothered. MS gives you a month to do this.

When upgrading Rob.L elect to keep existing settings & after a successful install then delete the "old" folder created by Windows.

Loppylugs. I created 3 equal sized partitions, 1 for Linux, 1 for Windows & 1 for data.

I installed Windows first then Linux, being very careful to do this by the letter !

Windows will ask on bootup which O/S you want. Ignoring that then will boot to your preferred O/S. This choice can be changed quite easily.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Thanks, Catfan. I can't remember exactly what happed now. I think the Linux download which I had saved to a DVD offered to create two partitions, which would have been fine. Windows was already on one big partion. So I told it to go ahead. I guess maybe a better way to go would be to create a new partition using windows before even attempting to load Linux. Then load Linux to partition B. I might try that on my video editing computer, then its only me who gets the grief if something goes sour.

• Upvote 1

Ubuntu and a few other Linux distributions have an option to install alongside Windows if you already have Windows on your PC. You can dual boot any Linux with windows but it can be a faff if you don't know what you're doing. I use Linux exclusively now.