Windows 10 At Last !

Carni, do you click on the picture where it says: "Like what you see?" If you do 'like' them, they are supposed to put similar pictures on for you.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anything which prevents karaoke happening is a good thing.

PHEW, I'll tell you what; I have been all Shook Up AH HAHA and Panicky for the last 19ish hours. Late last night while I was getting settled for my last dose of Nottstalgia for the day, I looked at my

I like all the different pictures it keeps showing me (and asking me if I like them - very polite)

benjamin I lost my 'smileys' when on windows7, they came back when I went to windows 10

That lasted about two weeks and now they have gone again. I give up.

• Upvote 1

Me as well Sue............shame really cos we both smiley people are'nt we.............

• Upvote 1

I lost my smileys when I first went on Windows !0, when it installed on Explorer. I could add them to my post, but it wouldn't let me post my reply. Now I am back on Chrome, I can post with smileys again. Here's a smiley for you both. :biggrin::biggrin: one each.

• Upvote 1

Windows 10 comes bundled with a 'Pictures' application, which I have found very useful. I used to load new shots into Lightroom/Photoshop, but now I just initially go through them in Pictures and give the ones I plan on keeping an auto enhance. It works well, has a decent range of basic editing functions, and handles RAW files with ease.

• Upvote 1

Carni, the picture is interesting but a bit weird (I think). I like the seascapes and pretty landscapes

I'm still on windows 7 as it is only a laptop and get's a lots of use, the master decided to treat us at Christmas to new laptop with windows 10. After using it for 3 months I am now back on windows 7, each time I downloaded photos from my camera I had 2 of everything lost all my e-mails, still not found them, so master has the new laptop windows 10 and I have old laptop windows 7. Now I'm happy as a pig in s----------

• 1 month later...

After listening to all the doomsayers and doubts about whether Photoshop would work I put off upgrading from Windows 8.1 but after getting so frustrated by endless updates that the stupid machine could not complete and before helicoptering the computer off the balcony I thought I'd try upgrading to Windows 10 as a last resort.

The update took about an hour and a half and like they said everything was where I left it and so far no issues. I have disabled all the send everything back to Microsoft features and the other annoying stuff I do not use. All my MS Office 2010 files were still there and as I am extensive user of Excel I made a back up just in case.

Should have done it earlier.

Tbh, it was always worth waiting as had you done it earlier, it's quite possible you wouldn't have had as good an upgrade. I tried it on my i7 HP DV7 (so not exactly old technology) only to find that Windows 10 didn't work properly with my graphics card such that the HDMI output wouldn't work. It was, at that time, a known issue apparently. I only found out when I went to link my laptop to a TV screen for karaoke and got nothing. Sadly, rolling back to Windows 7 didn't go properly either (a common problem) so I had to perform a fresh install.

• 2 months later...

Yes catfan. As it goes, it's quite a good operating system.

But they messed up so badly with Win 8 and Vista, that the mindset is now that if your computer is working OK (after having faffed around for so long to get it that way) then why venture forth into a world of new problems, new software, new peripherals and more invasion of privacy.

Despite giving the thing away, it's still only been taken up by 19% of PC users.

Windows 7 is still the most popular OS.

9.5% are still using XP ! (despite their fervent attempts to cripple it).

I'd use Windows 10 if I felt the need to buy a new computer, but I don't, and until Microsoft come up with something that is genuinely better, I will continue to use what I've got.

i.e. I'll switch it on and get on with some work.

Windows 7 imo was the best, but, far too many unlicensed PCs running that O/S cos it was too easy to rob M$ of their money.

Windows 10 is much harder to rob. That is why in the near future no one will buy a copy of Windows, like M$ Office it will be an annual license fee. Without being online it won't work.

I thought I might give it a trial on the wife's computer. So on July 29 I clicked on the little Win10 icon. It then asked me if I wanted to reserve a copy for download. As of today still waiting. If it ever downloads it will no longer be free I'm sure. I can afford to miss it if that is so. Never been a fan of M$oft.

Re #67

Yes, I'm sure Microsoft are desperate to get people onto the rental scenario - with the operating system 'living in the cloud' and everyone on Direct Debit.

To that I would say one word : Adobe.

They (Adobe) have tried to make out that things are going well since they went over to only renting their software, but they are setting themselves up for a situation where people will question why they have to pay a monthly fee for 'buggy', increasingly unreliable software that doesn't do anything radically different from the version of 10 years ago.

Microsoft always had a monopoly because their latest operating system was the one that came bundled with a PC.

Even now, that's the main way their product is distributed. But they managed to mess it up with some piss poor products and seem to have taken the attitude that it people won't adopt their latest offering then they must be forced!

• Upvote 2

I was very happy with WinXP.

Microsoft withdrew support at about the same time as my PC was getting a bit creaky, I'd suffered briefly from the Win 8 type experience via a phone I got from Tesco. Not only was the Win 8 thing the least 'intuitive' thing ever. (Read 'Incomprehensible'), but their tame service provider (O2 ?) had useless coverage where I live.

Eitherway, it put me off Win 8 or anything like. So I went for a Win 7 install. It's 'OK', but TBH I'd prefer to be back with XP.

They keep trying to 'Mug' me with 10. So far I've given them the slip.

Col