The most beautiful sound in the world

What would you consider to be the most beautiful sound in the world? More or less guaranteed to provoke a subjective reply, it could be a sound of nature, one from family life; or something mechanical. Music does not count (especially when one sees what some people regards as wonderful music!). I will start the ball rolling with a bit of humour.

When one has spent hours/days of frustrating investigation into why the car will not start , it suddenly does and purrs like a sewing machine.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The shipping weather forecast on the car radio. I'll explain..... My hearing was always poor and gradually deteriorated until becoming totally deaf in my early 50's I had a cochlear implant fitted wh

the most beautiful sound, to me, i will never hear again, my mum saying, as an answer to a question, to me, (even at 58 years old), YES MY LAMB, silly old bat always said that to me from about 4 years

Blackbirds singing to each other of a spring evening. The rattle of soft summer rain on the tent roof (yes, seriously!) The crackle of a wood fire. The sound of surf on a beach.

Listening close by to a Boing 747 lifting off, with RR engines fitted of course !

A stranger offering me a seat on the bus (I know I'm bleddy old but) !

A cat resting on my lap & purring loudly, so peaceful.

From years ago, " Ah Mr Catfan, you have a daughter" !

The front door slamming when the Ex left !

• Upvote 2

Air conditioning switching on, on a very very hot humid day?

Sound of a very cold lively beer when the pull ring is pulled.

Kettle whistling ready for making a cup of tea in the morning.

• Upvote 1

One noise when I was working, ding ding ding on the Onsetters bell in pit bottom at the end of the shift...(manriding)!! The most beautiful sound in the world, next stop the showers!!

• Upvote 1

Blackbirds singing to each other of a spring evening.

The rattle of soft summer rain on the tent roof (yes, seriously!)

The crackle of a wood fire.

The sound of surf on a beach.

• Upvote 6

Apologies folks - you know what sort of sound mine will be. Here you go - an AEC Regent with sliding mesh gearbox (the later pre-selector, and synchromesh gearboxes gave a completely different sound). Sorry, I can't seem to paste at the moment, but look up "York Pullman AEC Regent III - JDN668" on youtube and watch/listen.

• Upvote 1

The shipping weather forecast on the car radio. I'll explain..... My hearing was always poor and gradually deteriorated until becoming totally deaf in my early 50's I had a cochlear implant fitted when I was 57. A month after the operation when healed up, the external device and magnet were fitted and switched on. Tests were done and settings adjusted but i could not believe that I was hearing again because it was in a lab type environment. Seemed false. So, driving back from hospital I switched on the car radio for the first time in 10 years. "Ross and Cromarty, Finnistiere.......". I heard those familiar words!!! Beautiful. I cried.

• Upvote 12

Love to hear the birds singing, especially the sky lark, blackbird and robin, could listen to them all day.

The cry of a new born babe.

Next the unmistakable sound of the merlin engine of the Spitfire and even better when accompanied by the Hurricane and Lancaster which is just as well as we will be living within spitting distance of BBMF very soon :)

• Upvote 5

The most beautiful sound to me is the lack of "human" noise, just nature at it's best at some remote water hole or wherever, where the birds are flitting around in pure peace and serenity.

Here in oz just before daybreak the birds all seem to fire up together to welcome the new day, a wonderful sound as the sun comes up.

• Upvote 1

#2 catfan. When the ex left had she give you an ultimatum - her or the cat, and you chose the moggie. lol

• Upvote 2

Sitting outside the tent on a rare balmy evening in the remotest part of the Scottish mountains. A total lack of mechanical noise that can be heard nowhere else in the UK mainland.

• Upvote 2

#16.

No no Chulla, I was a confirmed dog man up until then !

Mrs Catfan taught me the error of my ways & introduced me to cat ownership !

Been skint ever since, blame her !

IVE given houseroom to Dogs in the past,......never really thought they appreciated it though.

I love Dogs loppy',broke my heart when my first one died,had her from when i was 7 till i was 22,buried on mam and dads garden very deep in their new holiday suitcase,Dad wer'nt too pleased,but dint say owt, lol.

• Upvote 3

I've got loads, but the best is the chime whistle on an A4 steam locomotive.

Really it's a privilege to be able to hear at all.

• Upvote 3

When I had me ford pop, giving it that last swing with the starting handel and she fires up, beautiful, (thumb in the right place of course)

I didn't doubt that you loved 'em Ben. I've had to say goodbye to three now. Last one buried here in my backyard in Ga. I still keep his grave tidy and sometimes just stand there and think about what a great heart he had. Better quit here or it will be time for the Violins and kleenex.

• Upvote 5

I'm afraid I have tinnitus quite bad, but some sounds of interest distract away from it,

Bacon frying in the pan. when playing football as a lad, the ball hitting back of the net.

• Upvote 2