On the radio this morning it was announced that the education body of Finland consider the teaching of handwriting in schools to be no longer necessary since all such communication is done electronically these days via 'phones computers etc. A good idea?

Does this idea come from the same sort of people (English speakers) who say we don't need the apostrophe or if you pronounce a word the same (eg Tong & Tongue) you should spell it the same way. WHY?

Maybe the Fins want to stop graffiti???? LOL

I think I say 'tung' not 'tong' - not sure ....... perhaps I say it both ways cos both sound right to me

I copied this some time ago:- "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

Albert Einstein

'All in favour, AYE'

• Upvote 1

But Kev, you'd need a bloody big printer to "write" on walls and bridges....LOL

• Upvote 1

Does this idea come from the same sort of people (English speakers) who say we don't need the apostrophe or if you pronounce a word the same (eg Tong & Tongue) you should spell it the same way. WHY?

Yeah!...WY? :P

Apparently, cursive writing is being fazed out over here. A total waste of time teaching handwriting, apparently, and the time better used to teach programming. A friend saw on TV where they showed a teen a page of cursive writing and he said he couldn't read it, it all looked like scribble to him. How will these youngsters go on when they have to read an ancient handwritten document?

Forget words and hand-writing. Many kids today are not only using keyboards and screens, they also have a new language, text-speak. The one used in text messages which consists of a few letters and numbers, symbols, abbreviations, etc etc.

Scroll down a bit here to the heading SMS dictionaries; that is the future of the english language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language

Not a good idea! Handwriting requires perseverance, skill and co-ordination. These are important skills and qualities. Also we need backup for any electronic system. Communication and recording of data is needed when the power goes off or is unavailable.

There is also a case for retaining cash. I a very interesting discussion with some year 7 pupils in a science lesson. One said that money would disappear and all payment would be by card in the future. A second lad said "If this happens then how will children get their pocket money?" Wise words from an 11 year old lad!

It is easy to discard skills in favour of doing things the easy way but there are dangers.

On a personal note the fact that I have something with my great grandmothers writing on is special to me. Our writing is personal.

• Upvote 3

Without the ability to read and write, civilization will cease to exist! Imagine a major event that kills our grid and all electronic devices, something like a major solar event. Mankind without the ability to read and write will never survive.

We are only at the stage where we are because we passed on those abilities.

It would be like the middle ages where only the Church were allowed to be able to read and write, not even the aristocracy were literate.

I fear for the generation who cannot read hand written text and be able to write.

• Upvote 1

My missus just brought something up, how will they be able to sign their names on papers????

I think I say 'tung' not 'tong' - not sure ....... perhaps I say it both ways cos both sound right to me

So you've lost yer tong them Marg.