Swimming Pools & swimming teachers

Hucknall Baths , Papplewick Lido and Bulwell Lido were our haunts. Papplewick Lido was the coldest.

I went to all those as I grew up in Hucknall.........Papplewick Lido was the best in my opinion, we spent many happy days there in the school holidays, hot days.......went to the Hucknall swimming baths when it rained, as we lived just across the road on Station Terrace, never did manage to learn to swim as a bitch of a girl called Valerie Tomlinson pushed me in the deep end when I was 9 years old, I nearly drowned, put me off learning to swim after that, just went to the Lido's for the sunbathing when I was older......

• Upvote 1

Portland Baths and Highfields Lido was the go when I was a kid. Strange thing is that I never went swimming with the schools that I went to, like some Nottstalgians seem to have done.

Yes, at TB Juniors too. I remember there was a hot drinks machine at Portland in a little alcove. It did hot chocolate, coffee and a couple of different soups. Whichever button you pressed, you got the same thing, but it warmed you up..

#27 Blondie

Learned to swim at Hucknall Baths on weekly sports mornings from junior school.

Never went to Bulwell Lido but regularly went to Papplewick and Calverton lidos and I agree with Annesleyred 1865 Papplewick was always freezing.

I lived in Papplewick for fourteen years or so and only ever ventured to the Lido once and never went near the place again. It had icebergs in it! We had many many more better things to be doing in Papplewick than being flash frozen :wacko:

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Couldn't afford to go to Highfields Lido so we always went swimming in Beeston canal. Jumping off the stone bridge or swimming down to the iron bridge and back. Dive bombing the duckweed and looking out for leeches

• 5 months later...

Did anyone take their kids to be taught to swim by a woman called Maureen ,the lessons were (I think) during school summer holidays.She was a fantastic teacher,she used to hold a broom handle in front of the learner swimmer and they would be swimming trying to catch hold of the broom which Maureen would move forward.My daughter loved it and could swim by the end of the school hols.

Not the kids but myself,decided must learn to swim as i needed to teach my kids,and at 30years old went with few others of same age to Carlton Forum in 1975.The girl who taught us was only small and aged about 20,can't remember her name...........However she was very good and i learnt,well enough to teach my kids and at least rescue them if they were ever in trouble.

Still not a great swimmer but can 'Waft along on my back............and all my kids can swim,thanks to the Girl at Carlton forum...........

benjamin45. #2

I wanted my kids to learn to swim so they could enjoy swimming and learn how to be safe in water,Never learned to swim meself,nearly was drowned at mablethorpe as a kid,so it put me off the idea.I think all kids should be taught.Wonder if it was the same girl at Carlton forum?my kids went in late 70s.

• Upvote 1

It could well have been Cranky............as regards learning to swim,i just never took to it at school,to be honest it scared me,probably because i nearly drowned at Wickstead park............then in later years when i was about 21 nearly drowned again at Boston in a car........so when i thought about my near misses i knew i had to learn for the kids..............I'M still no great shakes at it,......and when i'm on holiday i tell the Hotel staff 'if you see me in the pool please get me out cos i'll probably be drowning'...............lol.

• Upvote 1

Loved learning to swim at Carlton forum when was a kid and getting my swimming badges.think was 100 metres and such like.and my mam sewed them on my swimming costume.

She used to teach us when I went to St Augustines (now the Sacred Heart in Carlton). I always remember as Mrs Townsend....

The building that was northern baths is still there its now a church of some denomination .I remember radford baths we went for our swimming sessions from bentinck school.

Remember Maureen very well, she taught our eldest two kids to swim, at the Forum. The younger one's learned here in oz when we had our first swimming pool, the youngest clung to the steps for almost a week before gaining enough confidence to let go !

All our grandkids swim like fish, as they all have pools too. Not bragging by the way, it's just the Aussie way here, till you learn how much hassle a pool can be, then you buy a house without one :-)).

I also learned to scuba dive at the Carlton forum many years ago.

• Upvote 2