Swimming Pools & swimming teachers

Victoria Oval was the baths our school used in the 1960s. We never had proper swimming instruction, hence I didn't learn to swim until I was much older.

I remember the Lido at Bulwell, got sunstroke there in the big heatwave around 1976? There was also a lido (posh for outdoor swimming pool) near the university. I lived in The Meadows from 1966 until they demolished most of it in 1974, my mum had a shop on Kinglake Street. Have been getting reminiscent about school days and saw this forum on google so have just joined. Hello!!!

• Upvote 2

Learnt to swim at Vic Baths,under the guidance of Miss Bickers,Pierreponts P E / swimming teacher. She frightened the life out of you.! We had swimming galas in the exhibition pool, oval pool for mixed swimming & ladies pool,for the obvious. The "life guards" were really stricked & often blew their whistles for trivial things.(like being in the pool longer than you should be) Devilment really, but happy days!

At TB Juniors we went to Portland Baths on Muskham St. I didn't like swimming and stayed in the shallow end for the first year, doing widths with one leg on the floor, lol. Nobody actually bothered teaching swimming as far as I recall. I got my confidence much later and taught myself.

My brother used to go to Portland baths for swimming lessons, he turned out to be good and represented the county. I only went there a couple of times with my friends as we didn't get swimming lessons at secondary school. Was it near Wilford Grove? Our school Mundella Grammar was near TB school, and the bus depot on Turney Street?

Glad to see Noel street baths get a mention.I went there for school swimming lessons and galas and was a regular on Saturday morning with my mate John Sisson.After swimming we'd walk back home going over Bobber's Mill bridge to watch the trains for a bit.

Radford baths was our school swimming day venue, always having some excuse not to go!! Hence I was 42 before I learnt to swim...............

It became a day out for us at Hucknall baths.Towel and trunks under your arm. 61 bus down there a tanner to get in. After we would try to catch sticklebacks in the nearby River Leen (I think) The Woolworth's for three pence worth of broken biscuits; usually spent our return bus fare on bubble gums etc and walked it back to Annesley. I wrote a whole chapter on this in my Annesley Bulldogs story.

Good times

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My first school took us for swimming lessons at Portland Baths on Muskham Street in the Meadows. It must have been fairly small as you got changed in very small cubicles located close to each side of the pool. Schools never managed to teach me to swim - that was achieved when I was about 11 by Nottingham Swimming Club in the Oval Pool at the Victoria Baths using a brand new training aid - inflatable arm bands!

My brother worked for a time at Radford Baths and yes I remember swimming in the Oval bath too

Hi there

Yes my brothers name was Tony and he may have been with the scouts for a time but I cannot be 100% on that - put it down to old age and poverty!!! Best wishes Peter

Hi Ray

Yes generous to a fault was Tony - he now lives at Bestwood and we meet up now and again when I can get over from Tamworth. Tony also did a spell as a magician and enterttainer worked at the American Adventure with the Sooty show.

I still work 16 hours a week for the Royal Mail - visiting schools, charities, groups helping raise money and giving talks

Best wishes

Peter

• 2 months later...

Surprised nobody's mentioned Northern Baths. We used to go there from High Pavement for lessons, and my dad stoked the boilers and blew the whistle for a couple of years after he was made redundant as a railway engine driver. I've not been back for a few years; are the baths still there?

Hi Ray

Yes generous to a fault was Tony - he now lives at Bestwood and we meet up now and again when I can get over from Tamworth. Tony also did a spell as a magician and enterttainer worked at the American Adventure with the Sooty show.

I still work 16 hours a week for the Royal Mail - visiting schools, charities, groups helping raise money and giving talks

Best wishes

Peter

Last I knew of Tony he lived with your mum at the bungalow in Strelley. We were good friends through the 90's but lost touch.

Thanks, Fynger. If the changing cubicles were all occupied, we had to change in the 'dugout', and risk being assaulted by the big lads with wet towels. I've still got dad's whistle.

• Upvote 1