Is any of the old Medders left?? I lived on Kinglake Street, there was a school opposite my mum's shop which was next door to an old Boots warehouse, it became an industrial cleaning company in the 70's. The old terraces up from the school were knocked down and I believe there was a temporary Co-op there. On the next two streets, Waterway St and Traffic St, were redgate's pop factory and Furse who made lifts. The other side of the school was a park with a bowling green, this led onto St George's church where I got married in 1973. I think Wilford Road used to run across the top and all the way to Castle Boulevard where the labour exchange was.

Trams did you say? :)

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you for the replies!! I lived at No 65 - the lampost on the right of the photo was right outside the shop, I used to read in bed at night by the light of it as my dad was a thrifty Yorkshireman

Is any of the old Medders left?? I lived on Kinglake Street, there was a school opposite my mum's shop which was next door to an old Boots warehouse, it became an industrial cleaning company in the 70

Wow thank you Cliff Ton, are you a librarian? The family lived over the shop, the door on the left was the entrance to the big kitchen where the son used to be peeling potatoes day and night. I'm tr

When did you leave Nottingham? I've got a feeling things might've changed a bit since your last visit. A lot of those places you mentioned have appeared in various threads in Nottstalgia, and you may have already seen some of these. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showforum=10

But so far we haven't had a photo of Kinglake Street, so............

cEUfmRf.jpg

57 Kinglake Street is an address that appear in one of my mum's sister's old school books. I guess she would have been about 5 at the time, so late 1920s. The family seemed to move frequently - about every 6 months. My maternal granddad (who I never knew - he died in 1942) drove a lorry for Buxton & Attewell, and he would mention rented houses about to come vacant. He and grandma would go and have a look, and if they liked the look of the place, they would be all signed up before it was advertised "to let". Granddad would then borrow the firm's lorry to do the flit.

Welcome OrphanAnnie. St Georges Church is still there. When I was small, I used to go in sometimes with my Gran who lived next to it on Clyde St, facing the rec. I also remember the bowling green you mention, it's also in the same place today.

Thank you for the replies!! I lived at No 65 - the lampost on the right of the photo was right outside the shop, I used to read in bed at night by the light of it as my dad was a thrifty Yorkshireman who didn't have unnecessary lights on..... The local kids used to gather around the lamp post in the day.

We moved to Nottingham from Burton on Trent in 1966, when the demolition started in the Medders a lot were moved out to Clifton estate. In 1974 we moved to Hartley Road in Radford just opposite the John Player showrooms where you swapped your No 6 coupons for gifts, like the Green Shield stamps. I moved out to Russell Road early 1977, then to some flats off Carlton Road and finally Argyle St off Alfreton Road until 1984 when I moved to Kirkby but carried on working on Alfreton Road. A bit like your gran StephenFord! My brother thinks I have gypsy blood as I am always moving around.

When I was on Kinglake St a family called Oscroft lived at no 57 I think, with a family called Grinnion next door. The father was a bus driver and one of the sons became a boxer. I worked for a while at the Grove bingo hall on Kirkewhite St - it was an old cinema building and riddled with mice and creepy crawlies. I also worked at the chip shop on the corner of Summer St/Arkwright St four nights a week after school. I used to put all my tips in the jukebox and was paid 4 shillings an hour.

I love this site!!!!! My sister lives in Torquay and I have told her about it so she may be signing up too.

Have a fab day :)

• Upvote 3
On 04/08/2015 at 0:32 PM, OrphanAnnie said:

I also worked at the chip shop on the corner of Summer St/Arkwright St four nights a week after school. I used to put all my tips in the jukebox and was paid 4 shillings an hour.

qN8CDk5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wow thank you Cliff Ton, are you a librarian? The family lived over the shop, the door on the left was the entrance to the big kitchen where the son used to be peeling potatoes day and night. I'm trying to recall their name, the eldest son married the eldest Oscroft girl from Kinglake St and later her younger sister. I was godmother to their daughter - who was christened at St Georges. The chip shop used to be open until really late for those days, no 24 hour shopping then. We used to do huge platters of chips and fritters for darts nights at the pub further down, can't recall the name of it. And sometimes for the Queens Hotel, the white building on the other corner.

In the restaurant the most expensive meal was chicken and chips which cost 4s 11d, including gravy and stuffing and a cup of tea. We used to get really busy at pub closing time.

• Upvote 2

Yes we were open until about 2am at the weekends. Hey, I wonder if I ever served you TBI!! I worked there in 1968/69 while I was sitting my O levels. My dad made me give it up as he wasn't too happy with my results. Can you remember the Indian restaurant a few doors down too, I think it was called the Taj Mahal.

• Upvote 1

I used to go to Sunday School at Bathley St Baptist Church, and I think there was a bus depot halfway down Turney Street. At the top of Turney St was a Boots and a small row of shops with a butchers and newsagent? The bus terminus was a bit further at the Embankment. I remember going in the pub at the side of the river and there were lots of old street signs from the Meadows on the walls. Think that would have been the mid 80s.

I think Kinglake Street became Kinglake Place? I see Traffic St is still on the map. What happened to the Bridgeway Mission which was at the junction of Kirkewhite and Arkwright?

Hasn't the bus depot always been where it is now on Bunbury Street? Or does my Medders knowledge not go back far enough.

Perhaps it was Bunbury Street,did that cross Turney Street? There was a chip shop on the corner where we used to go on Friday lunchtimes.

The circle of life eh, trams then buses and now back to trams?

omg the chip shop is still there!! And the property on the opposite corner - can't make out whether it says 59 or 39 - was briefly owned by my mum as a second shop, maybe she was trying to start an empire. I ran it for a few months as penance for dropping out of school in the middle of A levels.

I'm sure i read somewhere that the site of the bus station was where Forest or county first played,Forest i think ?

I'm sure i read somewhere that the site of the bus station was where Forest or county first played,Forest i think ?

Yes benjamin, Forest played in the 1890's at the Town Ground, which was only yards away from where the 'bus sheds' were built early 20th century.

No Bubblewrap we called them ' bus sheds ' down our way, we lived right next to them on the same street. From my bedroom window, I could see into them, the fitters working on the buses. :)

I know what you mean though. I think they were Tram sheds when they were first built around 1903. In fact, I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere of the tramlines coming down Turney ST.