• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you for the replies!! I lived at No 65 - the lampost on the right of the photo was right outside the shop, I used to read in bed at night by the light of it as my dad was a thrifty Yorkshireman

Is any of the old Medders left?? I lived on Kinglake Street, there was a school opposite my mum's shop which was next door to an old Boots warehouse, it became an industrial cleaning company in the 70

Wow thank you Cliff Ton, are you a librarian? The family lived over the shop, the door on the left was the entrance to the big kitchen where the son used to be peeling potatoes day and night. I'm tr

My brother Greg Thomas went to Roland Green but he was 10 years younger. He used to play with a boy on the street who was run over and killed when he was about 8 or 9.

I was at Mundella from 1966 to 1970 when Mr Moody was headmaster, Mick Grinnion was same age as me. He had a couple of brothers, I'm sgtruggling with the names but can picture them all so clearly. His dad was a bus driver on the 43 route via Arkwright St and always used to let me off with the fare. I remember the Oscrofts and Whileys at 57 and 55.

Is any of the old Medders left?? I lived on Kinglake Street, there was a school opposite my mum's shop which was next door to an old Boots warehouse, it became an industrial cleaning company in the 70's. The old terraces up from the school were knocked down and I believe there was a temporary Co-op there. On the next two streets, Waterway St and Traffic St, were redgate's pop factory and Furse who made lifts. The other side of the school was a park with a bowling green, this led onto St George's church where I got married in 1973. I think Wilford Road used to run across the top and all the way to Castle Boulevard where the labour exchange was.

Trams did you say? :)

I used to work at FMS in the early 70's, run by my husband's cousin John Mabbott, it was the old Boots Warehouse.....It was on the corner of Queen's Drive and Kingslake Street, they moved onto Traffic Street later on......I can remember Furse Lifts and the school across the road, Redgate's and the corner shop, there was a petrol station at the top of Queen's Drive which sold 4 gallons of petrol for an old pound, checked your tyres and oil as well, it later became MFI, I can remember the old streets being pulled down - brings back memories for me..............

I remember Mr Mabbott - the lads from FMS used to come into my mum's shop next door for bacon sandwiches. We also worked for him a couple of times on 'initial cleans' - I remember going to clean a nightclub where we worked through the night, got paid about £3. The accountant's father ran Great Clowes (?) on Castle Boulevard, which used to close on a Saturday as they were Jewish. I helped out there for a few weeks as a cashier. Think I've had as many jobs as places to live! Although mostly i've had two or three jobs on the go at the same time.

My uncle was a driver for Redgate's for years, and my sister worked there for half a morning. She walked out at the first break.

Do you remember the off licence at the other end of the street, run by a Mrs Andrews who used to refuse to serve blacks? No racial discrimination act in those days.

• Upvote 1

I can remember the Medders well back in the 50's as my aunty Grace lived over the top of Jesse Robinson's fish shop on the corner of St Saviours Street/Arkwright Street, my uncle Geoff worked for Jesse Robinson's with his father and brothers on Sneinton Market, that's how they got the flat, we used to sit on the shops flat roof which extended outwards and watch the trolley buses and the busy traffice going past, it was opposite Kirkby Street...........I used to walk round the streets with my cousins......They were eventually rehoused at Clifton.......My cousin now lives on Bathley Street in a lovelly little house opposite a green.......I worked for a while at FMS on Queens Drive for my hubby's cousin........It was a very busy shopping area and most of the people down there as I remember, were lovelly and friendly..........Happy memories.... :biggrin:

I remember the bacon sarnies from your shop, they were delicious - FMS had a tannoy (used for finding people) - The people at the shop complained that it was too loud, that was my voice.......

We sometimes went cleaning at the weekends for £3 to get extra cash.......I was the telephonist/Receptionist, maybe I saw you, I do not remember Mr Andrews, but I heard about them............

I think Clifton was purpose built for those moving out of the Medders. I remember the chip shop, and Jesse Robinson's at Sneinton Market. I went there once on the warehouse run. At Sneinton Market I used to buy socks, but think it was best known for pots.

I used to go to Sunday School on Bathley Street, is the church still there? There was also a shop opposite the school where we used to buy a glass of pop for 6d, and a piece of loose cheese. Very healthy lunch!!

• Upvote 1

Blondie I remember the tannoy, I think sometimes the lads were in the shop when you were chasing them... Mr Mabbott used to buy Easter Eggs from my mum for the girls in the office, also boxes of chocolates at Christmas.

The bacon sarnies only started after one of the lads smelled bacon cooking one day and mum offered to make him one, and it took off from there.

Even thpugh my mum had the shop for years it was usually referred to as 'Millers' who were the previous owners.

My mum was very well known, she once helped one of the neighbours to get medicine down her little boy by mixing it into milk flavoured syrup and freezing it into 'suckers' so he would take it that way. She was always coming up with ideas like that. She moved back to the medders to new maisonettes down near the Pork Farms factory I think. She died in 1987, sadly struck by Alzeimhers.

Is FMS still going?

• 3 weeks later...

I used to go to Sunday School on Bathley Street, is the church still there? There was also a shop opposite the school where we used to buy a glass of pop for 6d, and a piece of loose cheese. Very healthy lunch!!

If you mean the old church on the corner of Bathley and Collygate, yes it is. The area is very similar now to it would have been back then with the odd new building in place. I rarely pass by the area but I have really fond memories of this place from the early 80's as did my old man and grandparents of the decades before that.

• Upvote 1

Yes, that's the one Cliff. There are two originals on PTP.....

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/old/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM009256&prevUrl=

and the second version....

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM010975&prevUrl=

Have to say, I suspect the first picture is an error, the surrounding houses are different.

Across the road from St Faith's in the Google picture is the shop at the corner of Bathley Street and Mundella Road where my dad and his parents lived in the 1920s. It was a sweet shop in those days, and known as 144 Bathley Street, although it appears to be listed as 81 Mundella Road now. My grandparents were married at St Faith's on 8 April 1913. My grandmother's address on the marriage certificate was shown as 37 Beauvale Road.

• Upvote 2

Our school was next door to St Faiths, they had a weekly disco in the hall called 'Santa Fe'. We went to the church for our annual Christmas Carol service. Not very angelic either - once we had a competition to see who could eat the most toothpaste during the service.....

The mission was where I went to Sunday School, a minibus used to pick us all up from the corner of Kinglake St.

Yes Joseph was the boxer, Michael was his elder brother. I think Michael would have been about my age.

Thanks TBI, I remember the library well - we used to climb through the window to avoid the prefects on sentry at the gate to dish out detentions to late arrivals. Of course we had to have inside help to look out for stray teachers.

I'll have a look for that thread :)

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I used to live on the corner of Kinglake and Wilford rd, I remember it well, my dad used to work for ‘Charlie’ (who owned the pushable hotdog stalls), there was a co op made up from portable cabins along side the school on Kinglake with a derelict piece of land the other side. I remembered the Grinions, both my elder brothers used to go to school with them. There was also a yearly fair,fete on the playing fields next to the school in which we had a stand and also took part in the fancy dress competitions held during the fair,fete :)