Hi Blogsy

Dont forget to credit Nottstalgia too as a source of information from members?

:rolleyes:

Already have Mick, when first started writing book few years back (was on hold for various reasons) you told me about seeing Geno Washington there, so put that in and website url, great forum !cheers!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the pub!

Nah Heart of the Midlands is now Rock City Sherwood rooms changed to the Astoria then MGM and now called Ocean not to be confused with the old Palais / Ritzy now Oceana

Oh I say! not on to describe the fair maidens thus,

Posted Images

Already have Mick, when first started writing book few years back (was on hold for various reasons) you told me about seeing Geno Washington there, so put that in and website url, great forum !cheers!

Oh just checked text, it was Edwin Starr singing SOS, many thanks thumbsup

• 7 months later...

The first Rock bar I went into in Notts was Morts. It was a Saturday lunchtime. A guy called Parf, with a big blonde tash was the DJ. This would be about 1982/83 as I was about 17 at the time.

Morts on a Saturday dinner was legendary,.Faith healer by Alex Harvey was a staple and I still get transported back to the place every time I hear that track.

We used to appear bleary eyed and blinking into the sunlight before heading down to the Market Square to drink a bottle of Aussie wine,.....and wonder if the Mods would come up from their haunt at Broad marsh Bus station !!

I frequented most, if not all of the Rock clubs that sprang up from 1982 through til about 1992 when I left Nottingham. I DJ'd in a few and played in most with various bands.

The Yorker,. when Jon was the DJ was always one of my early faves. Mobile disco unit (which I think he used to call Pandemonium Disco,...something beginning with P anyway) that you could get your earholes right next to. I remember it being the time of Def Leppards pyromania album,.. A classic.

Metal Mickey was usually playing somewhere most other nights,. Saw Mickey at The Cavalier,The Cavendish, The Mardi Gras, and of course ath The Palais.

• 10 months later...

I recall the BBC Radio Nottingham in a morning on the way to school and work giving the gig guide. Dawn Trader must have been one of the hardest working.

I remember the Impo. The back room seemed to be another world.

Hearty Goodfellow was pretty grotty but the upstairs bands were usually pretty good. The punx in the basement not so good.

Back in the mid to late sixties The Hearty Goodfellow was a Mod hang out, downstairs was called "The Dive Bar". They were always scrapping in there, mind they were always scrapping in a lot of other places, usualy never much more than a smack in the mouth, unlike todays culture.

• 1 month later...

My then husband was a bouncer at The Imperial in the 70s . My memories of the place are good music , scrumpy cider and the place being full of smoke as most people smoked n those days . I remember one night a gang of youths walking down St James street in their bowler hats and swinging umbrellas looking for trouble . Every one parted and let them pass except for my sister who picked on one and challenged him. I can still see him cowering in a shop doorway with his hands protecting his head as she bashed him with her handbag haha .memories :)

• 9 months later...

I used to go to all the rock clubs/ discos. I went to the Imperial every Wednesday for several years. The DJ was a blond guy, Pete I think was his name. Used to see him at Forest matches occasionally.

Metal Micky used to do the boat club. I remember seeing bands like Def Leppard, Motörhead & Saxon there.

The Yorker was another venue. I think Pete from the Imperial DJ'd their as well.

Also used to go to the Palais.

My main memory from rock discos was the women. They were mostly stunning, well endowed & a great deal hornier than non-rock women.

Happy times.

Co incidentally IF anyone remembers SOVEREIGN Rock Band from the early 1970's when they played among other places The Imperial, Tiffanys, Mardi Gras Newark Palace as well a regular gigs at other local rock pubs they are having a 30 years Reunion Gig at Arnold Labour Club on Front St Arnold this Saturday April 27th admission £3 with support band starting off at around 7.30pm . This will be LOUD and heavy! so if coming be warned, lol

• 1 month later...

The first Rock bar I went into in Notts was Morts. It was a Saturday lunchtime. A guy called Parf, with a big blonde tash was the DJ. This would be about 1982/83 as I was about 17 at the time.

Morts on a Saturday dinner was legendary,.Faith healer by Alex Harvey was a staple and I still get transported back to the place every time I hear that track.

We used to appear bleary eyed and blinking into the sunlight before heading down to the Market Square to drink a bottle of Aussie wine,.....and wonder if the Mods would come up from their haunt at Broad marsh Bus station !!

I frequented most, if not all of the Rock clubs that sprang up from 1982 through til about 1992 when I left Nottingham. I DJ'd in a few and played in most with various bands.

The Yorker,. when Jon was the DJ was always one of my early faves. Mobile disco unit (which I think he used to call Pandemonium Disco,...something beginning with P anyway) that you could get your earholes right next to. I remember it being the time of Def Leppards pyromania album,.. A classic.

Metal Mickey was usually playing somewhere most other nights,. Saw Mickey at The Cavalier,The Cavendish, The Mardi Gras, and of course ath The Palais.

Hey Wandering Wiliy, just found this, i used to do the very same on saturday dinner at morts around 1983, i remember the mods at the bus station, there was a DJ called Dave Marshall, in fact used to go to morts pretty much every fri and sat for a couple of years back then, i remember seeing the thriller vid for the first time while leaning on the bar, good times

Les Purdy and.......................( Damn , I knew it when I started typing)

Les used to have the (Long gone) Newsagents on Carlton Hill / Carlton Square, his Mum had the off licence opposite St Pauls School, (Last I remember it was an "Out Board /Marine shop.")

Les Purdy and.......................( Damn , I knew it when I started typing)

Les used to have the (Long gone) Newsagents on Carlton Hill / Carlton Square, his Mum had the off licence opposite St Pauls School, (Last I remember it was an "Out Board /Marine shop.")

Thanks Beefsteak, his partner at the Malt Cross had a brother who also ran a wine bar near Morts, and another one nearer town, would love to be able to track him down, i remember

Les was a top bloke, we used to go their and watch Brendon Kadolis play on that balcony/stage thing every week

• 1 year later...

Leslie William Purdy and Stephen John Klim were co-owners of the Malt Cross, Les has been living in Mallorca for the last 15 odd years and Steve is a very successful property developer.

They both fell out big time when (allegedly) Les ran off to Spain after the revocation of their licence, with all the cash from the joint account!!

• Upvote 1

Michael philip Klim, he is also a property developer, Steve and Michael passed the City Bar onto steves son Jamie but it has now been sold, they are no longer in the bar business, the first wine bar Les and Steve owned was Samuel Pepys near the Royal Hotel (Morts), this was compulsary purchased by the council, they then opened The City Bar, Les then sold his share to Micael, and Steve and Les opened the Old Malt Cross until it's closure in the mid 80s, it was said that the Jackson's at the Bell Inn had a lot to do with closing it down (fraternal friends!)

• 3 weeks later...

I was a member of the 'Boat Club' on the south bank from 1979-82. Remember seeing Def Leppard supporting Blackfoot there in 1980, and the hoo-har that ensued when it was revealed that the Leppard drummer Rik Allen was only 15 years old. My last visit as a member was to see Robert Plant (shortly after Led Zeppelin disbanded) with his then band The Honeydrippers. If I recall correctly, the resident DJ was a chap known as 'Metal Mickey' - who also had a rock residency at a pub on Beckhampton Road in Bestwood estate (the name of the pub escapes me), and also he spun his decks at the Old Grey Goose in Gedling. Great times!

• Upvote 1