• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the pub!

Nah Heart of the Midlands is now Rock City Sherwood rooms changed to the Astoria then MGM and now called Ocean not to be confused with the old Palais / Ritzy now Oceana

Oh I say! not on to describe the fair maidens thus,

Posted Images

I can't remember the names of the many clubs I tried out while I was there. I spent my summers in Nottm. in the 80's, and the only ones I can remember are The Ritzy, and one that was called Hollywood and Vine. (Not the Hollywood and Vine you're probably thinking of Mick!!) I wonder if anyone in that club knew that it was named after an intersection in L.A.?? Probably not!!

I remember the Boat club but didn't go ,I always thought it was for older rockers[maybe you are older than me Rob?] my favourite haunt was The Palais & The Bali Hai with the revolving dance floor,& I think I went to the Sherwood rooms once or twice but i'm a bit vague about that,must have been the Lager & blacks I had consumed, eeurgh! how the hell we drank that I will never know.

the cheek of it lol, think i was 16 when i started going to these places. also used to go sandpipers in the lacemarket, saw the sex pistols there also dire straits at venue 55 on maid marion way and the police at rushcliffe leisure centre, sad arnt i?

my favourite haunt was The Palais & The Bali Hai with the revolving dance floor,& I think I went to the Sherwood rooms once or twice but i'm a bit vague about that

My mom told me about the place with the revolving dance floor, I think she said it was the Astoria Ballroom, then it changed to something else? The Palais and The Sherwood Room sound familiar.

it was the palais de dance that had the revolving dance floor, quite funny really when you got on at one side of the room and got off at the other, it used to go round quite slow.

Did the Palais used to be the Astoria Ballroom then? My mom said she used to go there in the 50's.

Did you happen to frequent the Astoria Ballroom Flat Cap? My mom used to go there every weekend, her name was Hazel Tunnecliff.

asked some questions and was told that the astoria ballroom was the old heart of the midlands later renamed barry nobles astoria behind broadmarsh shopping centre

asked some questions and was told that the astoria ballroom was the old heart of the midlands later renamed barry nobles astoria behind broadmarsh shopping centre

Nah Heart of the Midlands is now Rock City

Sherwood rooms changed to the Astoria then MGM and now called Ocean not to be confused with the old Palais / Ritzy now Oceana

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey sis I remember the state you used to come home in after your pub crawls,shall I tell them about the Jaffa cakes or the mushy peas?come on what's it worth?? loveyou

Smithylass returns Posted: Jul 16 2006, 10:52 AM  

oh memories....my haunts were Rock City..The Garage....scamps....then later madisons...also i think it was Annabellas we would go to mortimers cavern....and then just out of there into Annabellas...

Flippin ek Smithylass sounds you've been around somewhat. my mum told me to stay away from those type of places when I was young and inocent nothing but load music and loose women was she right?

and hot dog salesmen.... :tease:

Look Caz are you doing this on purpose? what with the boatsheds and now Jaffa Cakes it's just a little to much for me to take in all in one day......

• 5 months later...
oh memories....my haunts were Rock City..The Garage....scamps....then later madisons...also i think it was Annabellas we would go to mortimers cavern....and then just out of there into Annabellas...

Ive dj'd at most, if not all of these, Actually Mods, could i ask that the "quote" bit comes up in the reply at the top? it saves scrolling up and down the page looking for relevant info from the quote? (yes im a lazy sod!) So, 11 years at Rock City in the 70's part of Love Shack, Madison is where i met my wife, she was a PR there , and had come into Trent to ask for someone to judge a beauty contest, i used to do a guest appearance there every Thursday night, Scamps became one of Zaks clubs too didnt it? and Mortimers and Annabellas ( you sure you dont mean Isabellas? i might be wrong.....) i worked them too at various times, and in fact later too, when they became Club RKO nd Envy etc.

• 5 months later...

Anabelles was at the top of Victoria street next to the Malt house ,Isabellas was at the top of (THIS IS A GUESS) Masonic place on Glasshouse street

;)

• 2 weeks later...
Anabelles was at the top of Victoria street next to the Malt house ,Isabellas was at the top of (THIS IS A GUESS) Masonic place on Glasshouse street

;)

Your right too Beefy, Dunno how Smthylass could get them the wrong way round!

• 3 months later...

That place was then called The Sherwood Rooms. Used to have a few gigs on in those days. Rod Stewart and the Faces appeared there!

Anybody remember the bands that would appear at The Imperial in the seventies? There was a distinct lack of venues in those days if my memory serves me, large or small. I was a regular at the Imperial on a Thursday night to see Gaffa who I was into at the time. Wayne Evans and his frog bass! Other names include Harry Stephenson, The Perfects (?) Cisco etc.

I went to The Hearty Goodlfellow a time or two but I never thought it was very suitable as a venue due to the shape of the bar.

What about the Sandpiper, anyone remember that?