• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the pub!

Nah Heart of the Midlands is now Rock City Sherwood rooms changed to the Astoria then MGM and now called Ocean not to be confused with the old Palais / Ritzy now Oceana

Oh I say! not on to describe the fair maidens thus,

Posted Images

Anybody remember the bands that would appear at The Imperial in the seventies? There was a distinct lack of venues in those days if my memory serves me, large or small. I was a regular at the Imperial on a Thursday night to see Gaffa who I was into at the time. Wayne Evans and his frog bass! Other names include Harry Stephenson, The Perfects (?) Cisco etc.

I went to The Hearty Goodlfellow a time or two but I never thought it was very suitable as a venue due to the shape of the bar.

What about the Sandpiper, anyone remember that?

I used to go in there quite regular when courtin' (late 60's).

Saw many a good band in the back room and my step brother played there a few times as the drummer in The Maze.

We also used to go to The Grand on Alfreton Road where bands used to play in the First Floor room on a Saturday night. Watneys Red Barrel on tap :yahoo:

Hello Stu

Some of these bands sound familiar to me Stu, as does the Sandpiper which I am sure I visited? Remind me where it was?

Wait are the mists clearing?

Was it in the lacemarket? Broadway, down an alley on the left going up from

the city? I remember something there late 60's, early 70's, with an Egyption theme.

Later in the 80's, in the same building, upstairs was 'Jimmy's', A snooker/pool

nightclub, run by Snooker Player Jimmy Singh. (I believe Jimmy despite being

quite a good player, was 'blackballed' by the Snooker fraternity of the time)

After this closed, it became 'Fat Wallets'

Hi Den, yes, Cisco were an eight piece I think with a brass section. It was pretty much a crush getting them all on the stage at The Imperial as I remember. I do occasionally hear of them reforming for a reunion gig or two.

Hi Mick. Yes definitely the Lacemarket, where exactly I can't remember (no surprise there) I remember it as a punk venue in the alte seventies with a few 'names' on there like Generation X etc.

That Egytian theme you mention is nothing to do with that Egyptian restaurant that opened in Hockley is it?

Daw Trader, I remember.

This egyptian thing is bugging me now, it was definately at that arched entrance on Broadway.

And what ever happened to Jimmy Singh?

Hi Mick, there was a club on Broadway in the early seventies called Pharoes.

Egyptian theme, spinxs and underfloor lighting. If you walked up Broadway from the Bowling alley it was down an alley on the left hand side.

Daw Trader, I remember.

This egyptian thing is bugging me now, it was definately at that arched entrance on Broadway.

And what ever happened to Jimmy Singh?

It was run by his uncle who used to sponge all his snooker earnings .The snooker player was David 'Cyclone' Singh

The 90's were not a good time for Dave Singh?

Embassy World Rankings

The World Professional Billiards & Snooker Association (WPBSA) produce a new list of world rankings at the end of each season, which is operational for the whole of the following season. Rankings are assessed on a two year span of tournaments. Here is the full 1998/99 list.

Rank Rank Points Points Points

98/99 97/98 Player Nat. 97/98 96/97 Total

-----------------------------------------------------------

1 2 John Higgins SCO 27835 19587 47422

2 1 Stephen Hendry MBE SCO 16790 30457 47247

3 7 Ronnie O'Sullivan ENG 21105 18302 39407

4 3 Ken Doherty IRE 15095 21072 36167

5 4 Mark J Williams WAL 11335 21420 32755

6 6 John Parrott MBE ENG 15335 16422 31757

7 5 Peter Ebdon ENG 10340 15086 25426

8 10 Alan McManus SCO 10755 13639 24394

9 16 Stephen Lee ENG 12880 11384 24264

10 11 Tony Drago MLT 9305 14504 23809

11 14 Anthony Hamilton ENG 10760 11764 22524

12 9 Alain Robidoux CAN 5790 16597 22387

13 8 Nigel Bond ENG 8150 14106 22256

14 13 Steve Davis MBE ENG 9175 13077 22252

15 12 James Wattana THA 8365 13177 21542

16 20 Mark King ENG 10950 10520 21470

17 17 Gary Wilkinson ENG 8460 10624 19084

18 21 Jimmy White ENG 10811 8185 18996

19 18 Dave Harold ENG 8562 9848 18410

20 23 Fergal O'Brien IRE 9095 9057 18152

283 291 Karl Townsend 0 1465 1465

284 281 David Singh 0 1454 1454

285 273 Stephen Popplewell 0 1450 1450

405 463 John Leahy 0 100 100

406 465 Khaled Aboulmagd 0 57 57

• 2 weeks later...

About The Last Pedestrians

THE ORIGINS OF THE LAST PEDESTRIANS LIE IN MID 70 S NOTTINGHAM GROUPS PLUMMET AIRLINES AND GAFFA + THE LATTER PLAYING INNOVATIVE POP JAZZ AND THE FORMER (SIGNED TO STIFF RECORDS) PLAYING TWISTED PUB ROCK + IN THE EARLY 80 S AN AMALGAM OF BOTH GROUPS THE ATOMS MUTATED THROUGH VARIOUS PROJECTS LEFTWING REDNECKS FLORIDA SNOWSHIFTERS INTO THE 90 S STAR GARAGE THE CRABS LOOSE CANNONS + ORIGINAL CORE MEMBERS ARE CLIVE SMITH (GUITAR) WAYNE EVANS (VOCAL BASS) HARRY STEPHENSON (VOCAL GUITAR) WITH PHIL JACKSON (VOCAL MANDOLIN HARMONICA) AND CHRIS GREEN (DRUMS) + THE LAST PEDESTRIANS BASIC LINE UP IS OFTEN AUGMENTED BY THE GREAT BEANOVSKY (KEYBOARDS) AND SOMETIMES PAUL TRICKSTER (TROMBONE) AND NIK TRICKSTER(VIOLIN TRIANGLE) + THE SONGS ARE SELF WRITTEN AND EXPLORE VARIOUS MUSICAL TERRITORIES. AS ED PUTS IT “BEEFHEART MEETS TOM WAITS IN DUB JAMMING WITH THE GRATEFUL DEAD” +

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=170187307

• 2 months later...
Anabelles was at the top of Victoria street next to the Malt house ,Isabellas was at the top of (THIS IS A GUESS) Masonic place on Glasshouse street

;)

Isabellas was over Mortimers Cavern pub, in an cul-de-sac next to the masonic hall on the west side of Goldsmith (not Glasshouse) Street, just above the junction with Talbot Street.

I used to drink and play pool in Morts, and had my leaving bash in Isabellas when I left Nottingham in Feb 1978!

Isabellas was over Mortimers Cavern pub, in an cul-de-sac next to the masonic hall on the west side of Goldsmith (not Glasshouse) Street, just above the junction with Talbot Street.

I used to drink and play pool in Morts, and had my leaving bash in Isabellas when I left Nottingham in Feb 1978!

Yep, I used to spend some time in Morts around '78 too. In fact studying straight across Goldsmith Street at Trent Poly it wasn't unknown for one or two of us to nip over there on our tea break during lessons! The Hnad Inn down the road too.

Isabella's was what is called The Rescue Rooms now over Morts as you say. That cul-de-sac might even be called Masonic Place.

Happy days!

Sorry I got the road name wrong (Get this, I used to run a pub on there myself and still got the road name wrong)

Yep, I used to spend some time in Morts around '78 too. In fact studying straight across Goldsmith Street at Trent Poly it wasn't unknown for one or two of us to nip over there on our tea break during lessons! The Hnad Inn down the road too.

Isabella's was what is called The Rescue Rooms now over Morts as you say. That cul-de-sac might even be called Masonic Place.

Happy days!

Sounds like you and I were at a lot of places at the same time Stu. Happy days indeed! Bet I beat you at pool ;-)

• 8 months later...
Harry Stevenson still plays around Nottingham as - the loose canons - the last pedestrians - harry and the crabs - with some former members of Gaffa .

Anyone remember Dawn Trader ?

I do! And their "splinter band", Fire Brigade. Cost me a round of drinks in the horse and jockey, Basford, one night; I bet them they couldn't do Billy Joel's a-capella number, "The Longest Time".

Worth the beer though.

Dawn Trader were a good band, pity they didn't get the break they deserved.

In those days I was the occasional roadie for a band from Eastwood whose name now escapes me. :blush: Martin the drummer was my neighbour, then there was "Dave the Bass", "Dave the Singer" and another guy who played a very ordinary rhythm guitar but had a fantastically quick wit, and a fund of one-liners.

Me too and not forgetting the Spread Eagle

Spread Eagle,,, mmmmmmmm food again,,,,

my mum & dad went there regularly, both for the great Worthington 'E' I think, and also the "Cheese Specials".

This was a bit like a Ploughmans,,,, basically a chunk of cheese, half a spanish onion, ang chunk of french bread & a couple of bits. Sounds basic & boring,,, but boy was it good.

• 6 months later...

Funny really - I met up with Mick Preston recently having tracked him down through Facebook and we had a bit of a natter about the old days, even though I was only a lad back then . . . Dawn Trader were my favourite band in the world . . ever . . EVER.

Anyhow, having had a good few pints we decided to meet up again and this time he brought Wayne (the guitarist) followed by another meet (p1$$) up a week later with Ric (Evans - bass) in tow as well . .

Its a crime they never made it, they were truly Nottingham's finest back in the day . . as it happens a few recordings survived (including some video of them at the Hearty Goodfellow, The Gregory and the Market Square under the tri-sail (remember THAT ?) )

Damn good blokes to a man and responsible for some of my teenage years' happiest memories (but not the one featuring Jackie Souter . . !!)