• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the pub!

Nah Heart of the Midlands is now Rock City Sherwood rooms changed to the Astoria then MGM and now called Ocean not to be confused with the old Palais / Ritzy now Oceana

Oh I say! not on to describe the fair maidens thus,

Posted Images

I went to all the 'IN' places in the 60's and early 70's just after I married, can remember the Boat Clubs very well, The Grey Goose at Gedling and many, many, more, saw all the latest bands and knew a lot of the members personally back then.........'Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end'.........Everything to me, seemed to change overnight in the mid 70's or maybe that is when I started to grow up............Going out after that was not the same..........

• 1 month later...

When I first sneaked into pubs,'75-'76.The Salutation was a great watering hole if you liked rock and funked of patchouli oil. The trip for the cider and bikes.Goth pubs( 2nd wave) rock pubs were Spread Eagle and Dragon on Chapel Bar.The Grosvenor too had a rock following.. I remember staggering up to my mates house on Albany rd.( gold&dunne) around the corner.The Boat Club was a place I loved and saw so many great bands there.

• 1 year later...

Hi there 

I've just come across this awsome website as I Googled 'where to go in Nottm for the best 70's/80's Rock gigs' I'm an expat but my hometown will always be Nottingham UK I'm coming over in July this year so was wondering if there was any hangouts I can go to chill out & reminisce all those gud old rock tunes

• 5 months later...

Many memories, boat club, exchange , morts,, yorker ,sal ,sandpiers suzie and the banchees ,toya lol , warrows (for the lumpy scrumpy ) navagation, rock city,  spread eagle ,hearty good fellow, newshouse, badega , old angel to name a few wasnt keen on the royal children though. Sitting in the square waiting for the exchange to open and the goose fair rally. Best times

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/13/2007 at 11:47 AM, Craig Strongman said:

Ive dj'd at most, if not all of these, Actually Mods, could i ask that the "quote" bit comes up in the reply at the top? it saves scrolling up and down the page looking for relevant info from the quote? (yes im a lazy sod!) So, 11 years at Rock City in the 70's part of Love Shack, Madison is where i met my wife, she was a PR there , and had come into Trent to ask for someone to judge a beauty contest, i used to do a guest appearance there every Thursday night, Scamps became one of Zaks clubs too didnt it? and Mortimers and Annabellas ( you sure you dont mean Isabellas? i might be wrong.....) i worked them too at various times, and in fact later too, when they became Club RKO nd Envy etc.

:mellow: Love shack was in disco 2  at Rock City started roughly 1996..Nottingham Legend Rob Smith as DJ..

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 4/18/2006 at 7:23 PM, mr rob t said:

the cheek of it lol, think i was 16 when i started going to these places. also used to go sandpipers in the lacemarket, saw the sex pistols there also dire straits at venue 55 on maid marion way and the police at rushcliffe leisure centre, sad arnt i?

Teaches me I should trawl more! Heard the Dire Straits story myself, think it was called venue 53, maid marion way. 

I recall seeing Saxon at the Rushcliffe Leisure Centre, after they had played the boat club! 

Edit..not trawling hard enough..last person to post was me!  

:blink:

• 1 month later...

I used to be a regular at the Rock Disco at the back of the Imperial. Saw a few bands there too including Gaffer, or was it Gaffa? and Desperate Dan. We also used to see live bands at the Hearty Goodfellow including a band called the Medium Wave Band who had a girl singer.

Later on there used to be a rock disco at the Old Volunteer in Carlton, and we also used to go to Rock night at the Grey Goose, which is where I met my wife, 35 years ago.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TrevA said:

I used to be a regular at the Rock Disco at the back of the Imperial. Saw a few bands there too including Gaffer, or was it Gaffa?

Gaffa (that spelling) have made occasional one-off appearances in recent years. Some of it's on Youtube.

15 hours ago, TrevA said:

a band called the Medium Wave Band who had a girl singer.

I've not come across them, but there was a band named Medium Medium, who became belatedly famous in the US market in the early 2000s. Could it be the same outfit ?

• 1 year later...