You Don't See This Much Nowadays !

Walking through a country park with Mrs Catfan yesterday an elderly gent walked towards us, as he drew near he said good morning & then "doffed" his hat to Mrs Catfan !

How nice was that I thought, sadly a tradition that is dieing out.

I can't remember the last time I wandered through Bulwell & someone "doffed their hat.

Except benjamin1945 of course, a true tie wearing Bulwell gent !

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always shook hands with people I meet. When I meet male members of my family we shake hands and kiss on the cheek. It's a sign of love and respect. The ladies get a hug and a kiss. It's how we've

Walking through a country park with Mrs Catfan yesterday an elderly gent walked towards us, as he drew near he said good morning & then "doffed" his hat to Mrs Catfan ! How nice was that I though

Not so much don't see it much anymore as never seen it. After finding a car park in Ely yesterday we looked for somewhere to pay and found this notice. ' Parking here is free. Enjoy your day and tell

They'd probably have a balaclava on in Bulwell, and mug you.

I love watching re runs of Last of the Summer Wine. Cleggy, Truly, Foggy and many of the main characters doffed their caps.

I remember my Nans funeral at Sutton in Ashfield in the early 60's. As the cortège passed some road works, all the men stopped and removed their caps. You'd never see that today.

• Upvote 4

Re the hat business, I think it's because prior to the 1950s, and going right back to Victorian times, more men wore hats out of doors than didn't. I'd date it to the 1950s when hat-wearing went out of fashion, and consequently what you might call hat etiquette was lost.

• Upvote 2

Hand signals....

Dropping a severely disabled pal off on a rather busy street.... I indicated and lowered the window giving the hand signal for 'I'm pulling over please pass' well in advance.

The young woman in her Chelsea tractor behind me pulled up to my bumper and ten seconds later after her tiny brain had realised that I had parked, proceeded to see if her horn worked.

I could see her contorted face in my mirror going through her vocabulary of cusses.

I still polish my best shoes with the traditional "Spit-and-polish but I don't wear them very often.

Funerals are a special time in the North of Scotland. It is not unusual to see over 100 cars drive up our road in slow motion to the cemetery. When someone dies the whole family and most of the village attend the funeral, although the funeral tea is usually limited to family and friends.

Until recently (privatization) one could give Postie a letter and he would drop it off anywhere in the village on his rounds and the village post office would keep our mail under the counter whilst we were away on holiday. Privatization brought in a new manager from one of the big cities and he immediately stamped on all activities that made no profit.

#10 Bubblewrap: Why do you use sheep shears to clip your grass? The idea is: Sheep clip the grass and the shears clip the sheep. :)

• Upvote 1

My grass paths are too narrow & uneven for a mower and if I use a strimmer I might kill a frog (they hide in the longer grass)

And I am not willing to fork out for power tools just for the allotment.

• Upvote 2

Probably mentioned before under this topic but you don't see the old wooden clothes horses these days which, with a sheet chucked over them, we used as a tent outdoors, or indoors if we didn't use the table as a frame.

• Upvote 4

I've still got a wooden clothes horse, my grandkids used to love making a tent with a blanket over it. At my grans we used the big dining table as a den.

You don't see 'clippies' aka bus conductors anymore.

• Upvote 1

I made the wife a clothes horse many years back, it's in regular use during winter.