You Don't See This Much Nowadays !

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always shook hands with people I meet. When I meet male members of my family we shake hands and kiss on the cheek. It's a sign of love and respect. The ladies get a hug and a kiss. It's how we've

Walking through a country park with Mrs Catfan yesterday an elderly gent walked towards us, as he drew near he said good morning & then "doffed" his hat to Mrs Catfan ! How nice was that I though

Not so much don't see it much anymore as never seen it. After finding a car park in Ely yesterday we looked for somewhere to pay and found this notice. ' Parking here is free. Enjoy your day and tell

Along with the cap doffing and being addressed as 'Sir' there was the gentleman's agreement by shaking hands. Nowadays it's all about contracts and terms & conditions.

I hate being called 'madam', makes me sound like a brothel keeper!!

• Upvote 5

In the crazy upheavals at Birmingham New Street station a helpful member of staff gave me directions and addressed me as Miss. That made my day as it made me feel young!

As a science teacher I have been addressed as miss,sir, mum, dad and even as gran when the young people are engrossed in work and asking a question! We have had some good laughs! Recently I have worked in a pupil referral unit with youngsters who are excluded from school and in all kinds of deep trouble that I do not wish to know about. There the staff are called by first names and in this situation I am comfortable with that. I am just known as Shirley and we get on with the work. There is no lack of respect and I feel a sense of security. When they accidentally come out with a swear word then they always say "sorry". It is about mutual respect.

• Upvote 2

I've always shook hands with people I meet. When I meet male members of my family we shake hands and kiss on the cheek. It's a sign of love and respect. The ladies get a hug and a kiss. It's how we've always been and could be the reason why we are all like best friends. My Dad would shake hands with everyone so I've probably learnt from him. I've also spent many years working abroad where it's natural for everyone to shake hands.

In France, when they arrive in the office in the morning they will go round the office and shake hands with everyone before they start work. I'm obviously not refering to an office with 100 people working in it, haha. I think that shaking hands shows friendship and respect.

• Upvote 7

I agree, shaking hands is a gesture of respect and of having good manners.

I'm not so sure of the kissing on the cheek of male family members though . Ugh!

• Upvote 1

All this hugging!!! For crisake, what that all about? Something else from Yankeeland?

• Upvote 1

I would definitely kiss a genuine lady on her hand though.

• Upvote 1

Hi there

Yes the art of sir or madam is dying out - I remember when at school if a teacher entered the classroom we would all stand. When I started work it was Yes Sir to the boss every time and on entering his office it was always a polite knock on the door first even it the door was open.

In my Nursing days it was Sister or Matron or Staff Nurse as a mark of respect.

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 2

In the early 70's I worked at an amusement arcade/bingo hall, owned by George Akins' group. It was near Central Market and bus station. I earned the princely sum of £20 a week, and at Christmas I was given a £5 bonus by Mr George as I was the only member of staff who ever knocked on the office door and waited to be invited in, even though it was usually open and it was all glass panels anyway.

Ben - I love being called Duck, round here in Stoke it's Sugar. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yes it was catfan! There were a number of them around, one at Arnold opposite the Flying Scot chip shop where they served fish with gravy. An aquired taste maybe but I still have gravy on fish!!

• Upvote 1

In the early 70's I worked at an amusement arcade/bingo hall, owned by George Akins' group. It was near Central Market and bus station. I earned the princely sum of £20 a week, and at Christmas I was given a £5 bonus by Mr George as I was the only member of staff who ever knocked on the office door and waited to be invited in, even though it was usually open and it was all glass panels anyway.

Ben - I love being called Duck, round here in Stoke it's Sugar. :)

OrphanAnne i know a few people in Stoke and was surprised to hear them use 'Duck'............i like being called Sir in shops,but hate being called 'sweetheart' which they frequently do nowadays especially in Morrisons and Tesco....but my big hate is men who call me 'chap' and 'fella'

• Upvote 2

Here's a couple of shots of a German combo spotted this morning in Wick. I looked for Steve McQueen but didn't spot him:

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

• Upvote 3

Kissing the lady on the hand:

A couple of years ago my workplace had a visit from the government laboratory inspector. Her fierce reputation preceded her but undaunted, when introduced to the 'harridan' I took her hand and kissed it in welcome. We passed the inspection with flying colours and a big smile from the lady in question.

• Upvote 1