the notification place told me that another member had 'liked' a comment I'd made about his post but when I clicked on it to remind myself what it was I was told "you do not have permission to view this topic."

Have I done something wrong?

Were you logged in, Eileen? If you just come on the site without logging in, I don't think you can see certain things. That way non-members and lookyloos can't post.

It's happened to me twice today. It's when someone liked a post I made in a topic that was subsequently restricted by a moderator.

When I access the Notifications (top right, just left of my username), the message I get when clicking the hyperlink "post you made" is:

For my post in "where did my topic go":

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

You do not have enough posts to view topics in this forum.

For my post in "Political correctness":

Sorry, we couldn't find that!

You do not have permission to view this topic.

The latter seems to sit well with a hidden topic but the former is a bit misleading.

Cliff, it's the little icon next to my name that says 'notifications' when you click it. I was logged in all right. In fact I just logged out and signed in again to be sure and it still says I don't have permission to view the topic.

I'm not that bothered. I was just afraid that I'd broken some rule that I didn't know about.

(I feel as though a prefect caught me using the wrong door by accident.)

I've had it too, but usually it's when I've gone into 'my notifications ' and deleted pm's.