The English Language

I learned about the first world war from my grandfather, Ted Sparrow, who lived through it and, unusually for an Old Contemptible, never stopped talking about it. Similarly, my father never shut up about the second world war!  Both were convinced they were actually part of the same conflict and Ted, like many of his comrades, felt it was a huge mistake not to march into Germany and bash the Hun to the point where they could never cause any further trouble. The Armistice wasn't popular with those soldiers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There have been several topics recently, whereby mention has been made regarding the correct use of the English language, especially punctuation which certainly gets people baffled at times. I mentio

Yes, it's good when people's posts are spelt correctly but if they aren't then I couldn't care less. I'm more interested in what they have to say than if they've missed an apostrophe off or misspelt a

Why is everyone going on about grammar?  I suspect that  it's often predictive text or twitchy fingers that cause any mistakes on here anyway.   As long as the.post  is clear and unambiguous,  does it

Likewise with Japan Jill. From stories I've heard, and books I've read, it should have been TOTALLY ANNIHILATED. 

Flattened to the point of desolation.

The battle still rages !

My father had a cousin who served in the Far East, and he refused POINT BLANK to have anything of Jap manufacture in his house.

Can't fault it.

• Upvote 1

It is impossible for us to comprehend today, the devastation those conflicts inflicted on British families, many of whom lost sons, daughters and husbands in the hostilities, not to mention civilian deaths. It's not fashionable nor politically correct to talk about it now but it's still too recent to have passed from public consciousness. I well remember the bitterness of my relatives who suffered, loss, POW internment or lifelong physical and mental disability as a result of those wars.

What I do know is that I have tremendous respect for those who stood up to a power which tried to push this country around and we owe it to their memory never to forget.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Likewise with Japan Jill. From stories I've heard, and books I've read, it should have been TOTALLY ANNIHILATED. 

Flattened to the point of desolation.

Sadly  America is running the show..but I did like the tin plate robots as a child ;)

15 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Yes, the Japanese and the Germans did get a lot of help after the war and their economies were substantially revived. 

Put simply..Japan became an annex of the USA. West Germany due to the threat of the Soviets was redeveloped..The thing that baffles me, how after losing two wars, is Germany  running Europe?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes there a few eminent gurus, usually emanating from the States, whose ideas on production management and controls gave countries like Japan a head start in renewing and modernising their industries. For some reason, maybe because we were not offered it, did we latch on to modern ideas of manufacturing techniques until we saw how the Japs were surpassing us.

Well I'm glad America is now running the show. We'd be in a sorry state without them.

We can sleep soundly in our beds, knowing that they're on our side.

. Hurrah for the Red, White and Blue.

• Like 1

Sound out these three gems.

Red, White and Blue  (The angry American)..... Toby Keith.

Red, White and Blue . Military Tribute...... Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagles Fly..... Aaron Tippin.

Not just chest thumping gang ho stuff, but good honest patriotism.

• 1 month later...

Before making a post on How’s Your Day earlier (about having met two retired Braille translators) I thought I’d check to see if there was already a thread about blind people.  I was surprised how the word BLIND is used in so many ways on the forum, ie blind panic, swear blind, blind drunk, window blind, blind date, plus lots more.   If you’re bored just type the word BLIND into the search box!   

Blind Alley !  Blind Faith.

• 5 months later...

There are only two words in the English language that have ALL the vowels in alphabetical order.  This I find amazing.    One is FACETIOUS ..........anyone know the other word, without Google’s help?