The English Language

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There have been several topics recently, whereby mention has been made regarding the correct use of the English language, especially punctuation which certainly gets people baffled at times. I mentio

Yes, it's good when people's posts are spelt correctly but if they aren't then I couldn't care less. I'm more interested in what they have to say than if they've missed an apostrophe off or misspelt a

Why is everyone going on about grammar?  I suspect that  it's often predictive text or twitchy fingers that cause any mistakes on here anyway.   As long as the.post  is clear and unambiguous,  does it

• 8 months later...

There have been several topics recently, whereby mention has been made regarding the correct use of the English language, especially punctuation which certainly gets people baffled at times.

I mentioned the fact that some people's spelling and punctuation left a lot to be desired about a year or so ago, and was rightly rebuked by a lady telling me that it was the content that was important and not the way it was presented. I agree wholeheartedly, but it's nice to notice that other members feel the same way.

I've been told frequently that I'm nit picky, a friend of mine admits that she is pedantic where language and punctuation is concerned.

What I especially like are the word games. Some of the words people come up with at times are truly outstanding, and long may it continue. I cease to be amazed at how many words have similar meanings.

Well done folks !!!!

• Upvote 8

You're not the only one. !!!!!!! LOL

It's probably under a big cream cake Carni. LOL

• Upvote 4

Annie, many of the US spellings and grammar are actually old styles used in Britain over 100 years back, an example being "hogs" for pigs, also note, right into the 1920's British spelling of coal was coles, yep including the "s".

Firefox used to apply it's spell checker here at one time, but since the site software was upgraded, it doesn't seem to work.

Thankyou cliffTon, on the computer in the front room; the spell checker comes on as a red squiggle for wrong spelling and a green squiggle for Grammer. On my laptop it doesn't happen. Any ideas?

I wouldn't know, I have been using this Laptop for around 18months and there has never been any red squiggles. If I want to know how to spell a word I just google it how I think it is spelt and the word appears spelt correctly?

If I can't find it,I will ask my son on Wednesday.

• Upvote 1

Thankyou cliffTon, on the computer in the front room; the spell checker comes on as a red squiggle for wrong spelling and a green squiggle for Grammer. On my laptop it doesn't happen. Any ideas?

It may be related to the browser you are using. Are you using the same operating systems on both computers?

When I got my red lines I was looking at Nottstalgia using Chrome. I've just tried it using Firefox and I don't get red lines.