The English Language

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There have been several topics recently, whereby mention has been made regarding the correct use of the English language, especially punctuation which certainly gets people baffled at times. I mentio

Yes, it's good when people's posts are spelt correctly but if they aren't then I couldn't care less. I'm more interested in what they have to say than if they've missed an apostrophe off or misspelt a

Why is everyone going on about grammar?  I suspect that  it's often predictive text or twitchy fingers that cause any mistakes on here anyway.   As long as the.post  is clear and unambiguous,  does it

• 2 years later...

That all !  

On 2/15/2016 at 0:21 AM, Bubblewrap said:

Bra in English upperdeckaflopperstopper :)

And I always thought it was a 'doublewhopperflopperstopper'.

Help is at hand with https://www.grammarly.com/

It's free but there is a paid for version which it nags you about - not too insistent, though.

Note: I posted about this software yesterday, please don't think I have an interest in the product other than for helping out with problems.

7 minutes ago, catfan said:

I don't remember anyone asking for help with their grammar.

If people don’t know they have a problem they’re not likely to ask for help. 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, catfan said:

I don't remember anyone asking for help with their grammar.

If you're responding to my post, the program deals with more than grammar.

I was only trying to be of some help. If you don't want that, fine, just ignore me.

Why is everyone going on about grammar?  I suspect that  it's often predictive text or twitchy fingers that cause any mistakes on here anyway.   As long as the.post  is clear and unambiguous,  does it really matter?  In my opinion,  it's not kind or necessary to make snide or negative comments.   But their a gain.. wot do I no?

• Like 7

Correct RR, does it really matter if someone's grammar is not English "A" level standard or not, so long as the post is understood then that is all that should matter.

Right, back to nostalgia, bad grammar anall.

• Like 1

You lot just carry on as you are, my obsession with perfect English grammar and punctuation doesn’t stop me from enjoying all your comments on some fantastic and interesting topics.  It all stems from being tasked to do a great deal of proof-reading in one of my jobs many years ago and it’s still in me to pick out errors a mile off.   I can’t help it :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's the thought that counts.

Someone with perfect grammar and spelling could be the most boringly dull person on the planet.

Someone who carnt spel might come up with unusual stories and interesting information.

• Like 2

This proves your point NBL:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

It's a lot like wot I wrote...   ;)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It seems that I am being accused of being a member of the grammar police.

Let me point out that it was Cliff Ton and LizzieM that brought the up subject of grammar a few posts previously. All I was doing was offering some assistance to anyone who thought they might need it.

As far as I'm concerned, it's good to see my dialect written down so that I can attempt to practice getting my heritage back after so many years.

• Like 2