The English Language

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There have been several topics recently, whereby mention has been made regarding the correct use of the English language, especially punctuation which certainly gets people baffled at times. I mentio

Yes, it's good when people's posts are spelt correctly but if they aren't then I couldn't care less. I'm more interested in what they have to say than if they've missed an apostrophe off or misspelt a

Why is everyone going on about grammar?  I suspect that  it's often predictive text or twitchy fingers that cause any mistakes on here anyway.   As long as the.post  is clear and unambiguous,  does it

#21 SueB48, It is a long time since I saw a green squiggle myself; I do believe it was when I had Word, but I haven't got Word any more, so I have no squiggles of any colour at the moment. Life without squiggles is very lonely, especially when you know other people have got them.

catfan, I am just going to give it a try?

Catfan, I tried and failed, the instructions in the link, looked easy enough, but I couldn't even get past Settings. Advanced Settings never came up, so I couldn't go any further. I have gone this long without the checker, so I can wait untill my son comes round. I will show him your link.

• Upvote 1

I'm using Firefox at the moment instead of Chrome that I usually use. I have got green squiggles and red squiggles on Chrome but nothing with Firefox. I prefer to use Chrome

• Upvote 2

I feel sorry for the kids today.

They are taught english at school and are bombarded with american spellings in all areas of the media, adverts McDonalds, iPhones. How are they to know which is proper? They then have the added confusion of textspeak.

BYKT BTW, B4N.

There used to be a small shop on Mansfield Road in Sherwood that sold stationery and above the window the had the word "Stationary".

Currently there a retail outlet selling car tyres at the bottom of Sherwood Rise. On one side of the entrance it mentions Puncture but on the other side it states Punture.

Willoughby Cars sold me a Peugeot years ago with the number plates having Peugeot spelt as Puegeot. Amazing !

Back in the 60s when i worked for Marsdens' (in case you did'nt know) the Manager in Bulwell put a sign in the window 'SLITELY CHIPED EGGS' many customers came in to tell him about his terrible spelling,.............but the Eggs sold very quickly............he was an early 'Arkwright'

• Upvote 3

Granddaughter made a list of items that she had packed in her bag when leaving home to visit us. The idea was that she would go over the list when leaving here to ensure that nothing was left behind. The list contained several spelling errors but one line stands out in my mind:

"4 pears of nikkers".

She is 9yrs old and BOTH of her parents are teachers.

:crazy:

• Upvote 4

Still got an old school photo with a note i'd left for me Mam written on the back,........'gon to pitchurs,waring me knew shoos'.............,i was 14,

only joking i wus 12, :)

• Upvote 3

Whilst on holiday in India in 1994 I chanced upon this little gem of a menu in a Tamil Nadu café:

Brakfast

Full Brakfast

-or-

Pochied egg

Dinner

Fruit salad custed

Manchooriyan chicken

Maccheroni

Chiness chop suey

Italiyan spaghetti

Beef steik

Russin salad

Thank you,

Please come forward with a hand of co-operation to help us serve you better suggestion of any kind of cuisine are always welcome and we shall try in our limits later you at our best.

Thank you

Namaste

Colly, I don't think that would work because people pronounce words differently depending on where they were brought up. For instance, round here, people would say " The parth went on the grarse up to the carsul" and I don't think many Nottstalgians would feel happy to pronounce it that way! It would be easier and more logical to pronounce it using short 'a' s but then there would be an outcry from the Southerners. I think there was a reading scheme which tried to teach English by using the pure sounds of each letter but it failed. Was it called ITA - can't remember...

Reckon my Dad had it sorted,he was forever pronouncing words the way they were spelt,and whenever i struggle with a spelling i can hear him saying things like BIS-CU-IT and BEN-JAM-IN,and SCISS-ORS,........is that the scheme you meant Marge?

Not exactly, B45. I've just googled it and found out it had 45 symbols which represented every English sound, so there were more than the ordinary alphabet. When my kids were little I remember saying BIS CU IT every time to help them with their spelling!

And still say 'skissors' even now, sometimes. This spell checker was determined I wasn't going to write that word - at one point it substituted 'kissers'

And don't forget "i before e, except after c" Not always right, but mostly so.