The English Language

Blimey Lizzie, it's a bit early for resurrecting the old grey matter ! 

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There have been several topics recently, whereby mention has been made regarding the correct use of the English language, especially punctuation which certainly gets people baffled at times. I mentio

Yes, it's good when people's posts are spelt correctly but if they aren't then I couldn't care less. I'm more interested in what they have to say than if they've missed an apostrophe off or misspelt a

Why is everyone going on about grammar?  I suspect that  it's often predictive text or twitchy fingers that cause any mistakes on here anyway.   As long as the.post  is clear and unambiguous,  does it

Actually, I think there's more, but they're botanical terms derived from Latin I presume. Do they count ?

One could be facetious and facetiously mention Ms Sparrows word 'abstemious' but that would possibly be a little affectious...

• Upvote 1

It's reassuring to see that some of us still speak and understand proper English ! Well done.

Think about it. We were given two, facetious and abstemious. Simply adding ly to the ends gives two more though I thought of using the second only after I pressed send. The word affectious I use occasionally, usually in the form of an insult...   ;)

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

(Whilst avoiding the twerp with the camera.)

It's a very long time since I have heard the word "twerp".

I will now embark on a crusade to re-establish its use.

It is a very useful descriptive word

Blimey.....Crickey....and Twerp.........don't care where they came from,,but they are lovely old words that remind me of me dear old Dad and Granddads,,,their way of swearing.............:wacko:

So called 'bad language' is much more prevalent these days. In real terms they are only words that cause offence solely when directed at a person. I'm sure many of us use expletives as a norm when annoyed. I know I do but my wife never does. Perhaps after being on the factory floor for 25 years it just becomes part of normal conversation. My wife was a teacher so was not subjected to hearing regular swearing and had to put an immediate stop to it when she did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

CT Very interesting post.  I love how we use language and also how the meaning of words has changed over the years

The English language has always fascinated me and, partially, for a reason I didn't even recognize until I was in my 20s.

I have Colour Grapheme Synaesthesia which, very basically, means that I see letters in colour and, also, words in colour.  My sister also has it, to an extent, but not to the same degree that I do, apparently.

As children, we were often chided for arguing about the colours of the days of the week instead of going to sleep at night. To me, Monday is brown. To my sister, it's a different colour. I thought everyone saw letters and words in colour, so didn't understand when my parents told us to stop being  silly and go to sleep. They didn't have Synaesthesia. My sister's children don't have it,either.

When I started school at 4 years old, I tore the alphabet chart from the wall because, I claimed, the colours were all wrong. That brought a telling off (not a good start) and a sideways, perplexed look from the teacher.

No one really knows what causes Synaesthesia (and there are many different types) but it is something one is born with.  It can be useful because, if I can't think of someone's name, I can often bring it to mind by its  colour. I don't often discuss it because,quite honestly, many people think I must be potty. I'm not. Potty is green... And Jill is black!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Never heard of that before Jill, 

Jimi Hendrix makes more than once, a similar reference, one on video..he's thinking here..

Suggests a thinking mind, are you musical??

Congrats on your self-diagnosis in your twenties,

Age 59.. diagnosed with Autism..

My best mates 'got it' also by my secondary observation, iv'e always found myself drawn to these sought of people..

The old man who gave me Grubby apples, he would have been born about 1870 !