The English Language

On 5/15/2020 at 7:53 PM, philmayfield said:

Perhaps after being on the factory floor for 25 years it just becomes part of normal conversation.

Phil, I worked in the automotive component manufacturing industry in Sydney and had a boss who had a permanent cigarette in his mouth and in the factory almost every second word was an expletive in a broad Glaswegian accent.

I went to see him give a speech at an industry event and thought this could be interesting. I was amazed, eloquent, articulate and not a trace of an accent. It was as if there were two different people, one at work and one outside of work.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There have been several topics recently, whereby mention has been made regarding the correct use of the English language, especially punctuation which certainly gets people baffled at times. I mentio

Yes, it's good when people's posts are spelt correctly but if they aren't then I couldn't care less. I'm more interested in what they have to say than if they've missed an apostrophe off or misspelt a

Why is everyone going on about grammar?  I suspect that  it's often predictive text or twitchy fingers that cause any mistakes on here anyway.   As long as the.post  is clear and unambiguous,  does it

4 hours ago, HSR said:

Jimi Hendrix makes more than once, a similar reference, one on video..he's thinking here..

Suggests a thinking mind, are you musical??

Congrats on your self-diagnosis in your twenties,

Yes, I've played the piano since I was three years old but, then, all the members of my mother's family were musical.  I read an article on Synaesthesia when I was in my 20s and Nottingham university ran an appeal, asking for those who thought they had it to participate in a research project. I was astounded how many different types there are.

It's interesting how many people are being diagnosed with autism in their 50s and 60s. It's been suggested that I have Asperger's but, to me, it's just a label. I am who I am. Too late to change now!

Musicians do think differently. I certainly do. I am also aware that I am 'different' to the point that I am proud of it. 

Research suggests that musicians have a greater number of synapses in their brains and, interestingly, one of the theories for Synaesthesia is that very same reason. We are all born with a far greater number of synapses than we will ever need and, as we grow up, the brain 'prunes' these synapses. One theory suggests that this fails to occur in people who have the condition.