Scenes from Saturday Night Sunday Morning

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now the second instalment. Albert Finney looking moody. On his right is the Ordnance factory in the Meadows. The chimneys are Wilford power station.   Beaconsfield Terrace agai

The film is a great reminder of how Nottingham looked in the early 60s. Think of this thread as a shortened version of the film; a few shots of various locations which should bring back memories and n

And finally.... Another Terrace photo. Everybody knew one somewhere.   Looking across the railways yards towards Wilford power station and part of the Meadows. Castle Boulevard wo

Funny int'it got me thinking about all the Brendas ive known,,,, there was my Cousin Brenda,,who married Ronnie,,who got me my job at Marsdens,,,

Then there was Brenda Smith ,in my class at school,,Brenda Sharp,,who I chased and never caught..lived on Heathfield estate,,Big Brenda my dance partner,,Beeston lads club 1960,,and finally Brenda from Birmingham (Alum Rock) great girl and friend of Doreen from Tamworth,,,who's bath I woke up in,just wearing a pair of Gloves,,,...….yes just love Brendas and Doreens……..:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Had a Doreen Peters lived opposite us on Denton st. At the bottom, Grant st., was Brenda Grainger. Wonder where they are now?

I was born in 1950 so SN&SM was a few years before my time. I've always loved the film however and can remember many of the places featured particularly the Nottingham canal where my dad and I used to walk along the tow path from Woodyard Lane to Wollaton when I was about 7 or 8. I also spent many happy hours with my dad watching football and cricket being played on the Raleigh Sports Ground usually on a Sunday. As a youngster I used to stand in  the Castle grounds enjoying the view across Midland Station out to the Football Grounds and beyond. There's a scene towards the end of the film that features my dad's old employer W. J. Simms Sons & Cooke Ltd featured on a hoarding. He worked for them for over 35 years.

Another Nottingham based Alan Sillitoe novel is the lesser known The Ragman's Daughter which was also made into a film in 1972. It's discussed elsewhere on this site. I visited the chip shop on Berridge Rd that features in the film many times as a teenager.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Brenda from Birmingham (Alum Rock) great girl and friend of Doreen from Tamworth,,,who's bath I woke up in,just wearing a pair of Gloves,,,...….yes just love Brendas and Doreens……..:rolleyes:

Oh, not again! This is on a par with the budgie in the shed incident which he won't expand on.

You cannot post comments like that and leave us all hanging. Think of Loppy's blood pressure, for one thing. It's doing him no good. So, come on, let's be hearing the rest of it.

• Like 2

OH go on then Jill.........Doreen lived in Tamworth with John,,who I worked with around Birmingham,,,i was engaged to Trina from Carlton and we had gone to stay with John and Doreen for Xmas 1965 I think......…..anyway Christmas eve was a great party...and I Danced a lot with Brenda from Alum Rock,,...……..next morning Brenda had gone and Doreen and Trina weren't talking to me,,,and that's all I recall,,,on the Barton bus going home,Trina started to talk to me again,,,i was still wearing the gloves,,with my Italian suit,,but no socks.........must have been a great night.....lol

• Like 3

I wasn't really old enough to be aware of the film when it first came out, but I've caught up in recent years.  Many scenes bring back memories of visiting my grandparents; one set lived in Radford and the others in Lenton, so there's a lot to recognise.

Willoughby Street, at its junction with Derby Road and the Methodist Church which can be seen across the road...........Looking up and down Hartley Road, Radford.........Faraday Road........Up and down Derby Road (near Hooleys)......The scenes from the Castle.......City Centre at night......The backyards and 'sculleries'.

When I was researching family history a few years ago, I discovered a relative on my mother's side had lived on Beaconsfield Terrace in the 1930s, so they would almost certainly have known the Sillitoe family who lived there at that time.

• Like 2

Seeing that shot from the castle,looking toward Wilford power station suddenly reminded me when I actually drove my car up there to the castle entrance. It was when my son was alive and being disabled, we had an orange badge for him, (now a blue badge). I rang the castle and asked if there was any disabled parking, for a visit. I was politely told that when I wanted to visit , just let them know and they would open the gates at the side of the entrance. This I did and on arrival, I reported to the entrance. One of the keepers nipped out and opened the gates and showed me the route up to the castle entrance. Thus enabling my son to see that spectacular view before going inside for his first ever visit to a castle.

Thank you Nottingham castle, 1978, for your kindness and consideration.

• Like 5

Our Ben's claiming the fifth amendment. Can't remember! I'd love to know what he's omitted from that tale! Perhaps he would, too.

CT, while researching my family tree, I also discovered a distant relative, born Phyllis Jackson, who had lived in the same terrace as the Sillitoe family. She said they were an 'interesting' lot!

• Like 1

I know this topic is Saturday Night and Sunday morning, but two more films spring to mind, i know that these were not filmed in Nottingham. but they were still good films.

1/ A Kind of Loving  Alan Bates

and (i know this was telly before the film)

2 Kathy Come Home.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 2/28/2020 at 6:21 AM, letsavagoo said:

Have a look at this.......absolutely brilliant.....got no likes in 2020...

• Like 3

Well I've given it a like Ben ! As a matter of fact, I was one of those extras in the first picture, riding a cycle behind Albert Finney.

Thanks very very much for those poignant reminders of my stomping ground. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Funny how things you did in your past keep coming back when you least expect them.

I started this thread in 2015 with a load of screen shots off a DVD. I've lost count how many times I've seen them reappear all over the internet.

They are great reminders of how life looked when I was a kid, going to my grandparents house.

• Like 2
On 11/1/2018 at 7:56 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Could have played that part Jill,, after all did get beat up on goose fare,,fell down stairs in pubs in radford,,and took all me girl friends ""up the castle"" if you'll pardon the expression,,   lol 

Also had girlfriends called Doreen and Brenda........lol

Plus a couple of similarities with Alan Silitoe........

Same birthday..

Born in a Red Brick council house in Nottingham.....

Went to Sec. Modern school.......;)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Plus a couple of similarities with Alan Silitoe........

When I was doing family history research a few years ago, I discovered I'd had relatives who lived on Beaconsfield Terrace (off Salisbury Street) at the same time as the Sillitoe family were living there.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see those old photos. I lived on Faraday Road opposite the old gas works.There was a vacant block of land with us on one side and The White Horse Pub on the other which I think was run by an American chap.

I remember fishing in the old Wollaton Canal and the Raleigh Pond. My dad (Les Newberry)worked at Raleigh from 1946 to 1964 when we moved to Australia.

• Upvote 1