Scenes from Saturday Night Sunday Morning

The film is a great reminder of how Nottingham looked in the early 60s. Think of this thread as a shortened version of the film; a few shots of various locations which should bring back memories and nostalgia. (and saves you having to watch the whole film).

Looking up Derby Road towards Canning Circus with the Borlase across the top.

oTuHyuI.jpg

Looking down Derby Road towards Chapel Bar.

Y4eITg9.jpg

Looking up Angel Row towards Chapel Bar; the bottom of Market Street is to the right of the bus, and to the left of the bus you can see the name "Odeon" spelt vertically. The bus seems to be a 16 to Bilborough.

EcpbV65.jpg

Willoughby Street in Lenton, looking towards Castle Boulevard. Derby Road is behind the camera, with the Savoy cinema to the right.

Y1ZuJmh.jpg

The kind of backyard many people remember. Either you lived in similar conditions, or you knew someone who did (eg. my grandparents in Radford)

WZ5z7CY.jpg

Beaconsfield Terrace, used in the film, but it could be almost anywhere.

GkDIvpU.jpg

Looking down Hartley Road, Radford, towards Radford Boulevard.

1H9EIeH.jpg

There's a limit on how many images you can post in one thread; so part 2 will follow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 14
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now the second instalment. Albert Finney looking moody. On his right is the Ordnance factory in the Meadows. The chimneys are Wilford power station.   Beaconsfield Terrace agai

The film is a great reminder of how Nottingham looked in the early 60s. Think of this thread as a shortened version of the film; a few shots of various locations which should bring back memories and n

And finally.... Another Terrace photo. Everybody knew one somewhere.   Looking across the railways yards towards Wilford power station and part of the Meadows. Castle Boulevard wo

Great stuff 'cliff ton',..............theres a new 'Now and then' book coming out just about 'Sat night--Sunday morning,..........and oh by the way that shot on Willoughby st. just misses a 'Marsdens' shop,........i used to work for them ya'know,.....lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

I remember that film very well - (Saturday night and Sunday morning).......I was at a Technical School in Nottingham and some of us went down to watch the filming, we tried to get in the shots, but were told to move along, my friend's auntie was drinking in the pub when the filming took place where Albert Finney fell down the stairs drunk, I am sure it was the Hand and Heart on Derby Road.............I saw the film at the Byron Cinema in Hucknall (where I lived) in 1960............

And now the second instalment.

Albert Finney looking moody. On his right is the Ordnance factory in the Meadows. The chimneys are Wilford power station.

0SGhWTD.jpg

Beaconsfield Terrace again.

yCFY0Tc.jpg

Another view of Angel Row with the Odeon.

w0GhS37.jpg

Was this one of the scenes in the White Horse? With the "Don't forget the Pork - Farms - Pie" which you used to see everywhere.

Kk6WopF.jpg

Salisbury Street again. Radford gasworks at the bottom.

F0fwhUl.jpg

Hylda Baker's "house", with a kettle in the fireplace.

ySoUiW5.jpg

I'm going to have to go to Part 3.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 15

And finally....

Another Terrace photo. Everybody knew one somewhere.

H03lvmD.jpg

Looking across the railways yards towards Wilford power station and part of the Meadows. Castle Boulevard would be running along the bottom of the photo, just out of vision. All the railway land now is the Castle Marina complex.

AMNRYVB.jpg

Another kitchen.

2XMwYee.jpg

How many people notice an early, small role for a young Peter Sallis (Norman Clegg & the voice of Wallace).

1exRNJ7.jpg

Faraday Road with the Raleigh factories.

44R1VhV.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 10

More great pics. I'm about ready to watch the film again, I never tire of it. The yards and toilets on Beaconsfield terrace are identical to my grandparents on Vicarage Street. I can just picture the squares of newspaper hanging on a piece of string and little white disinfectant tablets on the toilet floor. Ahh memories. :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much for this brings back some great memories.

#5 Could well be a Streamline/Black&White. They were the City hackney carriage at the time and their office and radio shack were on the left just above the car.

East Midlands Gas Radford was not in fact a gas production plant, there (if I remember correctly) two gas holders, the remainder of the depot was the offices and stockyard for the Mains & Service branch.

• 2 months later...

Just booked seats for Saturday Night and Sunday Morning at the Savoy 12 o clock this Sunday.

It look's like there are plenty of seats so you can probably get tickets on the door £3.I might also buy

the book at £9 should be interesting.

Am babysitting this weekend Sue, but would have gone.....have a good time....such a classic

I was watching Notts TV and his son was talking about having a statue in Nottingham ....didn't realise he wrote sat night / sun morning in Mallorca .....

A great film, and so typical of the era and area !

• Like 1