Scenes from Saturday Night Sunday Morning

On 8/12/2015 at 8:51 PM, Cliff Ton said:

44R1VhV.jpg

I'm following A.F. on a borrowed bike. My only claim to stardom ! Stayed a Raleigh until I was 18 and old enough to get a job on the buses. B

• Like 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now the second instalment. Albert Finney looking moody. On his right is the Ordnance factory in the Meadows. The chimneys are Wilford power station.   Beaconsfield Terrace agai

The film is a great reminder of how Nottingham looked in the early 60s. Think of this thread as a shortened version of the film; a few shots of various locations which should bring back memories and n

And finally.... Another Terrace photo. Everybody knew one somewhere.   Looking across the railways yards towards Wilford power station and part of the Meadows. Castle Boulevard wo

Bryan Pringle,,Rachel Roberts husband with the motorbike combination,,was probably the most local actor in the film,,he was from Tamworth,,,not a lot of folk know that,, lol,

I was at school with a girl called Marian Perry,,(before she went to Manning) who lived on Andover road, Bestwood estate,,,,  anyway her Dad was riding one of them bikes,, even less folk know that,,  lol,

No, but mr Perry lived across the road from Marsdens,,and i often served him with half pound of bacon,, lol

There are virtually no Nottingham actors in that film. Albert Finney tried his best but sounds pure Liverpool to me! His mother is clearly a Londoner and his father's from West Yorkshire, judging by the accent.

Why bother with Albert Finney when they could have had our Ben? He can do the accent and, from the stories he tells, was ten times worse than Arthur Seaton with the women!

• Like 3

Could have played that part Jill,, after all did get beat up on goose fare,,fell down stairs in pubs in radford,,and took all me girl friends ""up the castle"" if you'll pardon the expression,,   lol 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
On 8/12/2015 at 8:51 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Faraday Road with the Raleigh factories.

44R1VhV.jpg

I'm following A.F. on a borrowed bike. My only claim to stardom ! Stayed a Raleigh until I was 18 and old enough to get a job on the buses. B

• Upvote 1

As I have previously mentioned I worked at Raleigh for almost 4 years 1970-73. Most of it hadn't changed a deal from the opening shots in the film. Certainly the machine shops were the same. Probably some new automatic laths here and there but essential all looked exactly the same. I was lucky in that I was on the 'staff' not factory but was a humble gofer in the concept design dept. Rather than being stuck in one place In a repetitive task I went all over the factory for various things which was fabulous in that I saw every inch of this marvellous company in its halcyon but final days. The vast majority of the factory was single storey spread over a large area. One of the few exceptions was the frame store where the frames were stacked on wooden racks over several floors. It was on the main open roadway that ran all the way from Lenton Boulevard down to Faraday Road. I'd often go there to collect a frame for the office. There weren't any Windows as such but vertical wooden louvre slats you could peep out giving a view over the factory spread out around. Those shots of the Beaconsfield Terrace with the factory in the background brought that back to mind. The various flues and chimneys and rows and rows of saw tooth roofs. I loved my time there but the lure of more money I left for John Players.

in response to the comment on this or another SNSM thread. There are a number of continuity things that knowing the city don't quite make sense. Leaving Lenton to jump on a bus on Derby Road the other side of Canning Circus makes no sense and assuming in the above shot he's going home, he's going the wrong way. It doesn't matter a jot to me. It's a fabulous film, a masterpiece of its kitchen sink type. I just love it. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Our first house was 34 Tyne St. in Lenton, it was opposite the back entrance of The Blacks Head pub on Park St.

They were filming Saturday night and Sunday morning on our street and I was inside the house.

Some of the film crew and actors were messing about when suddenly Norman Rossington who was in the film crashed into our front door and landed on the settee. He scrambled up with apologies and left quicker than he entered.

As a matter of interest. My late father was in the opening sequence of the film directly behind Albert Finney  on the lathe in the turnery department at Raleigh Industries.

• Like 2

Yep Brew, my Dad spent his working life at the ROF, standing at a bench, and always had a collar and tie on.  If he went out In the evening he always wore a suit, much like the majority of men of his generation. 

I think the tie went out at work in the 60's on safety grounds, ties and rotating machinery don't mix.

I remember my 1st year at tech for the NCB, no ties at work, no ties in the workshops, no loose clothes, must wear overalls in the workshop, long hair had to be covered with a hair net, one apprentice had long hair and objected, there's the door young man, take your indentures to your training officer and he'll tear them up.

They just didn't argue with us, rules were rules and they were made to protect us.

7 hours ago, ValuerJim said:

Any idea of the location of the fishing scenes, with Norman Rossington?

Not all of the filming was done in Nottingham. It seems there may be misinformation or confusion as I’ve read that the Goose Fair scenes were not done at Nottingham but I’ve also read they were. I remember as a very young child being taken on the fair and seeing large stage lights and cameras set up next to one of the rides with some action and crowds looking on. When older recalling this I always believed it was SNSM being filmed but who knows. Although Arthur is seen riding his bike and turning into the canal side at Lenton near where Central studios were, the scene where they are sat fishing was not done in Nottingham. 
I think this link has been posted before but it’s worth a look.

http://www.ciaranbrown.com/snasmlocations.html

• Like 1

Some crackin' scene comparisons Lets', well done for sourcing them. Very much appreciated by me any road! (I followed AF. in the opening scene. Never understood why, when he's supposed to be going home, he is cycling the opposite way, heading for Derby road.)

• Upvote 1

A really good film and very real to Nottingham of the time,,,....I'm sure many of us on Nottstalgia can relate to the time late 50s early 60s,,

A great cast,,although none were Nottingham people and their accents were generally more Northern,,non the less some names that went on to become household names,,,Hylda Baker,,Shirley Ann Field,,Jack Smethurst,,Peter Sallis,,Rachel Roberts and a few others,,,It was the first film I saw that remotely seemed like our real life here in Nottingham,,

I think every bloke of a certain age went out with a Doreen,,,great old name,,,and i'm just as certain we all had a 'Knock off' named Brenda,,,sorry to all Brenda's,,but you were popular......Did you blokes on here do any of those things that Arthur did ?

1/ went out with a Doreen and Brenda,,

2/ Got beat up,,by two brothers,,

3/ Fished in Wollaton canal,,

4/ Fell down the stairs in a Pub in Radford

5/ Ran down Derby road,,

6/ Took a girlfriend up the Castle,,,...…...

If you didn't,you should have...…..lol

• Like 2