Stuff you can't buy anymore

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once knew a bloke who used hemp for his joints, he wasn't a plumber though.

Yes i was Tapering my threads the other day,and thought 'Crikey' if only i had some 'Boss blue' round me 'Plumbing joints' twud make the job much more enjoyable,............i sighed and just 'Soldered

Always lead to believe that British Standard Pipe (BSP) is a thread size not a spanner size, A lot of electrical and model stuff is In British Assiciation (BA) size and British Standard Fine (BSF) and

#72, Still the same on this side too, nowt has changed in years with steel pipe.

But they try to fix stuff that don't need fixing. Boss White cannot be used on potable water hence the arrival of 'Blue' nowhere near as good as the original. Lead free solder for potable water despite the miles of lead underground pipe.

It's just away of making money!

Solder here is lead free too, although it's still available for electronics, but only from internet stores. The military has gone back to ALL lead solders, the new lead free tends to "grow" whiskers, metal crystals of tin, which end up shorting circuits out. Keep an eye open for them in your computers when you do a spot of annual cleaning in them!!

Lead free also tends to crack with age.

I've got two sticks (3/8th 'diameter' by 16 inches long) of solder. Had them for nearly 40 years. They won't be lead-free.

Your not alone Roger, I'm coming apart at the seams too.

Chulla: If you have solder made from lead-tin alloy it will work perfectly. This, of course, means that it will have been banned and you should not use it. Please go out and buy yourself some modern non-stick solder for future use.

• 6 years later...

Got a WhatsApp text last week “What, where, time we meeting Friday?” I was 2500 odd miles away horizontal around the pool, forgot I had standing ticket for The Specials @ the Arena & the ticket was a QR code on me phone, now I haven’t even got a physical unused paper stub for me collection & me fifty quid, bleddy technology.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Offered a cigarette to a pretty girl here in the Philippines,  and said do yer smoke ?

Only when set on fire came her reply !

• Like 1